PDA

View Full Version : round carbibe cutters/inserts

Tom Keen
02-12-2009, 6:39 PM
Is there a generic equivalent for the Hunter style carb cutters.. looking through a machinist supply catalog I have, it appears that some of the standard machine tool cutter would work. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Im trying to find some that are 3/8 or 1/2

Thanks
Tom

John Frigillana
02-12-2009, 6:52 PM
:D Let me know also. I'd like to get some 1/2" rod and make my own cutter holder.:rolleyes:

Ron Lynch
02-12-2009, 8:25 PM
I've tried using standard metal working round carbides in a home-made tool and it really wasn't too successful. The hunter carbides appear to be ground and honed to a sharper edge than the metal working cutters. You'd probably be farther ahead getting the Hunter carbides and making your tool using them.

David Drickhamer
02-12-2009, 8:32 PM
I agree with Ron. I've tried some carbide metal cutting bits with not much success. I bought the Hunter cutter and made my own handle. The Hunter cutter may be a little pricey but you'll never regret buying it.

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2009, 9:21 PM
I didn't have any luck witht he metal cutters and bought the hunter cutters.

Steve Schlumpf
02-12-2009, 9:56 PM
Tom - like others I have started to check around for carbide cutters. I did save this website for future reference but personally have not bought from them so can't couch for the cutter or the company's service. Still, it might be worth checking out. I did get this website from someone here on Sawmill - I just don't remember who at this moment. Sorry about that!

http://www.carbidedepot.com/Dynamiclanding.aspx?CategoryID=4285

Allen Neighbors
02-12-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm another one that says, "Yea Hunter!". You can't beat the cutter, and you can't beat the man, or his service!
I got the tool and cutter, and put them in my own shaft and handle. Best tool made, for small boxes. I think he has them specially sharpened. I wouldn't want to try to sharpen one of those little cutters, with my shaking hands. :)

Wyatt Holm
02-13-2009, 2:16 PM
I want to buy Hunter cutters and build my own shaft and handle for them. Could someone who has done that post pictures?

Allen Neighbors
02-13-2009, 2:57 PM
Wyatt, I'll try to get a pic this afternoon. But I can tell you this: If you get the small cutter, it comes mounted on about a 3/4" long piece of metal. You can use a 1/2" rod of cold or hot rolled steel. Just bore a hole in the end for the little tool mount to fit into, and counter bore a hole and thread it for a set screw. That's what mine is.

Jeff Nicol
02-13-2009, 5:35 PM
Hey all I think you could make some of the other cutters work ,if you had a diamond wheel and a jig set up to spin the cutters evenly. I got a set of diamond grinding wheels at HF that have a 1/4" shaft and about 1" dia. I think I could mount it in a router table and make a shaft out of threaded rod that would hold the cutter at the correct angle and use a battery drill to spin the cutter at a low rpm and sharpen them very easily. The thing I see about the hunter cutters is the little groove all the way around the cutter. It must help release the chips? I will see If I can rig something up and post a pic if it would help anyone out.

Jeff