PDA

View Full Version : self-stick grip feet, before or after finish?

Ken Platt
02-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Folks -

I was going to use some of those self-stick grippy feet for a little desk-top hold-yer-stuff doohickey I'm completing. It has a little drawer, but despite my efforts to make it slide very smoothly, it still tends to pull the whole gizmo a bit. So, I thought I'd try to use some of those soft clear grip feet so the thing doesn't slide around on the desk.

Anyhow, I've not used these before. For those who have, did you attach them after or before finish? I'm wondering which surface will they adhere to better/longer. As a practical matter, if I am going to use them "before" finish, I'd probably apply the finish and then sand or scrape the spot where the grip-foot will go.

Oh, and does anyone know if it makes a difference if you cut them a bit to have a lower profile? There only seemed to be hemispherical ones, nothing like a flat strip. These raise the gizmo up more than I like, so I was going to cut off the tip to make them thinner. I'm assuming they are the same grippy stuff throughout, not just on the surface.

Thanks - one of these (I made two) is going to be a gift, so I'm more anxious about longevity and function than when I make something for my use here at home.

Ken

Jamie Buxton
02-13-2009, 11:01 AM
In my experienc, the adhesive on those things eventually fails. I used to use them on cabinet doors, and they'd fall off after a couple of years. I now use stem bumpers. The stem goes into a drilled hole, and it holds by friction. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5822&filter=stem%20bumpers

Chip Lindley
02-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Definately AFTER!

Chris Padilla
02-13-2009, 11:45 AM
I'd put them on DURING.... :p

Lee Schierer
02-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Many of the adhesives on the bumper feet won't stick to certain finishes and the material of the bumper is affected by the finish, so I would recommend putting adhesive type bumpers or feet on after the finishing; however, I would cover the area where they are to be applied with painters tape during the finishing to keep bare wood exposed. Once the finish is dry peel off the tape and stick the sticky feet in the bare spots.