PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw choice for newbie

Gary A Smith
02-12-2009, 1:07 PM
I am starting to put together a wood shop and am looking at bandsaws. Since I am purchasing a number of tools in a short period of time price is a consideration. I have looked at the bandsaw threads on this and other forums but there seem to be many conflicting opinions about the various saws. Right now I can get a Jet JWBS-14DX with a 1 1/4 hp motor on sale for $500 at Rockler. There is also a used Delta 28-243 with a 1/2 hp motor for sale near me. The owner says that he bought it new in 1990, that it has had only light use, and is in "excellent" condition. He is asking $195 for it.
I understand that hp is important for resawing, but some owners suggest that the older made in USA motors are somehow stronger than today's Asian made motors and that the older Deltas work fine for resawing if you go slow. Others suggest swapping out the motors. I am not prepared to step up in price to purchase a larger BS in the $800 - $1000 range at this time. I am thinking of pulling the trigger on one of the above, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. (This board has been very helpful to me with my purchases to date.) Thanks.

Gary A Smith
02-12-2009, 1:10 PM
Ooops, I posted in the wrong area.
Moderator, can you move this to General Woodworking and Power Tools? Sorry.

Prashun Patel
02-12-2009, 1:22 PM
I'll ask what everyone's gonna ask: what are you planning to use it for?

If you plan to do much resawing, then you might do well to just hold out for a 17".

If not, then I suggest you look at the Grizzly G0555x. Comes with a lot of good features for under $600.

mike holden
02-12-2009, 1:29 PM
Gary,
To answer your question: Buy the Delta
Why? Because it is the standard and everything from replacement parts to attachments to gizmos will be made to fit. Jet is a well-known brand, but Delta is the standard.
Dont get hung up on horsepower, when you start blowing fuses on the circuit because you are resawing twelve inch thick maple, then you can think about upgrading the motor. But I daresay you are quite a ways from that yet. (grin)
Mike

Gary A Smith
02-12-2009, 1:32 PM
Shawn:
I think that is part of my problem in making a decision - I won't know how and to what extent I will use it until after I have it and start using it. My expectation is that I will want to be able to do some resawing with it, but that it won't be a heavy amount. I appreciate the G0555X suggestion.

John Sanford
02-12-2009, 1:38 PM
Another thing to consider right now is the Steel City Granite BS. I believe its on sale a few places for less than the Jet you mentioned. It has been well reviewed, and the granite top is a much friendlier clamping surface. Of course, you can't use magnetic fixtures with it, so its a trade off. Easier clamping and no rust versus magnetic fixtures.

James Williams 007
02-12-2009, 2:46 PM
I got that delta off the list for about the same price, a little older though, a year ago with the intentions to upgrade the motor. I have resawed 10" cherry and maple and have had no problems so I am in no hurry to get a new motor now. The trick is a good blade and a well adjusted bandsaw. If it dosent come with a riser block I would grab one of those right off and then by a new blade and start having fun. Heres a pic of mine:D

Joe Chritz
02-12-2009, 2:51 PM
I have access to a huge bandsaw so I did not add a riser block to my Delta. It is the same saw as the used one you mention and it is very nice.

I spent the money and bought a woodslicer resaw blade and it takes 6" maple without a hint of bogging down.

It is a good saw, seems like a nice price and will serve you well. Seems like an easy sell.

Joe

Brent Ring
02-12-2009, 2:57 PM
I went the route of finding a good used bandsaw - a 1973 PowerMatic 141. I have been slightly frustrated by the 6" resaw limitations, but I only have $500 into mine, including a new Kreg fence. Blade Choice is critical. But if you spend less, you have more for other things. I am looking at my 14" PM as a learning saw, and will upgrade when I find I can't do things on it I would like.

I have definately learned that about my Ridgid Portable Table Saw. Should have bought a 3660 or something else, in hindsight. But I use my table saw extensively.

Clint Schlosser
02-12-2009, 4:36 PM
Having just got my shop up and running I would say that the Delta is probably your better choice.

It seems like it would do most tasks a weekend warrior would throw at it. I can guarantee that if you find it is limiting down the road you will be itching for a new saw. Spending less now and seeing if you keep with it will make the decision down the road much easier.

John Hedges
02-12-2009, 5:07 PM
Since you aren't entirely sure what you'll be using it for, I would go with the delta. Hard to beat that price and the older ones were really well made. As someone else said you'll have more to spend on other things.

If you find yourself doing a lot of resawing you'll probably find that you'll want something bigger than a 14" anyway, and you can buy a resaw machine. You'll also have more experience with a BS and have a better idea of what you want. Then if you get a dedicated resaw machine in the future you can keep the Delta. A 14" and a dedicated resaw BS are a great combo to have. If you find you don't do a lot of resawing then the Delta will still be a great choice.

george wilson
02-12-2009, 5:39 PM
I've had an old model Delta since 1964 that I bought used. It is actually the only bandsaw I've ever used,though i've used a lot of others in work ,college,etc. I have an old 1950's Delta that I'm fixing up to replace the 14".

I'd totally recomend the Delta. Others are just copies of it. If it is an early 1990's model,it might still be made in USA,according to input from members. Mine has never had but a 3/4 h.p. old heavy duty American made Master brand motor on it,and has never lacked for power. You won't be troubled by metric fasteners if it is USA.

Gary A Smith
02-12-2009, 6:08 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I am going to try and buy the Delta, use it, and then see if I eventually need a bigger saw. It is telling that no one suggested that I go ahead and buy the Jet.

Jim Kountz
02-12-2009, 6:13 PM
For $195 its a no brainer for me. Now if the Jet had been the same or close to the same price I may have opted for the larger motor but in this situation Id get the Delta. Theres nothing wrong with the Jet. The only reason here I would not suggest it is just price.

John Hedges
02-12-2009, 6:17 PM
It is telling that no one suggested that I go ahead and buy the Jet.

Nothing wrong with the Jet. Actually, I used to have that exact saw and it was very nice. In fact I wish I still had it to go along with my 20" saw. Just the price of the Delta and the fact that it is one of the old made in the US saws make it a no brainer to most of the folks here I think.

John Bailey
02-12-2009, 6:43 PM
Delta - the older the better. Keep it till you need a bigger one. Still keep it, buy the bigger one and be in band saw heaven.

John

Gary A Smith
02-12-2009, 7:26 PM
Well, I wasn't quick enough on the Delta - missed it by a couple of hours. But, I'll keep looking for another.