PDA

View Full Version : Any fans of the PBS Show Woodturning Workshop?

Jeff Farris
02-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Our PBS station doesn't carry it yet. Just wondered what Creekers thought of the show and if I should beg the station manager.

Radek Kowalski
02-12-2009, 1:10 PM
The last time I saw the show on PBS was probably 4 months ago. This was just as I got my lathe and loved the shows. I wonder what happened and if they will be coming back.

Stephen Massman
02-12-2009, 1:20 PM
I am the club president of the Midwest Woodworkers in Columbia MO. We bought the full season 1 about 6 months ago for checkout in the club library. It has been well received and well worth the investment.

I also wish my local PBS carried it and if yours is also KMOS out of Warrensburg, please let me know if they start carrying it.

mike holden
02-12-2009, 1:24 PM
The few shows I saw here in SE Michigan, were worth watching. Seems that all the wood shows are only shown in the summer months here, come fall and its nothing except for the NYW.
FWIW, the show was on the local PBS from Detroit, and mirrored on the one in Ann Arbor.

Jack Mincey
02-12-2009, 1:34 PM
We get it here in western NC sat. morning at 10:30 on Direct TV channel 29, which is PBS ETV here. Used to be on at 4:00 A.M. I had to record then. It is a good show and Tim has been having guest some lately that add a great deal of knowledge to the show.
Jack

Kyle Iwamoto
02-12-2009, 3:44 PM
I've seen it once on DIY Network, and haven't seen a second one. I even have a DVR and have it programmed to record it. Nothing since a few months, maybe several months ago. I liked the show. It was how to make an aluminum bowl with the wood lathe.

On a side issue, if you do get DIY Network, watch "Renovation Realities". It's a show on how homeowners, who have little to no experience, rebuilding/renovating or building an addition to thier houses. Basically how NOT to install a deck, as an example. Some funny stuff. One couple wanted to renovate their downstairs in 6 days. NOT. Well, 6 months later, still going, and way over budget.

Joe Pfeifer
02-12-2009, 4:22 PM
I think it's a great show. The second season wasn't as informative, but it was still interesting. I think it's on WYIN here in Chicago.

Ralph Lindberg
02-12-2009, 4:28 PM
Jeff, etal

A few notes: There have been two seasons of The Woodturning Workshop shown nationally. Season one was 26 episodes, Season two was 13.

Season three has apparently finished production has started being shown on the originating station (RSU-Public TV) and is being released to the national PBS feeds "in the spring".

Season one appeared over the winter and spring of 2007
Season two appeared in the spring and early summer of 2008

Links http://www.rsupublictv.org/spotlightswtw.htm
http://www.createtv.com/CreateProgram.nsf/vProgramsByNola/WDWK?OpenDocument&Index=

Lastly I don't think that this show ever appeared on the DIY channel, rather that was yet-another woodturning show, with a different person then Tim Yonder

(PS, watch for new tools, and guest(s) this season that you might recognize)

Gordon Seto
02-12-2009, 4:33 PM
Do you mean the Tim Yoder show? I just discovered that our PBS station carries it at 4:30 on Sunday morning. I doubt we will be able to see them at a better time slot.
I don't really think it has anything to do with the quality of the show. There are not enough woodturners for the station to put this kind of show for fund raising. If the shows are good in out point of view - plenty of detail for us to learn from. It would be boring to the mass viewers who are not woodturners. For the same reason, I would flip the remote if it has knitting or crocheting that I don't care to learn. The job of the PBS station program directors is to capture their viewers as much as they can and offend the least number of viewers.

Steve Schlumpf
02-12-2009, 5:26 PM
Jeff - I guess I live just to far out in the stocks as I have never even heard of this show. I will keep an eye out for it just in case someone made a program error and they started showing it! Sounds interesting!

Jim McFarland
02-12-2009, 6:01 PM
Jeff, etal

<snip>
Season three has apparently finished production has started being shown on the originating station (RSU-Public TV) and is being released to the national PBS feeds "in the spring".

<snip>

Yes -- I just watched episode 6 of season 3 this afternoon. RSU is one of our public TV stations so I get WTW 3 times a week (if I miss one!).

Jim Kountz
02-12-2009, 6:41 PM
I liked it but like others said it hasnt been on here lately either. We get the DC and Staunton PBS stations and I havent seen it lately.
The other show would be the one on DIY where the guy always has a student that hes teaching. It was pretty good too but I wish it was just the guy demo'ing his skills and leave the students out.

