PDA

View Full Version : Jameison hollowing system

Dave Bureau
02-12-2009, 8:36 PM
I have heard that the jameison system works pretty well. has anyone used the laser? and if so does it work and is it worth the cost?

Keith Burns
02-12-2009, 8:56 PM
I use a Jamison clone. D-Handle home made. I use the laser from Randy Privit at Monster Tools. I use a number of different boring bars including Jordan, Don Pencil and Sorby. Also have a 1-1/8" x 22" bar I had made at a machine shop. Captive rest is also home made. I can't see myself using anything else.

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2009, 9:19 PM
I also bought the monster system from Randy Privett. His comes complete with all attachments and the laser. I use my laser all the time. Yes it is worth the money. I also have his articulating arm hollowing system. Both are well made and both come complete.

David Christopher
02-12-2009, 9:22 PM
Dave, my dad has one and he really likes it ...the laser is easy to set up and you can hollow the inside without a light and bending over trying to see inside and guessing or using callipers.. I think its worth the money

Dave Bureau
02-12-2009, 9:28 PM
the monster looks a lot more beefy than the jameison. does he stock these or are the special order. also which is better the captured style or articulating

Steve Schlumpf
02-12-2009, 9:37 PM
Dave - like Bernie, I also have both of the Monster systems and love them! As far as I know, Randy fabricates each system once they are ordered. As far as which system is better - it really depends on what it is you plan on turning. For larger HFs I would suggest the captured system - for smaller HF the articulated system is the way to go. The captured offered more support for deeper hollowing and the articulated offers a lot more 'feel' and control on the smaller size HFs.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any additional questions!

Jim Becker
02-12-2009, 9:50 PM
I use the Jamison captive system and love it. I'll admit I rarely have used the laser, however.

Steve Kubien
02-13-2009, 3:01 PM
The Jamieson laser is great and well worth the money. It stays put and is really easy to adjust. There is nothing to "beef up". The laser dot does vibrate a tad if you are hogging out material but unless you are turning to 1/16" or thinnner it just doesn't matter. If you are going that thin, shine a light inside instead.

Don't spend more than you need to.

Steve Kubien

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2009, 3:07 PM
My Jamieson works as advertised.

Chris Haas
02-13-2009, 8:39 PM
i have the monster articulated arm, it is good to about 7.5 deep i think, the laser is as good as i can imagine any laser being, i love all the cutters it came with, the most complete tool out of the box i've ever bought. and this setup is what gives the "made in america" some pride.

Dave Bureau
02-14-2009, 7:46 AM
I ordered the jameison yesterday. If it works like its suppose to I'll get the laser. ( there was no price break to get it all at the same time). I really liked the monster but didnt want to wait at least a month to get it.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-14-2009, 8:02 AM
Dave......I have the laser and really like it. It prevents this "old guy" from creating funnels. You would find Jamieson's DVD handy too!

Dave Bureau
02-14-2009, 8:22 AM
Yes Ken, I did order the video also.

Skip Evans
02-15-2009, 7:36 PM
I am new to this forum. I am considering a hollowing system. Who is Randy Privett and how do I contact him?:):):)

Dave Bureau
02-15-2009, 8:22 PM
monster-wood-tool.com