PDA

View Full Version : Old 28" Bandsaw -- need help in deciding to buy!

Ben Davis
02-12-2009, 9:23 PM
I have a lead on an old American Sawmill Co. 28" beast of a bandsaw. It has a 3hp 3 phase motor and the current owner is asking $800.

So there is no way I can use 3-ph power in a home/garage shop, so the motor would have to be changed out. I've never purchased old machines like this before. Is this something I should even consider?

Joe Chritz
02-12-2009, 9:39 PM
Absolutely. Go with a VFD ( variable freq drive) or a static converter to change to 3 PH. You loose a little HP with a static converter (but it is already plenty powerful) and a VFD will give you blade speed adjustments.

The old beast bandsaws are very nice when set up correctly.

I am not familiar with that one but a trip to the old woodworking machines website will give lots of answers on it. There are some things to look for before buying but that price seems decent if it is in decent shape.

Joe

Dennis Ford
02-12-2009, 9:45 PM
You can run a 3 hp 3 phase motor by installing a Variable Frequency Drive or you could replace the motor. You could also use a phase converter but they usually cost about as much as a VFD.

This sounds like a good deal IF;
a: you need or want a very large band saw
b: you are willing and able to do your own tuning, maintenance, repairs etc.

Joe Meazle
02-12-2009, 9:59 PM
I use a 3Hp 3-ph powered 24" bandsaw in my home/garage shop. Not only does a VFD make This possible but it makes my BS variable speed too. One cool trick I use is is set the VFD at about 5% speed and getting the blade tracking Just right when I change blades. I had the local motor shop check out my motor so I knew it was in good running order before I bought a VFD.

BTW 3hp is is just about as big as you can get and a VFD still be cost effective (under $200).

Pete Bradley
02-12-2009, 10:50 PM
You should consider it, but condition will determine whether it's a usable machine or a pile of parts. Missing or broken wheels, table, guides, or other major parts would likely be very hard to find.

Pete

Gary Radice
02-12-2009, 11:38 PM
I love old machines but whether it is worth the price depends mostly on what it will cost you to get it into working condition. A VFD will solve the 3 phase problem less expensively than swapping out for a single phase motor, as others have said but will still cost you. If it has babbitt bearings you might need to repour them, maybe not. That isn't hard but if so, that will be another expense. Also consider how well it is setup for dust collection. Probably you will have to retrofit for that. In other words, it isn't so much the cost of the saw as much as the cost of the saw plus getting it into safe working condition that will be the deciding factor for you.

But, even with all of that....price out a new saw of similar size and heft. You still might come out WAY ahead.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-13-2009, 12:49 AM
Heck yes! At least give it a good look. I'm not familier with that brand, but I bet it's ok. As said before, check OWWM.com.

Some will remember my old Oliver, which was a project when I got it. Don't be scared of fixing these old saws up. You may not have to have factory stock to fix a saw up either. My Oliver now has part Oliver/Tannewitz guides. The bottom is all Tannewitz, the top is part Oliver, part Tannewitz. Funny thing is, the parts are completely interchangable. I have pretty decent homemade dust collection now as well.

Just got it up and running with the new guides, and tried a 3/8" blade in it for cutting some bracket feet. Absolutely fantastic preformance. Then switched to a 1" Trimaster to resaw some poplar for drawer bottoms. You seriously have to look pretty hard to see which side is bandsawn, and which is planed. Crazy good preformance.

Bottom line, these old saws are well worth the money and time, and can be just as good, or better than the top of the line new models. Plus they look really awsome:D

Post a pic if you can?

John Bailey
02-13-2009, 4:51 AM
The saw itself would be well worth it if it's in good shape. The 3 phase, in my opinion, is a plus. I recently bought an old Oliver and worried about the 3 phase. I bought a $145 2 hp VFD to run the machine. Now, not only do I not worry, I will be looking for 3 phase motors in the future. Mine runs very smooth and quiet. The variable speed also presents many advantages as was already mentioned.

Go for it if you can determine the shape it's in.

John

Jamie Buxton
02-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Just wondering... Can you get an old 28" bandsaw into your garage? They're real tall -- maybe taller than the doorway.

Ben Davis
02-13-2009, 12:01 PM
I have a lead on an old American Sawmill Co. 28" beast of a bandsaw. It has a 3hp 3 phase motor and the current owner is asking $800.

So there is no way I can use 3-ph power in a home/garage shop, so the motor would have to be changed out. I've never purchased old machines like this before. Is this something I should even consider?
Thanks everyone for the replies. I have decided to pass on the saw for a number of reasons. If anyone is interested in the saw, PM me and I will pass along the contact information of the fellow who is selling it.

I only know this guy and saw from the below listed CL ad.

http://wilmington.craigslist.org/tls/1029729495.html

Thanks again.