Dave Halter
02-12-2009, 8:18 PM
I try to catch it on Saturdays, but it's hit or miss on whether is on. Also, it's sometimes mislabeled in our local guide as the Woodwrights Shop. I've enjoyed every episode that I've seen.

Dave

Ron Lynch
02-12-2009, 8:33 PM
Yes, the show was very good, showed techniques and Tim Yoder is an excellent host/turner. Unfortunately it only ran for a couple months here in the Detroit PBS area. They tend to favor Depak Chopra and Wayne Dyer (Lord knows I can't tell you why) over shows of actual substance. The Woodwright and American Woodworker suffer that same fate.

Andrew Jordan
02-12-2009, 11:26 PM
I actually wrote to Tim Yoder, and he said they're filming their third season...it's a great show, and I really enjoy it!

it's not on the local PBS station right now, because the run is done for the year...I think it's slated to be back in the fall for my local station.

Dewey Torres
02-13-2009, 12:05 AM
Crap...we don't have it here unless I missed something.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Tim Yoder's show was on here for about 3 months on a local PBS station and then they quit broadcasting it. I found it to be excellent.

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2009, 12:28 AM
I just quit watching DIY since they have taken most of the woodworking and turning shows off. I wrote them about it and it all boils down to money. They make more money of do-it-yourselfer shows. I catch the Tim Yoder shows on occasion here on PBS and Norm's show.

Peter Lamb
02-13-2009, 8:44 AM
I live in Beaufort Cty SC and our PBS station has carried the show for two years, I met Tim at the Richmond Symposium, He is very knowledgable on about woodturning. His effort and that of Oklahoma PBS can only have a very benificial effect on spreading the word about woodturning and the lathe. For those who do not now receive the show you may wish to contact the higherups at your PBS station and ask them to add Woodturning Workshop to their lineup.
Peter

Jeff Farris
02-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Nice to see all of the positive response. I have to confess that I was being a little sneaky with the question. I wanted to see what everyone thought before I let you know that Season 3, which will be starting in the Spring, will be partially underwritten by Tormek. :)

Greg Just
02-15-2009, 1:33 PM
I really enjoyed season 1. Our local PBS had it on one of those added digital channels called Create. The main station here is 17 and this show was on 17.4. Luckily I was able to record it as it was on at like 2am. I'm hoping they will carry seasons 2 & 3. Tim Yoder is entertaining and the shows are informative.

John Nowack
02-15-2009, 9:17 PM
yes love the show---actualy have a famous Band saw now because Tim up graded and gave me his old one that he used on the show---I never miss the show and have it set to record every week (think he would perfer I buy them rahter than TVO it)----

I actually just bought a staved hollow form that one of his geusts (Bob Fulton alos a member) showed how to make on the show---he is the the closest thing to a famous person we ever get here in Oklahoma (with the exception of running into some guy named Garth Brooks at the book store every once in a while);)

Laurie Brown
03-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Our PBS station here showed it from August 07 to October 08, then it went off the air. I DVRed every episode they aired, and I think that's nearly all 39 of them. I'm still going through them to edit out commercials and burn them onto DVDs. I hope we get season 3! I don't have a lathe or really plan to start turning, but I found the show enjoyable and informative anyway.

Edit: Just finished my inventory, and looks like I have 30 of the 39 episodes. This season PBS replaced it with the Woodsmith Shop.

Angie Orfanedes
03-22-2009, 1:56 PM
I emailed the program manager of our local PBS station (Greenville, SC). She said she would put it back on in late April.

Joshua Dinerstein
03-22-2009, 3:01 PM
Personally I really like them. For a few reasons. You buy a Wood Turning DVD, of which I have purchased a ton, and you get 2 hours at most. This means they either have to move way to fast, a la Richard Raffan, or barely cover much of any thing at all but do so in greatest of detail (Lacer's skew video).

One of the things that I like best about Yoder's work is that it is 40+ episodes of 30 minutes each. Way way more time for him to go into small little details as they arise. I have learned a great deal more from his work that some much more famous turners and their DVDs. Ever tried to suffer through a Mike Darlow book or video? So dry it actually put me to sleep while watching it.

Joshua

Ryan Baker
03-22-2009, 9:48 PM
Ever tried to suffer through a Mike Darlow book or video? So dry it actually put me to sleep while watching it.

Ha ha! I've been there. I suffered through Darlow's sharpening video and it was 2 of the most painful hours of video i've ever seen. I won't make that mistake again.

Woodturning workshop only lasted about a half dozen episodes around here. I hope it comes back, but I won't hold my breath for more than a few episodes before they lose interest again. The same is true of all the other WWing shows. Not even NYW lasts around here.