PDA

View Full Version : New Guy needs Learning Material

Josh Reid
02-13-2009, 2:26 PM
Hi All.

Been lurking around here for a little while and have gotten the ideas a churning in my head from here and the wife about projects that I need to get started. I have a little bit of remodeling work to finish up on my house before I can start any major projects but that should be no more than a week or two away.

To give a little background. My Dad and Grandfather built homes when I was younger. Dad always loved finish work and that is what I have the done the most of personally but I would really like to build some furniture pieces for myself, family and friends. I have done some small projects like bookcases, picture frames, and a small jewlery box for the wife but nothing major.

I am a very thorough person when it comes to anything I do and want to try and learn as much as I can about the many different aspects of woodworking.My question is what are some good books or reading material that give ideas and teach things like design, history of the different styles, the way wood moves/works and how to properly anticipate for that in the design and building of the project. I know that is a lot of stuff to throw out there and that I will need multiple books to learn all of that but I am prepared.

Sorry for the really long first post. I know that there are probably threads out there with this information but for the sake of spending a few days searching I figured I might throw this out to the more experienced/experts on here.

Thanks ahead of time for all the help and ideas I have to this point and hopefully in a short while I will be posting some projects for everyone to see.

Josh

Nate Folco
02-13-2009, 2:46 PM
I have a couple of the Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide series. They have a lot of pictures and cover a wide range of topics. There's nothing in these books that you couldn't find somewhere online, but it's nice to have it all in one place.

http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore/catalog/Complete-Illustrated-Guide-Series

(You can find them cheaper elsewhere like Amazon.com)

Jose Kilpatrick
02-13-2009, 2:54 PM
When learning, nothing can substitute or is more fun than experience.

Simply building by plans will teach you a lot. I would reccomend starting off with a couple of small projects that offer a rewarding finish in order to keep your motivation up. Also, take into account the tools you have that will accomodate the type of work required. Making some jewelry boxes or humidors will demand precise angles, cutting and joinery, and the end result will be stunning without breaking the bank if you are methodical.

When I first got into this hobby, I read as much as I could get my hands on and started to become disapointed because I didn't have some of the high dollar tools.

Some of my early work is laughable, but some of my latest projects have gained some renown.

I started off with no. 2 pine, self tapping screws, and plans out of my head. Many of those early projects were unscrewed, recut and assembled into shop shelves, jigs, and firewood as time passed.

I'm no pro, nor have I learned by much other than by practice, experience, watching norm on Sundays and reading the forums.

If I could give you any advice from my experiences (even now as I'm still a beginner even after 10 years of experience) I'd reccomend finding plans for a project that you can complete with a basic array of tools and minimal investment in stock. Practice is important. Accuratley measuring and accuratley cutting take practice. There's more than one way to skin a cat, even though requirements of a build will always warrant the purchase of one more tool.

Just start making sawdust and the end result will be a creation you are proud of.

Prashun Patel
02-13-2009, 3:16 PM
IMHO, the best way to start is to jump in.

I'd get a subscription to Wood Magazine. It's got projects for all levels. Peck around the issues or even the website until you find something that you think you'd like to - or could make.

Then try to make it.

The Family Handyman is also a great mag. Most issues have some pretty major project which is built surprisingly sturdy with surprisingly few tools. It'll probably also appeal to you given yr background.

I got an online subscrip to Finewoodworking which I love bkz you can search archives for videos and pdfs that go further into specific aspects like finishing or jigs.

Jim Kountz
02-13-2009, 3:18 PM
Welcome to the Creek!! You've already been given some good advice, if I were to add anything it would be to keep reaching a little higher with each project you do. Theres a fine line between exceeding your abilities and expanding them. Trying to take on a Queen Anne highboy right out of the gate is going to more than likely leave you disgruntled and put off with woodworking. However if with each new project you learn a new skill or try a different method you will eventually build your arsenal to the point where you can feel comfortable taking on nearly anything you want. Most important thing is HAVE FUN WITH IT!!

