PDA

View Full Version : Source for 2.5" Epilog Mini lens?

John Noell
02-13-2009, 9:46 PM
Does anyone know the best place to get a 2.5" (or 3" if they exist) lens for an Epilog Mini? (I searched the archives but could not find any discussion of this.) I do a lot of curved material (coconut shell) and sure could use a bit more depth of field. (But I do not have enough z-axis room for the 4" lens.)

Frank Corker
02-14-2009, 8:17 AM
John the standard lens that was supplied with your machine is the 2.0". There are two others, a 4.0" and a 1.5" Go here to read about what does what:
http://www.epiloglaser.com/tl_focuslens_101.htm

Dave Johnson29
02-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Does anyone know the best place to get a 2.5" (or 3" if they exist) lens

and sure could use a bit more depth of field. (But I do not have enough z-axis room for the 4" lens.)

Hi John,

If you are handy with a screwdriver then these people sell bare lens. They list several 3". You will need to know the diameter of the lens.
[/URL]
http://www.laserresearch.net/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=263 (http://www.laserresearch.net/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=263)

They list a 2.5" under Epilog Mini
[url]http://www.laserresearch.net/laserengravers2.asp?manufacturer_id=2

Register on the site (free) and it will then show prices. I have been buying laser optics from them for 6+ years (maybe 8) with no problems. No connection to them just a satisfied customer.

If you can't get the correct diameter for your laser, I can machine up an adapter if you can send me a sample lens mount. Email if interested.

John Noell
02-14-2009, 2:10 PM
I was told there is a new 2.5" lens for the mini/helix. Not a lot different than the 2" but even a little bit would help with the curved shells. I know it is not (yet) listed on the Epilog site but supposedly it exists.

John Noell
02-14-2009, 2:11 PM
Thanks Dave but the only mount I have is the one I am using and you could not pry it out of my fingers until I get another one!!!!

(Anyone know a source of mounts for the Epilog Mini/Helix? I would prefer to keep both lenses ready to use.)

Frank Corker
02-14-2009, 3:43 PM
John if I'm not mistaken, Lord knows I have been a lot just lately, how are you going to keep the same mount when the focal lens distance are different, how are you going to focus?

Dave Johnson29
02-14-2009, 7:05 PM
and you could not pry it out of my fingers until I get another one!!!!

I understand John, I thought you said you had an 1.5" but must have misread that. I do that sometimes. :)

Maybe we can borrow one from someone who has two. I guess first it might be helpful if I could see how the mount mounts. Given Frank's last post, I am not sure I understand how it all looks.

Perhaps you or someone could take some photos of the mount and where it goes.

John Noell
02-14-2009, 7:07 PM
I was figuring (probably wrongly) that the only variable the lens would affect is the distance from the lens to the focal point. The beam should be the same as it gets TO the lens, then gets focused by the lens at the specified distance, in this case 2.5 rather than 2". In stead of using my 2" gauge I will focus by using my gauge plus 95% of my pinkie finger width. :)

Peck Sidara
02-16-2009, 11:26 AM
For the Mini/Helix laser systems, we offer an optional 1.5" lens assembly (complete assembly w/ focus gauge). The 1.5" lens mounts .5" lower then the 2" lens and does not affect auto-focus. The swap lens assemblies, there are two allen head screws for easy removal/installation.

We do not offer a 2.5" lens for the Mini/Helix.

The Legend EXT has an optional 1.5" and 4" lens as both standard and cone lenses.

If you find/use a 2.5" lens or 4" lens on the Mini/Helix, you'll have to make up you're own focus gauge. Note that by going this route, auto-focus won't work properly and the air-assist won't be as effective.

Lens mounting brackets/holders/assemblies are manufactured specifically for Epilog and will not likely be available on the open market. If you're looking for a specific part, contact our tech support group.

Dave Johnson29
02-16-2009, 12:27 PM
For the Mini/Helix laser systems, we offer an optional 1.5" lens assembly

Hi Peck,

The OP wanted greater depth of field for the in-focus section of the beam.

Wouldn't the 1.5" have less? I am not challenging you, I just want to understand in case you are using a different type of focus lens like a Plano Concave or Positive Meniscus to get the dept of focus extended.

Peck Sidara
02-16-2009, 1:18 PM
Hi Dave,

The 1.5" lens definitely has less depth of field than the 2, 2.5 or 4" lenses available out there on the market. Just wanted to clarify which lenses are optional for the Epilog models.

For any application engraving/cutting contoured items such as a coconut shell, a longer lens would help keep the beam stay in focus for longer depths keeping the engraving consistent.

In most cases the stock 2" lens is great for both engraving and cutting. If you've seen some of our gunstock samples, these were done using a standard 2" lens, focused in the middle.

The lenses we use are plano/convex w/ a diameter of .75".

John Noell
02-16-2009, 5:49 PM
Peck, I am quite prepared to deal with manual focus as I never use autofocus anyway. Making a new guide should be easy enough. Given the compound curvature of the shell it is very hard to know exactly what point to focus on anyway. That's why a bit more depth of field would be so helpful.
Dave, I will try to get a decent picture to you ASAP. Thanks!

Dave Johnson29
02-16-2009, 6:02 PM
That's why a bit more depth of field would be so helpful.
Dave, I will try to get a decent picture to you ASAP.

Hi John,

Thanks to Peck letting us know the 0.750" diameter Plano Convex, that is a common size and if you are handy with tools you should be able to replace just the lens. That link I gave you would get you the right one.

When you take the 2" lens out of it's mount, use a lens cloth and gently rub the top and bottom between your finger and thumb to detect the surface curvature. Make sure you put the new on in the same way up.

The curvature is hard to see and feeling them is the best way. Be gentle and patient. :)

Now knowing the size of the lens, I will not need a pic as the new 2.5" should drop in for you. I only wanted a pic to see if I could make an adapter if you could not get the right size lens.

John Noell
02-17-2009, 12:56 AM
Gulp. Guess I will soon order the 2.5" and try to drop it in. :)

Dave Johnson29
02-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Guess I will soon order the 2.5" and try to drop it in.

Good luck, I think you will be surprised how easy it is once you have doe it the first time. Email a pic of the lens mount if you need some help.