PDA

View Full Version : The Gorge, Washington. Anyone been there?

Brent Leonard
02-13-2009, 5:48 PM
I'm thinking of taking the wife to a concert at the Gorge in Washington state, outside Seattle. I've never been there and it looks incredible. An outdoor ampitheatre like back home at RedRocks in Colorado.

Just wondering if there is reasonable lodging out there or is it all camping? If there is lodging, is there enough? Or is it booked up all summer? Is the lodging reasonably priced (<$150/night)?

Any tips or "local" knowledge out there? I figure on flying to Seattle, renting a car and driving from there.

thanks in advance!

Joe Pelonio
02-13-2009, 5:57 PM
I have been by it a few times, my oldest daughter has been for several concerts. They always camped, check below for lodging and book early, they do fill up. The nearest are 14 miles away in Ephrata, and the next cities are Moses Lake, Wenatchee, and Ellensburg, all about 45-60 minute drive. Some of the concerts there have had a bit of rowdiness, depends on the performance and the crowd it attracts (camping + drinking). Motels probably run $60-$125 out there in the boonies.

http://hotel-guides.us/washington/gorge-amphitheatre-wa-hotels.html

John Sanford
02-13-2009, 9:00 PM
There's a lot of lodging throughout the area. However, Hood River, OR, smack dab in the center of the Gorge, is also THE Windsurfing Destination in the Continental United States. Check into when the big events take place, 'cause lodging will be hard to come by...

It is one of the most beautiful areas of the country!

James Jaragosky
02-13-2009, 11:52 PM
There's a lot of lodging throughout the area. However, Hood River, OR, smack dab in the center of the Gorge, is also THE Windsurfing Destination in the Continental United States. Check into when the big events take place, 'cause lodging will be hard to come by...

I go to soap lake all the time. Nice area.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-14-2009, 7:11 AM

Uh.....John.....Hood River is quite a distance away from George, WA....probably 3-4 hours drive....

My wife and a couple of my kids have been to concerts there. They typically drive home after the concert.

Craig D Peltier
02-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Although not having been to the gorge. Camping is done by parking your car in a grass lot and sleeping behind it surrounded by other cars. It can be very very dusty and very very hot. Plus dont leave valuables in your car or camping gear left out.
I hear its very beautiful as far as the venue goes. I think id rather stay in a hotel though.