PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Tool Rests

alex carey
02-13-2009, 3:47 AM
does anyone have any idea on how to make 1" post tool rests without doing any welding.

I had some ideas about perhaps using pipe with a T fitting but I don't know if they make the right size and I have no idea if it will even be stable. Plus it wouldn't even be flat the entire way. I don't need a big tool rests. The biggest I want would probably be like 8" since I already have the one that comes with the 3520.

I don't have any tapping tools either.

Any ideas or do I need to pickup a new skill soon?

Alex

Jeff Nicol
02-13-2009, 5:48 AM
does anyone have any idea on how to make 1" post tool rests without doing any welding.

I had some ideas about perhaps using pipe with a T fitting but I don't know if they make the right size and I have no idea if it will even be stable. Plus it wouldn't even be flat the entire way. I don't need a big tool rests. The biggest I want would probably be like 8" since I already have the one that comes with the 3520.

I don't have any tapping tools either.

Any ideas or do I need to pickup a new skill soon?

Alex
Alex, Without any way to attach metal to metal it becomes difficult to come up with a plan for some home made rests. I have seen them made from pipe like you said but they are pretty primitive and not flat where the fitting is. For a few dollars you can get a tap of the size you would need to bolt a piece of angle iron to a 1" post. Most borgs carry mild steel rod and the iron and the taps. I would cut or grind the post at an angle that suits you so when the angle is bolted on it tips towards the the wood or away from you. This give clearance and makes it easy on the hands. You could find a welding shop and have them weld one up, or after you come up with your design and have all the pieces cut have then put it together.

I have all the stuff here to make one of any size you may need, but we live far apart. If that is an option PM me.

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Alex have you checked with a local welding shop to see what they could do for you? I had 4 rests made. I had a 4", a offset 3" by 6", and 2 curved bowl rest like the oneway's. One for inside the bowl and one for the outside of the bowl for $45 total. These were made with 1" posts and 3/4" for the part that the tool slides on.

Rusty Smith
02-13-2009, 12:06 PM
A very simple method I saw at the Kansas City Woodturners Club was a 1" round stock taped with a fairly thick walled angle iron bolted to the top. I turned 8 or so pens using that tool rest a couple weeks ago. Not the "purdest thang" but it worked.

Don Carter
02-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Alex:
I made a tool rest from some angle iron and 1" cold rolled stock. I also epoxied a 1/4" rod on top. You can see a picture of it in the linked thread, last post with pictures. I had mine welded but I guess you could have the two main pieces bolted together. I am not sure how sturdy that would be.
All the best.

Don

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=96524

curtis rosche
02-13-2009, 7:24 PM
get a peice of angle iron and a peice of bar stock. then go to your local rent-a-tool place/hardware store or where ever you can rent tools. ask if they have a mig welder, then show them what you want to do they will proabably know the machine somewhat and be able to guide you to weld it. mig welding is very easy and you get deep penetration. it is very hard to screw up, just turn everything on point and pull the trigger