PDA

View Full Version : First load of wood from timber harvest

Jeff Nicol
02-13-2009, 7:28 AM
Not a gloat because I am spoiled, so if I can help anyone out with some wood let me know. This load is mostly maple and oak with a couple big ash crotches! I will be getting more soon. I will be taking a lot of the bigger stuff out to my sawmill and making some big planks and block so I can resaw them and use them. I could not wait so I turned a set of bowls from a big hard maple chunk. I cored a couple out of it and will have to practice some more with my Mcnaughton system to get more efficient with it.

Thanks and have a great day!

Jeff

Joe Meirhaeghe
02-13-2009, 8:08 AM
Nice haul ;). Feels good dosen't it :D

Allen Schmid
02-13-2009, 8:20 AM
Jeff,
Looks good man! Nice haul and nice job on the maple bowls. Of interest to me is how you like the McNaughton coring system. I am starting to ponder the idea of making a purchase for a coring system and would appreciate your take on the system.
Good work,
Allen

Steve Campbell
02-13-2009, 8:27 AM
Great haul there Jeff. That should keep you busy for a while. I do love turning Hard Maple.

Steve

Jim Kountz
02-13-2009, 9:28 AM
Jeff, whats all that white stuff on the logs, surely that isnt snow??!!
Looks like a good haul and something to keep you busy for a while!!

Steve Schlumpf
02-13-2009, 9:31 AM
Congrats on all the wood Jeff! Hope you managed to get it cut while the weather was still nice! Good looking bowls! Looking forward to seeing them finished!

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Congrats Jeff. Looks like a nice haul of wood. Bowls look great.

Bill O'Conner
02-13-2009, 1:02 PM
Yup that's snow, he's still up north enough to still have some of the wonderful stuff. Glad it warmed up enough down here to melt it all

Bill

Wyatt Holm
02-13-2009, 2:07 PM
Well we got snow here again. You asked about the McNaughton set; I use one and I really like it. I don't think the learning curve is as steep as most people do. One thing you need is to make sure your lathe is tough enough. I hp minimum. I didn't think that it mattered much so I tried it on my old lathe with 3/4 hp. It was frustrating because the tool would lug the lathe out as soon as it touched the bowl. Now my new Vicmarc with 3hp makes it quite easy to do. Hope that helps.

Rich Souchek
02-13-2009, 3:50 PM
Jeff, What saw and bar lenght you using?

Jeff Nicol
02-13-2009, 5:12 PM
Jeff,
Looks good man! Nice haul and nice job on the maple bowls. Of interest to me is how you like the McNaughton coring system. I am starting to ponder the idea of making a purchase for a coring system and would appreciate your take on the system.
Good work,
Allen
Allen, I love the Mcnaughton system, it is very easy to get set up and does a fine job. I found out the speed needs to be a little faster than I thought at first. Robo Hippy recomends it his video 600-800 and I think that is about right. But the wood and size of bowl may have something to do with where that ends up. I did regrind the spearpoint a little different on one of the cutters just to see if it works better. SO far so good. Since those were the 2nd and 3rd bowls I cored not much experience yet, but no problems so far. But wet wood if lots of fun to turn!!

Jeff Nicol
02-13-2009, 5:16 PM
Jeff, What saw and bar lenght you using?
Rich, I have 2 Stihl saws, a 17 year old .025 and a 3 yr old MS290 (farm boss). The smaller saw has a 16" bar and the bigger one has an 18" bar. I also have a 14" 3.5hp electric saw I use in the garage in the winter when it is to early in the morning to cut outside with the gas saws. The Stihl saws are tough and keep coming back for more, my Dad has one that is 28yrs old and he has never had a lick of trouble with it.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
02-13-2009, 5:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I roughed out a 20" tall vase today, so now I need to build the big steady for the 3520B! Figured I needed more to do!

That white stuff is mostly icy snow, but I hope it goes soon, but on the other hand the late season ice fishing is going to get real good here in a few weeks!

More wood to come!!! Need to clone myself about 3 times!!

Jeff

alex carey
02-13-2009, 5:35 PM
How do you load those pieces in your truck. Am I miss representing the size because they some of them look like they weigh over 400 pounds. I have done this in my volvo station wagon but I usually need another person or two. You have an easier way?

Alex

Jeff Nicol
02-13-2009, 10:55 PM
How do you load those pieces in your truck. Am I miss representing the size because they some of them look like they weigh over 400 pounds. I have done this in my volvo station wagon but I usually need another person or two. You have an easier way?

Alex
The big one in the back took 3 of us to lift in the truck. I have a trailer with a winch and a chainhoist on an I-beam that I can lift 1500lb logs on by myself, but I was only planning on taking some small stuff that day but the big ash crotch caught my eye! I will be sawing it up tomorrow morning on my woodmizer sawmill, will post some pics of the outcome.

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
02-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Here are some of the pieces from the 2 bigger Green ash crotches, hard to see all the grain but has some nice figure and feather in it. I am going to cut them into bowl blankd today and anchorseal them.

Jeff