PDA

View Full Version : Call from a barter exchange system

Mitchell Andrus
02-12-2009, 5:02 PM
Barter exchange systems..... I remember these from the late 70's. I'm sure the internet makes these easier, but I'm really uncomfortable supplying goods with no guarantee that I'll get anything in return, 'cept some chits banked on someone's clipboard.

Oh, yes...their take is only a 10% exchange fee.

Have we come to this already??

Joe Pelonio
02-12-2009, 5:26 PM
I've never joined one of those groups, but have exchanged signs for products and services many times over the years. For example, lettering a tree service truck in exchange for removal of a large dead tree.

Scott Shepherd
02-12-2009, 6:22 PM
There is a large one here and it's all managed online somehow. They also get 10% as well as a whopping $500+ per year to join it. I know several people who have joined it and they trade stuff all the time. The owners have repeatedly tried to get me to join and they keep telling me they have a need for my services, but I haven't yet figured out how to pay my mortgage with someone else's services.

Mitchell Andrus
02-12-2009, 7:11 PM
Get your bank to join...?

Jim Mattheiss
02-12-2009, 10:01 PM
We used one of those services several years ago. We offered limited services from the family business in trade for things we wanted.

We had a landscaper come in and put in a few bushes and a quick and dirty slate walk when we needed it done quickly one September.

I think we bartered beeper service - back when beepers were COOL!

I can't remember any of the other services we availed ourselves of, but it wasn't horrible.

The question is - can you offer something for barter where you don't have a lot of COIN tied up in what you are bartering? Where it won't interfere with you everyday business/projects?

I've checked out your website a while ago and you build nice stuff.

Cheers

Jim