PDA

View Full Version : Must see this shop

Joe Jensen
02-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Just browsing the Phoenix Craig's list last night and there is a post for $48000 shop. Click the link and find a rich guy's super shop for sale. Sounds like a foreclosed house that included the tools. In the pic, all looks brand new. Northfield Unipoint 16" RAS, new price $16-20K. Northfield 36D 36" bandsaw $20K or so new. 14" PM TS, 16" PM disc sander, PM28 shaper, on and on. Guy claims it is $60K new (I think they may be worth more) and he wants $48K which is a pipe dream in this market. Wish I had a huge space. The two Northfield machines are on my dream list, both both are WAY too large for my 3 car garage :shocked:

Go to Craig's list and search for "unipoint".

This is not an advertisement by me, but more of an oh my gosh. Imagine having the coin to drop on that collection, looks like all bought in one shot. Also, notice how clean they are and oddly all are on mobile bases, even the Northwood stuff :confused:

Rod Sheridan
02-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Just browsing the Phoenix Craig's list last night and there is a post for $48000 shop. Click the link and find a rich guy's super shop for sale. Sounds like a foreclosed house that included the tools. In the pic, all looks brand new. Northfield Unipoint 16" RAS, new price $16-20K. Northfield 36D 36" bandsaw $20K or so new. 14" PM TS, 16" PM disc sander, PM28 shaper, on and on. Guy claims it is $60K new (I think they may be worth more) and he wants $48K which is a pipe dream in this market. Wish I had a huge space. The two Northfield machines are on my dream list, both both are WAY too large for my 3 car garage :shocked:

Go to Craig's list and search for "unipoint".

This is not an advertisement by me, but more of an oh my gosh. Imagine having the coin to drop on that collection, looks like all bought in one shot. Also, notice how clean they are and oddly all are on mobile bases, even the Northwood stuff :confused:

Come on Joe, get out your cheque book and help the US out of the recession and stimulate the economy!;)

They're all on mobile bases, are you close enough to push them home to your shop?:D

Regards, Rod.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-12-2009, 1:23 PM
All tools are three phase.

It's interesting why he needed all those jumbo tools if he was a hobbyist. If he was trying to run a business out of his garage, his neighbors must be glad to see him go.

-Jeff :)

Joe Jensen
02-12-2009, 1:42 PM
All tools are three phase.

It's interesting why he needed all those jumbo tools if he was a hobbyist. If he was trying to run a business out of his garage, his neighbors must be glad to see him go.

My guess is he was a very affluent hobbiest. Phoenix had a ton of super rich folks in the real estate business who are now broke.

Jim Kountz
02-12-2009, 6:33 PM
Hmmmpffft. reminds me of my shop........................And then I woke up!!

Brad Wood
02-12-2009, 6:51 PM

There are folks out there with way too much money for their own good. They get it in their heads they want to build a wall clock, so they go drop 60k on a shop (probably had the shop built too).
I see it in the Harley world too.. guys build out a 30k shop/garage to act as a parking spot for their decked out 35k 2003 Harley with 750 miles on the odometer.

Joe Jensen
02-12-2009, 7:07 PM
There are folks out there with way too much money for their own good. They get it in their heads they want to build a wall clock, so they go drop 60k on a shop (probably had the shop built too).
I see it in the Harley world too.. guys build out a 30k shop/garage to act as a parking spot for their decked out 35k 2003 Harley with 750 miles on the odometer.

Don't say that. I've been at this for 30 years, and some day when I win the lottery I'm building a giant shop and filling it with the best. The Northfield Unipoint is on my Powerball Dream Shop list as is a 36" bandsaw. I'd go with Euro stuff on the rest. A guy can dream :D

Jeffrey Makiel
02-12-2009, 7:21 PM
I just got my summary statement tonight for my retirement investment program and it showed just how much I lost in the last year. Perhaps I own one of those pieces of machinery and don't know it.

Jim Watts
02-12-2009, 7:23 PM
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/tls/1031414003.html

Brad Wood
02-12-2009, 7:35 PM
Don't say that. I've been at this for 30 years, and some day when I win the lottery I'm building a giant shop and filling it with the best. The Northfield Unipoint is on my Powerball Dream Shop list as is a 36" bandsaw. I'd go with Euro stuff on the rest. A guy can dream :D

winning the lottery is different :)

Jonathan Spool
02-12-2009, 10:17 PM
What a Pro set up! No Jointer. No Planer. And a crummy scroll saw. Everything is nice and clean though! Wheres the lathe?

Steve Vaughn
02-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Hmmmpffft. reminds me of my shop........................And then I woke up!!

Yeah, it's just like my shop. All of my tools are three prong....oh, wait a minute, three phase........

And, If I ever win the lottery I'm going to go crazy on tool purchases. I think I'll put Italian marble floors in my new workshop.

:D:D:D

Steve

Dennis Puskar
02-13-2009, 12:09 AM
No Lathe I'll have to pass.

Dennis

Peter Gregory
02-13-2009, 12:34 AM
If I had to choose between a top notch SUV or $50k of shop gear, I would choose the shop. Guess it would be better to have enough for both. :)

Thanks for posting the link, good reading.

