PDA

View Full Version : Top Loading Washer Recommendation

Tim Malyszko
02-12-2009, 2:01 PM
Where else would one go for a good washer recommendation? A woodworking forum... DUH!!!:D

But seriously, our Washer died the other day and we aren't ready to spend $2k to $3k on one of those fancy shmancy front loading washer and dryer sets that does everything except make toast. We are however, looking for another WHITE top loading washer somewhere in the $400 to $600 range.

Any suggestions? There are way too many options out there and I was suprised at how little info I could find on reviews and such. What I do find all seem like somewhat biased reviews.

Thanks.

Brent Ring
02-12-2009, 3:02 PM
Whatever you can find that fits your sizing and pricing - at COSTCO. Their liberal return policies have made that a no brainer for me where electronics and other appliances are concerned. I have returned a washer, a dryer, and a waffle iron, and got my money back each time - with no hassle. Most were in the 90-180 day range, although I had a dryer that had problems after 11 months and they did not even blink an eye on refund.

I have a DVD recorder that just went bad that we purchased from Walmart (wifes choice, not mine, and she is regretting it now) and we are basically stuck with the mfg's 90 day warranty.

just my thoughts!

Rob Russell
02-12-2009, 3:52 PM
We replaced both our washer and dryer abuot a year ago with an upper end Kenmore pair - rebadged Whirlpool units. The washer is one of the top-loading high efficiency ones. My wife doesn't like either machine as much as the older ones. We've had some cases where the washing machine didn't use enough water to rinse all of the soap out of the clothes.

Von Bickley
02-12-2009, 4:05 PM
Tim,
Check out the Fisher Paykel. Lowes carries them. I have a friend that bought one several years ago and they have been WELL PLEASED.....

They are a little more expensive, but they have a good reputation. I think they run around $700, but I'm not sure.

Tim Malyszko
02-12-2009, 4:38 PM
Check out the Fisher Paykel. Lowes carries them. I have a friend that bought one several years ago and they have been WELL PLEASED

That is what we have now. The Washer, has performed well, but getting service on it has been difficult. In fact, I'm the service man. I've learned a whole lot more that I ever wanted to on Washer Repair. I'm tired of having to expedite parts for it, so I'm looking for another brand.

Matt Meiser
02-12-2009, 5:23 PM
Last year I read an article that said that new federal standards on water use had make top load washers except for the Whirlpools that were basically a front load tipped on their back basically useless. In testing, they found some actually took the dirt from the dirtiest clothes and redistributed it to the cleaner clothes. You might want to read reviews before buying anything.

My parents bought a Frigidaire front load and are happy with it. They didn't pay anywhere close to $2-3K.

Rob Luter
02-12-2009, 5:33 PM
We bought a Fisher & Paykel top loader last year and are very happy. It was reasonable priced, is a "low water consumption" version, and has a real centrifuge for a spin cycle. Clothes are almost dry on removal so the dryer doesn't get much use. The tub is direct drive with a stepper motor instead of a transmission and the whole tub assembly is fully suspended rather than sitting on springs. No vibration and it's very quiet. We bought it locally and the one service call we needed (odd noise) got handled the same week.

From an engineering perspective it's very cool and it flat out works to boot.

Al Willits
02-12-2009, 5:33 PM
Last year I read an article that said that new federal standards on water use had make top load washers except for the Whirlpools that were basically a front load tipped on their back basically useless. In testing, they found some actually took the dirt from the dirtiest clothes and redistributed it to the cleaner clothes. You might want to read reviews before buying anything.

My parents bought a Frigidaire front load and are happy with it. They didn't pay anywhere close to $2-3K.

I'd remind your folks not to over load that front loader, or they won't be all that happy with the cost of a new drum bearing...:)
Same for the rest of the front loaders.

For $400-600 I'd get a top load Whirlpool, or a Maytag but with the Maytag make sure it has the two belt drive system not the single belt model.

We have the Fisher Paykel and while probably the best top loader and better than most front loaders, their service/parts network sucks.

Al

Jim O'Dell
02-12-2009, 6:10 PM
We bought a Maytag pair a few years back. LOML is pleased with it. No problems what so ever. Jim.

Al Willits
02-12-2009, 6:28 PM
Jim, Maytag now has two washers under the Maytag name, their basic one belt washer which is the same as Norge and is the cheaper of the two, and the higher end two belt washer, bit harder to find, but it is the washer our folks used to say lasted forever.

Many washers or appliances do just find untill you stress them a bit, that's when the better made ones shine...or keep working..:)

Al

Mike Henderson
02-12-2009, 7:49 PM
I bought a GE top loader about a year ago and like it. I notice it gets the clothes cleaner than my old (about 20 years old) Kenmore that I had before. It's a high efficiency model and uses less water but certainly enough to clean the clothes well.

The reason we didn't buy a front loader is that you have to put them up on a pedestal or you have a hard time getting thing out of them. And when you put them on a pedestal, you lose the work space on the top of the washer and dryer (for folding clothes).

Mike

Bob Rufener
02-12-2009, 7:56 PM
We've had a Fisher Paykel for about 5 years and my wife is very pleased with it. Low water consumption and in really spins the clothes quite dry.

Kyle Kraft
02-12-2009, 8:51 PM
I wouldn't buy a Whirlpool at all or any other brand less than 8 years old. I'm sold on the pre-takeover Maytags myself.

