PDA

View Full Version : Need help with old unisaw

Kevin Green
02-12-2009, 9:23 PM
I have a very old Delta 10" unisaw. A Great machine that I use every day. Yesterday for the first time the blade height began to lose depth while running my dado. I use the dado set allot and have never had this problem. There must be a tension adjustment but I have been unable to find it. I've had to resort to using a c-clamp to lock the adjustment wheel in place. This works but is not much fun. Anybody out there have any ideas?
Kevin

Leo Graywacz
02-12-2009, 9:30 PM
Isn't there a locking screw in the middle of the height adjustment wheel? Unscrew it an pull it out. Make sure it is clean. Look in the hole and make sure it isn't packed full of dust.

hank dekeyser
02-12-2009, 10:52 PM
I've got an old Uni-Saw also (not bullet motor) they're all pretty similar in design. Like Leo said, check the locking mechanism - OK "tightening" mechanism - I know on my old dog the centers for the angle and depth like to "rattle" themselves loose, sometimes even all the way out. Good luck

Kevin Green
02-14-2009, 9:26 AM
Thanks for the response. Is it possible that there is no tightener on the handle? I put a pipe wrench on the knob and it still won't budge. Seems odd but it appears to be just pressed on. I'm guessing that this saw was built in the 50s.
Kevin

Chip Lindley
02-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi Kevin! *IF* the locking knob IS indeed in the center of the height adjustment wheel, the shaft inside may be rusted tight or damaged! (the lock knob should unscrew counter-clockwise easily) The lock knobs for raise/tilt wheels are identical. If you have NO center lock knob, you have just been lucky for alotta years!

Included (kinda fuzzy) is a blow-up of Delta parts manual showing how the raise lock parts go together. You can get the complete parts diagram at OWWM.com. Find Delta Mfg. Co. and publication 538 for tablesaw. Not sure its cosher to give the link in this forum.

If you find you need parts to complete your old Unisaw, many are available on eBay. Good Luck!

Bill Houghton
02-14-2009, 12:12 PM
based on experience with the Delta 9" contractor's saw, which used the same locking method, that the many little washers in the mix all seem important to the final result. Once you get it loose, you may find that one or more of the washers is broken or has gone south. Your local hardware store MAY have suitable replacements; otherwise, check with a local Delta-authorized repair shop.

Pete Bradley
02-14-2009, 12:50 PM
The locking mechanism is it. The washers don't matter. On early Unis, the lock knob pushes a pin with two tapered slots that drive flat keys outward against the bore. Newer ones use two brass pins driven directly by the pointed end of a longer lock knob shaft. If your machine is later than the 1940s you have the later style.

Since you're looking for a tension mechanism, I'm guessing you don't have a lock knob at all. The later style knob and pins are available from Delta or eBay, the earlier ones are mighty scarce.

Pete

Leo Graywacz
02-14-2009, 1:22 PM
I made one for my Jet saw. Just got a bolt long enough, put a pointy end on it and ground off the threads that weren't needed. Made a nice little griping handle for it and it worked perfect, still use it. I copied the angle lock to make the height lock, they were the same. Probably took less than half an hour.