PDA

View Full Version : Plywood quality?

Rick Steverson
02-12-2009, 1:43 PM
My imagination or are face veneers on plywood getting thinner than what they were a few years ago?

My recent purchases were all from Home Depot and Lowes. Did notice that all the birch, oak, and maple in the upper rack at my local HD were stamped manufactured in China. Faces seem paper-thin. Going to check the sole independent Hardware and Lumber store in my town when I get a chance, to see if their stuff is any better.

Rod Sheridan
02-12-2009, 1:46 PM
Rick, in my experience it's not worth purchasing any plywood at the big box stores.

My local sawmill sells quality North American or Russian plywood for only slightly more money than the "wonder wood" they sell at the big box stores.

I call it wonder wood because after watching it delaminate at the store, I wonder what you could use it for.

Regards, Rod.

Steve Clardy
02-12-2009, 2:05 PM
Its all getting paper thin. Even the US plywood.

Had some red oak last year that if you just thought about touching it with a sander you were through the face veneer.

It had red glue under the face veneer to give it some color.

John Schreiber
02-12-2009, 2:11 PM
I got some recently which appeared to have green nylon strapping in one of the middle plies. I'm definitely giving up on borg plywood, but it's hard to get to a real lumber yard when they are open.