Art Mulder
02-12-2009, 8:54 PM

That was one, Matt, not a set. Still, I think the 3K is out of line. Certainly you can get a good set for $2k, probably less.

Matt Meiser
02-12-2009, 9:39 PM
Oops, I missed that he said set--I was thinking just washer. Yes, the set would have been in the $2K range.

Benjamin Dahl
02-12-2009, 10:31 PM
I bought a Maytag top loader last year and like it. I believe it is model MTW5870. I have not had any problems.

Art Mulder
02-13-2009, 7:15 AM
Oops, I missed that he said set--I was thinking just washer. Yes, the set would have been in the $2K range.

This week's Sears sales flyer has three different front loading laundry pairs on for just under $2k - Canadian. And two sets in the $1100-$1200 range.

But this is OT to the original post... Seriously, I'd just go look at Sears or HD for a basic top loading machine. But that other comment about the dual-belt unit is a good bit of advice. I'd never heard of that.

Tim Malyszko
02-13-2009, 8:43 AM
Wow,

I never expected to get this much of a response. Thanks for all the advice.

The reason we aren't going with a front load is that if we went front load, we really want one of the steam ones since we have a lot of things that go to the dry cleaner and this option would help us reduce it. Furthermore, we would want to replace the Washer and Dryer at the same time if we went this route, but when you throw in the washer, dryer and stands, we are pushing $2500-$3000 (I'd rather buy a Sawstop, but my wife complains that it's hard to do laundry with the Sawstop). We only plan on being in our current house for a couple more years and currently use a Gas dryer. We would hate to move and then the laundry room only accomidate a electric dryer. So, in the mean time, we want to replace our broken washer and keep the dryer, since that seems to work fine.

Fortunately, it seems this is a great weekend to shop for one since everyone has a pretty good President's Day sale.

Thanks again for the feedback. Is there anything that SMC cannot provide???:D

Al Willits
02-13-2009, 9:15 AM
Wow,

I never expected to get this much of a response. Thanks for all the advice.

The reason we aren't going with a front load is that if we went front load, we really want one of the steam ones since we have a lot of things that go to the dry cleaner and this option would help us reduce it. Furthermore, we would want to replace the Washer and Dryer at the same time if we went this route, but when you throw in the washer, dryer and stands, we are pushing $2500-$3000 (I'd rather buy a Sawstop, but my wife complains that it's hard to do laundry with the Sawstop). We only plan on being in our current house for a couple more years and currently use a Gas dryer. We would hate to move and then the laundry room only accomidate a electric dryer. So, in the mean time, we want to replace our broken washer and keep the dryer, since that seems to work fine.

Fortunately, it seems this is a great weekend to shop for one since everyone has a pretty good President's Day sale.

Thanks again for the feedback. Is there anything that SMC cannot provide???:D

When you watch the LG commerical about the steam feature, that is added steam, the unit will not make that kind of steam, this comes from the two LG tech reps that gave a trainng course at the company I work for, plus the fact we have one of there machines in our laundry training room.

Maybe find someone who has that feature and ask them how well it really works, rummor has it a damp towel in the dryer works as well too and the chance of repairs are much less.

Al

Tim Malyszko
02-13-2009, 9:21 AM
When you watch the LG commerical about the steam feature, that is added steam, the unit will not make that kind of steam, this comes from the two LG tech reps that gave a trainng course at the company I work for, plus the fact we have one of there machines in our laundry training room.

Maybe find someone who has that feature and ask them how well it really works, rummor has it a damp towel in the dryer works as well too and the chance of repairs are much less.

Al

Good to know. I guarantee if we purchased these, we would try the steam cycle out first and if it didn't live up to the 'hype' they would be going directly back to the store.

Tim Malyszko
02-14-2009, 8:33 AM
Just to follow up, we went with the Maytag Centennail Super Capacity Washer - Model MVWC700VW from Home Depot. It was on sale for $521 and included free delivery and haul away of the old one. We liked this one for the following reasons:

Maytag Name
Super Quiet
Nice Capacity
Parts readily available locally
Good Reviews
Thanks again for the feedback.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-14-2009, 8:41 AM
Tim,

We bought an upper end of the model line Maytag top loader washer 3 years ago. We have been extremely happy with it. It's quiet and when it's washing, it has the quiet yet authoritative sounds while going through it's cycles. The wife is very happy with this one.

Dave Lehnert
02-15-2009, 11:20 AM
I just purchased GE brand front load washer and dryer. Have spent hours reading about FL washers. Some things I have learned in the last day or two

-No matter the brand, read the reviews and people will say they are "Junk" get brand "X" next time. Read brand "X" review and it will say the same.
All the major brands are being sued over the mold issue.

-They all will smell of mold if you do not leave the door open after washing. Only use HE soap (Dry is better than the liquid). Run the clean cycle once a month with Affresh or like product. Use hot water as often you can. Dry out the front gasket after each use.

- I have read in magazines and saw a story on TV that Maytag's lonely repair man is anything but lonely. They have the highest repair issues than any other brand.

As far as shopping for price don't over look the small Mom and Pop stores. Most times I shop at the major retailers for such items. This time I whent to a mom and pop place. The guy who sold me the set was the owner and his wife the cashier. I saved $200 to the next cheapest store $300 at most other stores. (Best Buy, Sears, Lowe's, HD etc...) Exact same brand and model. Free pick up and delivery. Dryer cord was included.
Check out a refrigerator there also. They were priced $899. Sears and HD was $1,100. Exact same unit.