PDA

View Full Version : unknown acrylic found out

paul wiser
02-12-2009, 10:59 PM
thanks to all who replied to my post about an acrylic blank i couldn't identify. turn out it is a polyester resin. someone had suggested checking arizona silhouette site. sure enough there it was. he calls it epr (ed"s poly resin) it is made by ed davidson (yoyospin). i watched the video on turning it and it was the thing i was looking for. THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Paul,

I turned a number of poly-resin bottlestoppers for Christmas presents last fall. Great fun stuff to turn! They look great when you are finished.

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Yep Ken and if you do them with a skew only they are pretty easy turning.

paul wiser
02-14-2009, 11:49 PM
thanks for the replies guys. i want to know what you turned the bottle stoppers with ken. i read in craft supplies catalog about grinding a 10 to 15 degree reverse bevel on a square scraper. any input on that. thanks

Ken Fitzgerald
02-15-2009, 12:00 AM
Paul....You can turn them with a spindle gouge. Primarily I use a skew as Bernie implied. Bernie and I are in that 5% of turners who have worked enough with a skew that it has become one of, if not, our favorite tool. But I have turned the acrylic b/s stoppers and wood stoppers with using a spindle gouge. I tend to have my spindle gouge ground to a "detail gouge" form so I can get into tight corners with the tip.

And yes...you can use a scraper!