PDA

View Full Version : Having Trouble Getting the New Epilog Driver

Dee Gallo
02-13-2009, 7:05 PM
Hi all,

This is going to sound really stupid, but I finally decided to try the new driver for my Mini and when I downloaded it, the version unzipped said "802". When I clicked on that to install it, the only thing available on the list was "Epilog Engraver Win32". Of course, this is the same one I already had. I installed it anyway, just in case, but I changed the name from what I had before so I could tell if it went through. Even after rebooting, there was no change in the control panel's looks nor in the way it worked.

What am I doing wrong? HELP!

Luckily, the driver works, so even if I don't get the new driver, I'm still in business....

I'm afraid to update the firmware, because then they won't match. Or do I update that first?

thanks for any insight, dee

Margaret Turco
02-13-2009, 7:12 PM
Do you want me to email it to you? pm me because I can't figure out how to attach files when emailing from here.

Doug Griffith
02-13-2009, 7:14 PM
Hi Dee,
You need to update the firmware. The old driver should still work fine with it.

Cheers,
Doug

Dee Gallo
02-13-2009, 7:44 PM
Thanks Doug, I'll do that.

Thank Margaret, I hope I don't have to bother you with a PM!

cheers, dee

Margaret Turco
02-13-2009, 7:58 PM
I already downloaded and can send it with no problem if I have your email address.

Dee Gallo
02-13-2009, 8:02 PM
Well, I now have both the firmware and the driver updates on my desktop, but can't get them to load.

When I'm in the "print" page, and click on the update firmware button, I can select the firmware name but then nothing happens.

I must be extra dumb today.... dumb dee dumb dumb

Margaret Turco
02-13-2009, 8:09 PM
It's unzipped isn't it?

John Noell
02-13-2009, 9:39 PM
I just did it and it worked okay for me. Seems a clunky way to do it but... it worked. When you click "Update Firmware", find the hex file, and then click "Load", that's it until you get back to the Corel print button as if you are going to print your Corel file. It is when you say "Print" that the firmware actually gets sent to the laser. And when it goes, there is precious little to see and long periods of no activity. However, you should see a message like "Processing Data" on the laser LCD panel and eventually it will say it is finished. IF you have any custom settings file you need to use the (even clunkier) config merge program. (I am an ex-software developer and if my coders ever designed an interface like this I would have fired them.)

Rudy Ress
02-13-2009, 10:12 PM
John did you loose your configuration files after upgrading the firmware? For some reason it no longer finds the files in the folders, even though they are there? Just checking. Will have to call Tech support on Monday.

Tim Bateson
02-13-2009, 10:44 PM
The configuration files have changed with the last driver. I believe there is a downloadable tool to convert your old configuration files.

John Noell
02-14-2009, 3:39 AM
Yes, you need to use the "configmerge" program to convert your settings files. It's the new driver that requires this. Download it from from Epilog, run it, navigate to your old settings, and one-by-one say "Get File", then click Finish and it will merge them with the new settings files. It ads "802" to the end of each setting file.

Rudy Ress
02-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks Tim and John. Though I only need to run the configmerg program if the DRIVER was updated which I did when I updated the driver previously. Did not think I needed it for updating the FIRMWARE. Will try it. Thanks again.

Peck Sidara
02-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Hello Dee,

Tech support can confirm below notes and can also help walk you thru the process.

*Here's a nice tutorial on updating the firmware http://www.epiloglaser.com/tl_upgrade_firmware.htm
Make sure you're loading the .hex file and not the zipped file.

*Once the latest print driver is downloaded, it will also have to be unzipped. The latest version is 8.02 and does have a basic name of Epilog Engraver Win32.

I suggest deleting your old driver first by right mouse clicking the Epilog printer icon and deleting. This is from your printer/faxes folder in control panel.

To complete delete the driver, click on file/server properties in the same control panel. Once opened, click on the drivers tab and select any file that says "Epilog", click on delete.

Reboot your PC and install the new driver. The above note is likely why it reverted back to your old driver.

Depending on the driver you were using, you may have to update your data files to be compatible w/ the new driver. The configmerge utility can be downloaded at the same location as driver/firmware here: http://www.epiloglaser.com/downloads_minihelix.htm

We offer a flash tutorial for upgrading your firmware, instructions on loading the driver and converting data files references the owners manual.

Seems like a lot of steps needed to take advantage of the latest and greatest Epilog offerings but it's not as bad as it sounds.

Tech supports open now so if you have about 30-60 minutes of uninterrupted time, they can walk you thru it over the phone.

HTH,

Dee Gallo
02-16-2009, 1:19 PM
Hi Peck,

I was out this morning and when I got home there was a message on my machine from Dan at Tech Support offering help based on my post here at SMC. (Now I know it was you who instigated it :) thanks)

I called back and was walked SLOWLY through setting up both the firmware and driver for both of my minis and voila! They both work now perfectly. THANK YOU!

I must have missed one of the written instructions when I did it on my own, because everything went smooth as silk with HELP. As usual, the tech was patient and answered every question I had.

Once again, I'm so glad I chose Epilog, you guys are really the best!

cheers, dee

Peck Sidara
02-16-2009, 1:28 PM
Hi Dee,

I missed your posting earlier this morning during my Monday morning coffee read of the various forums. It was actually one of our distributors who informed us of your posting (giving credit where credit is due. Thanks Jeanette/Engraving Concepts).

I'm glad our tech team was able to help out.

thanks for the update.

Dee Gallo
02-16-2009, 1:38 PM
Okay, then, thanks a million to Jeanette of Engraving Concepts! I don't even know her - This is another example of the Creek's great community - people here are just so helpful and nice to each other.

thank you, dee

Jeanette Brewer
02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Dee,

Hello! Nice to meet you! Glad we could help...