PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Fence

Clint Schlosser
02-13-2009, 8:46 PM
I have been unhappy with my stock fence on my Jet 10" contractor/hybrid saw. I have been looking at some after market fences and I see they are about $300+. In particular I have been looking at the

50" vega (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002261Z?tag=demechman-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B00002261Z&adid=1EG76XX0AT7MT035CN4W&)

What is the creekers' perspective on replacing stock fences? Is it worth it? What brand/size would you recommend?

Vince Shriver
02-13-2009, 8:54 PM
Take a look at the Delta T-2 fence which is the same one that come with the Delta Hybrid cabinet saw.

Danny Burns
02-13-2009, 9:07 PM
I like these fences because of the "T" slots in them make them easy to attach devices. The fence has no deflection either which is another nice feature of a solidly built fence.

They are called Red-Line.

http://store.thesawshop.com/catalogue/default.php

The customer service is second to none. I had a rail that a workman damaged during a home repair, and Dave Wooland replaced it free. He also mailed to me without my asking, new improved bearings. The only other people to ever do that was Lee Valley Tools.

Pat Germain
02-13-2009, 9:21 PM
I installed a Mulecab fence on my contractor saw. It's almost a clone of the Redline fence. The Mulecab 50" is under $200 which is nice for a contractor saw.

http://www.mulecab.com/M1050Rip.html

The folks at Mulecab are also first rate. I had some trouble shortly after I installed the fence. Mulecab sent me another fence free of charge. Turned out I had an older model. The newer model had been improved to avoid the problem I was having. Nice folks, those Canucks. :)

The Mulecab fence has worked great for me. It's very stiff and accurate. And, as Danny mentioned, the T-slots are very handy.

Dale Coons
02-13-2009, 10:19 PM
I have had the Vega fence with extention tubes on my griz contractor saw for about 10 years--it's been great. easy to install, easy to remove when it's in the way.

Danny Burns
02-13-2009, 10:22 PM
The Red-line brand is an improvement over the Mulecab fence, since Dave Wooland who sold and was the front man for Mulecab left the company, and started his own, with the improved Red-line version.

Dave is also hooked-up with CNC machines now of the Gorilla brand.

Pat Germain
02-13-2009, 10:30 PM
^^ I wasn't aware of this, Danny. Thanks for the info.

Robert Todd
02-13-2009, 10:59 PM
I installed a Vega fence on my old Craftsman 113.298 after fighting with the original fence for more than 25 years ( I didn't know any better until I started reading Sawmill Creek. Thanks Guys.) It turned a truly dreadful saw into a decent machine. It was very easy to install, is easy to keep aligned and locks up tight every time. I especially appreciate how light it is which makes it a breeze to remove. I also like how smoothly it glides. About a year ago I got a biesemyer for $80 at a Lowes closeout, but I decided I liked the Vega so much that the biesemyer is still sitting in the box.

Bill Huber
02-13-2009, 11:16 PM
I did not like the fence on the Jet so I installed the Mule. I had a Mule on my old Sears and loved it so I saw no reason to change.

Looking at the Red-Line I just don't see that much difference in them for the difference in price.

Here is the Mule on the Jet.

110008 110009

Clint Schlosser
02-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the pictures and great discussion about the after market fence choices. Does anyone know if the 50" model will require some legs or other support?

Bill Huber
02-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the pictures and great discussion about the after market fence choices. Does anyone know if the 50" model will require some legs or other support?

They do show legs on the 50 but I am not sure if they come with it or not.

Just send them an email and they can tell you, great people to work with.

http://www.mulecab.com/contactus.html

glenn bradley
02-14-2009, 12:12 AM
All good info here. I'll just add that a good fence will breath new life into your saw.

Thad Nickoley
02-14-2009, 10:36 PM
I know where there is a brand new shop fox for sale. Still in the box

Chris Konikowski
02-14-2009, 11:08 PM
I installed a Vega fence on my old Craftsman 113.298 after fighting with the original fence for more than 25 years ( I didn't know any better until I started reading Sawmill Creek. Thanks Guys.) It turned a truly dreadful saw into a decent machine. It was very easy to install, is easy to keep aligned and locks up tight every time. I especially appreciate how light it is which makes it a breeze to remove. I also like how smoothly it glides. About a year ago I got a biesemyer for $80 at a Lowes closeout, but I decided I liked the Vega so much that the biesemyer is still sitting in the box.

Any chance that you wanna sell me the bessey?

Robert Todd
02-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the offer Chris but I'm saving the Bessey until I find an older Uni or a PM66 to restore.

Sue Wise
02-15-2009, 8:15 AM
When I had my contractor's saw (Delta), I bought a Vega fence. I loved the micro-adjust. I sold my saw to a friend and she got a good deal with that fence and saw.

-Sue

Neal Clayton
02-15-2009, 2:38 PM
i also use a vega fence on my PM66. the original fence that i got with it was too large (9.5 feet or so) for my shop so i sold it and bought the vega with the proceeds. the only flaw (and it is a minor one) with the vega fence is the cam locks on a brass shim.

after a year or so of every day use, the shim will surely break (happened to me a couple weeks ago). vega overnighted me a replacement and a couple of spares (@ 13 bucks apiece or so) so it wasn't that big a deal, but be aware that it will eventually happen ;). if you only use the saw a few times a week, the saw might not see the end of the brass shim.

the upside of this is i find the vega locking mechanism easier to operate and due to the round pipe instead of a square one, easier to move with some degree of accuracy, so i think it's a worthwhile trade.