Dustin Powers
02-13-2009, 3:40 PM
I'm also new to woodworking...I've played with it my whole life just never really got into it. Now I think I should have the time and ability to buy some decent tools and my wife says I have to find a hobby!
So does anyone have some good beginner projects they recommend. Preferably these would be plans that could be purchased somewhere. I've bought some plans from wood.net for some shop projects and I have a New Yankee dvd and plans for the adirondack trio. However these projects look a little complicated and I'll need some better tools before I tackle them. Any good source for some real beginner stuff?

Mike Gager
02-13-2009, 4:06 PM
go to your library and see what they have for woodworking books. my library has hundreds of books about everything yould ever want to know

Jose Kilpatrick
02-13-2009, 4:08 PM
However these projects look a little complicated and I'll need some better tools before I tackle them. Any good source for some real beginner stuff?

I have built a few projects from plansnow.com. You may be able to find something there that intrigues you.

Brad Wood
02-13-2009, 4:21 PM
As a n00b to woodworking myself (see my signature), I've been doing things like boxes and clocks. None of them are as nice as I would like, but they are small, don't require a whole lot of tools, and use very little wood (so, even buying pre milled wood doesn't take a huge financial investment).
I've been practicing things like glue up, box joints, dovetails, rabbits, dados, measuring twice cutting once, finish, etc.

I think these little and inexpensive projects provide a lot of good experience because there are a lot of techniques used. One observation I have made so far is that woodworking is like anything else we start anew... it takes practice, knowing when something is "too big" to take on, muscle memory. When you put something together, and apply critical analysis to the end product, you will identify things that you need to improve, things that you will do differently next time, etc.

I also find keeping things small provides a quicker reward. Starting something and finishing something in a tight turnaround allows for a quicker opportunity to learn and get something tangible at the same time

All just words from someone that hasn't done it long, but they are true for me.

John Sanford
02-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Find, acquire, and read this book. Common sense and imagination are the most valuable things you can bring into the workshop. Your workbench is the most useful thing inthe shop. Its more important than your tablesaw (although for some folks, the tablesaw doubles as the bench), more important than a planer or jointer, more useful even than a blockplane or cordless drill, even more important than a pencil and tapemeasure.

Workbenches: From Design & Theory to Construction & Use (http://www.lostartpress.com/product/3513e08a-2f07-4616-8f2f-74017f296377.aspx)

Pat Germain
02-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Welcome aboard, Josh. I'm no master woodworker, but I've sure learned a lot from the fine folks here on SMC. When I grow up, I want to be just like Jim Becker. :D

One of my first "real" woodworking projects was an under the window bookcase. It was challenging enough to learn, simple enough to complete in a reasonable time and satisfying to boot. It's no cherry highboy, but you gotta start somewhere.

I second the recommendation for the Chris Schwarz book. I learned a lot reading that thing cover to cover.

I also learned a lot from the TV show Wood Works. Tragically, it's no longer airing. I managed to snag a few episodes on my DVR before an evil conspiracy at DIY network cancelled it. :mad: I can watch those shows again and again and I learn something new every time. I had the great priviledge of taking a class taught by David Marks. It was a life changing experiencing. Check out his web site. He answers many questions and dispenses somoe invaluable advice there. Looking at his projects, you'll think he's from one of Saturn's moons. But a beginner can still learn much from David Marks. He has a new DVD out about scrapers.

You can also see David Marks on the DIY web site. Check that out before DIY realizes they have this valuable information available for all and quickly pulls it.

Of course, I've also learned a lot from watching Norm over the past twenty years. For almost all those twenty years, I was mostly a passive observer. Over the past couple of years, I have actually applied those skills.

Another great online source is The Wood Whisperer. He has posted many videos from basic stuff to very advanced. There's a lot of videos and a lot of information there all for free.