PDA

View Full Version : Laserable Supplies in the UK

Bev Wales
02-13-2009, 3:45 PM
Good evening everyone.

I am new here.

I have been browsing this forum for a few days and would like to say that you seem a great bunch of helpful people and I am in awe of some of your work.

I would like to ask if anyone has any ideas where I can buy laserable wood blanks - boxes, albums, keyrings etc. in the UK. I have seen your links to some USA and Canadiam suppliers but it would probably cost a fortune to hae them shipped so I'm looking abit closer to home.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Bev

Margaret Turco
02-13-2009, 4:34 PM
Welcome Bev!

I'm sorry I can't help you with your question right now. I did a brief search but was not very successful. I have gotten small boxes at local craft stores like Hobby Lobby, thin plywood at hobby stores, and mirrors and picture frames at stores probably like your 99p store, granite tiles at Home Depot. I don't know if you have them or what your equivalent would be. There are a couple of other members in the UK so I hope they will chime in with some suggestions for you. I'm sure you could get these items online, but as you said, the shipping might be expensive. Good luck!

Bev Wales
02-13-2009, 4:43 PM
Hi Margaret,

Thank you for taking the time to search.

I have picked up most of my supplies so far from the kinds of places you suggest, but seem to have trouble finding thin woods and wooden blanks. I will keep up the search and hope that maybe another member from the UK will be able to help at some time.

Thanks again

Bev

Frank Corker
02-13-2009, 5:54 PM
Hi Bev, I have to be honest and tell you that I found pickings very thin! Most are extremely expensive. http://www.identify.co.uk/ do have them but again it's expensive.

There have been a couple of gentlemen from here have helped me and sent me thins. I am forever in their debt for it.

Margaret Turco
02-13-2009, 6:38 PM
If it would be less expensive for you guys I would be happy to ship from here. I live an hour away from Colorado Heirloom which carries most of these items. On their website, go to the About Us page and click on the "f" in general information for the 2008 price list. Also that 1.5" lense Frank, since Epilog is here....

Frank Corker
02-13-2009, 6:48 PM
If it would be less expensive for you guys I would be happy to ship from here. I live an hour away from Colorado Heirloom which carries most of these items. On their website, go to the About Us page and click on the "f" in general information for the 2008 price list. Also that 1.5" lense Frank, since Epilog is here....

...and how much are they charging for that do you know Magaret?

Margaret Turco
02-13-2009, 7:06 PM
Frank, I do not know what they would charge, but I can inquire on Monday and let you know.

Frank Corker
02-13-2009, 7:25 PM
Thanks for you trouble. I would be interested to know. Don't worry if there is a delay in finding out, there is no desperate need for it. As far as I am aware the only benefit is that I would be able to do finer smaller detail, in fact my rep here said I wouldn't need it at all, so it might just be a toy.... or white elephant.

Bev Wales
02-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Thank you Frank - I will keep looking around, and thank you Margaret for your kind offer of shipping some items. I will certainly keep that in mind should i fail to find anything here.

Bev

Dave Johnson29
02-14-2009, 10:43 AM
but seem to have trouble finding thin woods and wooden blanks.

Depending on what you mean by thin woods, Aircraft Spruce have a good supply of plywood etc and I believe they ship Internationally.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/

Also you can try local hobby shops for thin ply that is used for engine mounts and high stress parts etc. For example...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/

Search for...

plywood

UK local hobby stores should also have it.

Michael Hunter
02-14-2009, 11:05 AM
For wood blanks and planks in the UK, try http://www.moranswoodcomponents.co.uk 01942 716690.

Not cheap, but very good quality.
Friendly people to deal with and fast delivery.

The "wooden slats" (in various nice woods) are about 5mm thick and pre-finished with some sort of laquer. Engrave/cut and then just clean with Mr Sheen or Sparkle polish and job's done.