PDA

View Full Version : Epilog rotorary attachment FW upgrade

Gregg Vaughn
02-13-2009, 10:49 AM
For anyone who hasn't seen it, there is a new firmware upgade for Epilog rotorary attachments. The upgrade is to reduce slippage.

http://epiloglaser.com/downloads_minihelix.htm

Stephen Beckham
02-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Gregg,

Tried it and on my Mini 24, I didn't notice the difference - it still jumps the blank spaces pretty fast. I see the firmware number correctly and so I know it's in there, but it's not that big of a deal for the small stuff I do. I'll definately know the next time I do a heavy beer mug when the handle is heavy enough to cause slippage on the jump...

I'd love to hear from anyone else if it changed theirs or not. It seemed the bulk of the upgrade were for the other machine problems and the jumping in the rotary was the only thing that affected the Mini series.

Steve

Frank Corker
02-13-2009, 12:02 PM
I did download, but I haven't put anything throught so I can't help you at present.

Pete Simmons
02-13-2009, 12:19 PM
I have not tried it yet but I have considered engraving a raster line outside of your glass area to keep it from jumping. I have not thought this thru so there may be some problems. Any thoughts?

Dave Johnson29
02-13-2009, 7:52 PM
I have studied pictures of the Epilog rotary and I believe I have an idea for resolving this issue. I may need it for a few weeks as it has been so cold lately that the coolant freezes on my milling machines and I can't work with them. Pic shows the holding vice and sheet ice coolant. :):) Bbbrrrrrr.

If someone would like to ship me their rotary I will make some prototypes for testing and when finalized will give them the adapter free.

Best idea is to contact me via email.

Dan Hintz
02-13-2009, 9:09 PM
I'd be up for it if I had an Epilog...

Dave, have you considered putting a heater in the coolant tank? I imagine even something simple like a fish tank heater might be enough if left on 24/7 to keep a high enough average temp.

Frank Corker
02-14-2009, 8:22 AM
With the rotary there is actually a little spring loaded device that clips on the side and it has a wheel on it. I have used that with no problems, but it is pretty much designed to fit inside a glass. The only issue with it is if it is put on slightly cock-eyed it causes the glass to move in a spiral up and down. However, masking tape around the top of the glass/bottle and bottom will stop most of the slippage.

Dave Johnson29
02-14-2009, 9:44 AM
have you considered putting a heater in the coolant tank?

Hi Dan,

It is not so much the coolant I do keep that warm as it is in a different part of the shop that is insulated and at 55F for my well head pumps and filters, softener etc.

The vice and all the metal on the machine is so cold it freezes the coolant and it never gets to return to the tank. Well, :) not until later in the afternoon.

Thanks for the thought though.

Glenn Fischer
02-16-2009, 5:34 AM
Concerning the clamp that comes with the rotary attachment for Epilog engravers -- We augment ours by cutting thick acrylic into small cylinders which we forge together with rubber and some tape for those stubborn cylindrical objects.

It's not exactly DaVinci, but it works!