PDA

View Full Version : Small spalted maple burl bowl that almost wasn't

Gary Herrmann
02-12-2009, 8:04 PM
I had a nice little chunk of maple burl that turned out to be waaay more punky than I thought. A couple chips, but with healthy doses of ca it stayed together. I wanted to turn a foot, but that was really bad so I just turned it away and went footless.

It's about 2.25" high by 4.5" diameter. Walls are about 1/8". 5 or 6 coats of salad bowl finish, and I'm still not all that happy with it.

When my son was a toddler he had a little Tweety & Sylvester bowl he used to eat cheerios out of. My wife wanted a little snack bowl, so there you have it. Considering how much spalt it has, I'll encourage her to use it for something else. Shucks, I'll have to turn another bowl, and push off flatwork again...

And apparently, I still uck at photography.

David Christopher
02-12-2009, 8:17 PM
Gary, that is beautiful.....love the color and grain and the shape

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2009, 8:22 PM
That is a beauty and a great save. Wood looks great.

Richard Madison
02-12-2009, 8:28 PM
Pretty bowl Gary, and the lighting is not bad. Is your background blue, as it appears in the pictures?

Gary Herrmann
02-12-2009, 8:34 PM
Richard, the backdrop is gray.

curtis rosche
02-12-2009, 8:51 PM
i have a bunch of maple like this. great fun to turn, you never know when something will fly. great bowl

Keith Burns
02-12-2009, 8:58 PM
Gary, thats way to nice to use ! Great stuff !

Steve Schlumpf
02-12-2009, 9:43 PM
Beautiful wood! Glad you took the time to save it!

Richard Madison
02-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Gary,
Might try a white sheet background and see if it is white in your pictures. This will tell you if your white balance is right. I think it's pretty close as is. The first picture is a little out of focus or maybe had some camera shake. Next two pictures are sharp. Consider using a tripod if you have one. If you have photography questions (wood turning related, of course), there are others here far more qualified than I to answer them.

Jim Kountz
02-13-2009, 1:36 AM
That is some nice looking burl grain, I love the way it seems to be in motion when you look at it!! Or have I simply been up too late again!!??

alex carey
02-13-2009, 2:30 AM
Beautiful piece of wood and nice form. I think your pictures are better than you think.