Karl Brogger
02-13-2009, 11:44 AM
If there really is $60k in tools, its worth less than half, especially if he plans on selling it as one whole lot. Regardless of how new the equipment is, the used equipment market is flooded and everything is going cheap. $48,000 is way too much in my opinion compared to the market prices, but realistically I wouldn't mind spending that and selling off what I didn't want.

Joe Jensen
02-13-2009, 6:41 PM
If there really is $60k in tools, its worth less than half, especially if he plans on selling it as one whole lot. Regardless of how new the equipment is, the used equipment market is flooded and everything is going cheap. $48,000 is way too much in my opinion compared to the market prices, but realistically I wouldn't mind spending that and selling off what I didn't want.

I think the $60K list price is possible, the two Northfield tools alone are between $36-40K.

In a great economy, this guy would be lucky to get 50% selling all as a package. If he sold it piece meal today in this economy he would be lucky to get 50% as they look new. Selling as a package, I'd think a machinery broker would be unlikely to offer more than 25%, maybe less.

Pat Germain
02-13-2009, 9:31 PM
Wow, everything looks brand new! The ad says the current owner aquired the shop and everything in it when he bought the house. Dollars to doughnuts, the guy who built the shop went belly-up and lost it all in an auction. I bet the current owner bought the whole shebang for a song and anything he gets for that shop is gravy.

Rob Damon
02-13-2009, 10:03 PM
I guess that is pretty sad to see all those nice tools just sitting around....

oh-oh..what am I saying????

->there is a post for $48000 shop...Check!

->help the US out of the recession and stimulate the economy...Check!

->he was a hobbyist...Check!

->There are folks out there with way too much money for their own good...Check!

->I've been at this for 30 years...Check!

->Wheres the lathe?....Check!

->If I ever win the lottery I'm going to go crazy on tool purchases...Sorta...Check!

->Car or $50k of shop gear, I would choose the shop...Check!

->Ok.. I'm guilty.. after living in a 12'x50' trailer for 26 years, I was left a nice inheritance...

See next post....

Rob Damon
02-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Now if I could just get the shop building finished off, I could start playing with these in my dream come true retirement woodworking shop...

Rob

Pat Germain
02-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Well, it would seem, thanks to Rob, Powermatic is the one company who will turn a nice profit this quarter. Way to go, Rob!

I lived on The Peninsula for over 16 years. I worked next to Patrick Henry Mall. I had no desire to return until I saw your shop. Forget Busch Gardens, I want to vacation at Rob's place.

Rob Damon
02-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Sad, but all that mustard and I didn't even get a free Powermatic T-shirt..:D

I have lived on the Peninsula all but 5-1/2 years of my life. We live minutes from Patrick Henry Mall.

Rob

Pat Germain
02-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Sad, but all that mustard and I didn't even get a free Powermatic T-shirt..:D

I have lived on the Peninsula all but 5-1/2 years of my life. We live minutes from Patrick Henry Mall.

Rob

Dude, you could build a fourth ship for Jamestown!

Steve Vaughn
02-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Now if I could just get the shop building finished off, I could start playing with these in my dream come true retirement woodworking shop...

Rob

That's a really nice stealth gloat. I've been to that area many times. My grandmother lives in Hampton. She'll be 98 this year. The next time I'm there why don't you just leave your shop unlocked?

:D:D:D

Steve

Rob Damon
02-13-2009, 11:58 PM
I would have posted in the shop forum, showing the shop progress and tools purchases along the way but didn't want to become the senior spokes person for the group of folks that take more than two years to start and finish a workshop..:D:D:D:D

(you folks that fall in the catagory know who I am talking about:cool::cool:)

The shop had it's ground breaking in Oct. 2007 :eek::eek:

The tool "collection" started in May 2008 :):)

I still have a lonnnnnnng way to go.....

Rob

Karl Brogger
02-14-2009, 12:51 AM
I still have a lonnnnnnng way to go.....

I started my shop in 2004 with as much or less equipment than you've got there. You'd be amazed how creative you can get when you have to. I've got what I consider to be the bare minimums now to do this "professionally" and while I've bought many things used I've still spent almost $60k on equipment and tooling. It adds up quick, and it goes even quicker. A few weeks ago I made a list of everything that I could think of in the shop just in case it burned down, tornado, etc... That's the only reason I have any idea whats in there. Consequently, my $60k got me alot more than the guy on craigslist did.:D

Rob Russell
02-14-2009, 8:13 AM
I would have posted in the shop forum, showing the shop progress and tools purchases along the way but didn't want to become the senior spokes person for the group of folks that take more than two years to start and finish a workshop..:D:D:D:D

(you folks that fall in the catagory know who I am talking about:cool::cool:)

Trust me on this one - It's a different Rob that has you beat in terms of taking a long time to get a shop fully functional. :o

Ken Fitzgerald
02-14-2009, 8:30 AM
Yeah...well Rob and Rob....You can just get in line for those honors. I've been working on my shop for 5 years now and it's still not completed. My wife jokingly refers to it as my "retirement project". The not-so funny thing is....I can retire later this year and it's still not done......of course, if the crazy inmate turners here hadn't gifted me with a lathe 3 years ago, I'd been a whole lot closer to having it finished!

Tony Scolaro
02-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Joe Might be better of with a 36" Yates American snow flake fully restored.

Tony

Eric B. Peacock
02-17-2009, 1:52 PM
In Texas we would say a guy like that is "all hat, and no cattle."