PDA

View Full Version : need help with router table and cuts

Shannon Kruse
02-13-2009, 9:20 PM
My brother and I are trying to make sawhorses for his router table, and since our space and money is rather limited (not to mention our skill), we are attempting to make due with what we have.

My brother recently bought a Bosch router (the one with the interchangeable plunge attachment) and is wanting to make a 15 degree angle cut with a straight bit. We have made a router table that is 2 ft long and some shims that are cut at 15 degrees.

With some of the failed cuts he has a problem of stability and slipping.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do from here? Is the only option to buy another bit or is there a way to adapt the table to our needs?

jeff begin
02-14-2009, 12:04 AM
To make sure I understand you: You're attempting a 15 degree bevel cut with a straight bit in a router? That definitely does not sound safe. Do you have a table or circular saw? It would be much easier to do this with either of those. If not, I'm sure you could find a used circular saw on Craigslist for under $30.

If you definitely want to use a router, try finding the proper chamfer bit (but a saw is still the better choice)

ROY DICK
02-14-2009, 8:20 AM
Shannon,
Your not that far from Rockler in Mesquite, go by and ask Russ, Chris, or Mark, if they say a circular saw the borg is right across the street.

Roy

Craig T. Smith
02-14-2009, 8:31 AM
Shannon, I saw in a mag. someone built a sled from plywood, for use on angle cuts on a TS. They made a slider then cut webs at the desired angle then put on a top and hold down clamps and miter runners. I don't know if you could do this for you project or not. If you do take light cuts and keep a close eye out for safety concerns. Happy Woodworking, Craig