PDA

View Full Version : Red oak Newels

Allan Trombley
02-12-2009, 7:38 PM
I turned some newels out of 3 1/2 inch glued up 3/4 red oak, I seem to be having a problem getting them real smooth. I have read about grain filler but have never used it. Then I read about sealer first. These will be well used at a main stairway by a lot of kids and I want them to be smooth. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Travis R. Nelson
02-13-2009, 11:11 AM
I have not ever had a need to use grain filler on any spindle work. What seems to be the trouble, is the wood chipping off at the beads? Does it just feel "fuzzy" one way after tooling and sanding? What tools are you using? Are they being presented correctly? Are the tools sharp? If you are using your tools correctly and they are sharp and you are still having some issues with "fuzz" turn the piece around between the centers so it will rotate the wood the other way. That should allow you to sand the fibers that are laying down off and get a much smoother feel. I sand most spindles I make to 320 and finish with three coats of lacquer. I wipe them down with a fine scotch brite after the first and second coat. Hope this helps. Have fun, its a hobby not a job!

Steve Clardy
02-13-2009, 2:24 PM
Red oak does chip out on turnings.
Very sharp tools, with a light touch is the key to getting red oak smooth.

Then step up your grits with the sandpaper.
I start with 80, usually ending with 150