PDA

View Full Version : Is this jointer a good deal?

Darius Ferlas
02-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Not enough space for an 8" jointer in my one car garage so I am looking at an opportunity to buy a used 6" Ridgid, Model JP06101. The machine is 2 years old, advertised as "hardly used" and the price is $350 CDN (approx. $290 US). Would I be getting a decent deal?

Thank you.

Kevin Stobb
02-13-2009, 8:14 AM
I have that jointer, it will be a year old in May. I paid $359 after 10% off. I love it, cuts great, very quiet, easy to adjust. I am not sure about that price, maybe you can get him to move a little bit, but all in all I don't think you would be upset.

Howard Miller
02-13-2009, 8:15 AM
I have this jointer and like it alot. I bought mine new at HD for ~429.00. If it is in great condition, might be a good deal when you factor in depreciation.

Did the owner register the jointer with Ridgid for the lifetime service agreement??

Tom Adger
02-13-2009, 9:26 AM
I bought the same model jointer off Ebay about 4 months ago. My winning bid was $215. It too was slightly used, but in great shape. I like it a lot. I had to drive across the state(FL) to get it with my trailer, but it was worth it. I realize this was a great deal, and would be hard to find again. I think anything under $300 should be considered, as long as it is in very good condition.

Darius Ferlas
02-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Did the owner register the jointer with Ridgid for the lifetime service agreement??

Yes, that's what he says in the ad. I don't think it matters though since the Lifetime Service Agreement doesn't appear to be transferable.

Pricewise, the numbers might seem a little skewed to American members of the forum - the same tools are more usually expensive in Canada, even in US currency.

Thank you all for your responses. I'll be getting the jointer, especially because my feeble attempts at flattening with a planer+sled went only almost well.

Jason Whitaker
02-13-2009, 10:17 AM
I know the Cdn $$ is different, but my 2 local HD's had that jointer on sale for $299.00 brand new this past week! so if you can take a trip below the border, you can get a brand new one instead of used... FWIW

Darius Ferlas
02-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Jason,

$299 US would be great but I called a few Buffalo, NY area stores and the machine is gone. It has the "exit" status, as they told me, i.e. gone, unavailable, finito, end of line.

Other offers I saw for the same class jointer, but older machines were a 6" Jet for $400 and an 8" Craftex for $575. I'd love the 8" but I don;t have enough space for it, nor the 220 wiring.

Thanks again for all replies.