PDA

View Full Version : Latest Projects...router cabinet and drill press table

Jeff Skory
07-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Hi All,

I've been pretty quiet at the Creek for quite a while even though I still have been lurking and commenting occasionally.

Finally finished up a couple of projects and thought I would share them. Just bought the tabletop for the router table which has been mostly completed for quite some time and also put together a drill press table from plans in one of the recent Wood magazines.

I'll post the pictures and descriptions in a couple of replies to keep from having too many pictures in a single one.

Jeff Skory
07-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Below is the cabinet made from purchased plywood and scrap material for the trim and drawer fronts.
The plans are based on the ones in "Woodworking with the Router" by Bill Hylton and Fred Matlack.

Jeff Skory
07-06-2004, 10:17 PM
Toughest part of this project (and not expected at all) was the hinges for the doors. Had to chisel out wood from both the door and the edges of the cabinet to get them to sit flush. I definitely need to learn more about different types of hinges and how to install them.

Man is using the router with a table and fence a lot nicer than freehanding it. :)

Jeff Skory
07-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Below are pictures of the drill press table made from the plans in the recent Wood magazine. BTW - I bought a Delta 965 drill press. :D

And man has the drill press improved the holes that I can make!!!!

The table is also a lot nicer than the steel one that comes with it. The clampdown capability especially. The fence moves back and forth (as expected), it has a stop block, and a nice place to store the chuck key.

And the center support piece (1/4" hardboard) can be pulled out and replaced when it gets too worn out. Nice set of plans.

Jeff Skory
07-06-2004, 10:23 PM
And finally, thank you to all of you who have helped me (whether I asked you directly or not). I have learned a tremendous amount here at the Creek by listening, asking, and sharing.

Thanks for looking.

Gary Whitt
07-07-2004, 8:27 AM
Very nice job!!!! :)

Brian Riley
07-07-2004, 8:39 AM
Ok Jeff......

Now I'm green with envy. Man, that router table is beautiful. I would LOVE to build a table like that but my problem is I want instant gratification when it comes to the tools. I have a brand new PC 7518 still in the box because I have vowed to myself I won't use it until I get a better table. Most likely I'll end up getting a setup from Woodpeckers.

Again.....nice job.

Brian

Russ Filtz
07-07-2004, 9:13 AM
What are the rods for inside the fence?

Kent Cori
07-07-2004, 9:29 AM
Jeff,

Great work on both projects. I can't decide which one I like better. Where did the top come from for the router table? And how the heck did you use your drill press to cut those square pieces of plywood lying on its base? :p

Douglas Robinson
07-07-2004, 9:34 AM
Russ:

I saw that issue of WOOD and the rods act as extensions allowing the ends of the fence to be pulled out to the left and right of the center of the fence.

Bob Powers
07-07-2004, 10:03 AM
It's gratifying to hear that others have problems with hinges other than me. After more years of woodworking than I wish to talk about, where do I have problems? Handcut dovetails? M&T? Finishing? Nooooo! Things made of metal, such as hinges, latches, drawer slides, etc. Great looking tables!

Jerry Olexa
07-07-2004, 2:56 PM
Jeff GREAT job on router table. I loved that book by Hylton and he has another called "Router Magic" which I also enjoyed and use as reference, Looks like you topped it w a Rockler top and fence. I have the same setup, built my own legs etc but do like a lot using the Router table. Good job. Keep pictures and projects coming!! Jerry

Chris Padilla
07-07-2004, 3:08 PM
Good to hear from you again, Jeff, and fantastic work! Congrats on the DP purchase...I have the very same one. First thing I did was bust off the center pin on the chuck...what an annoyance! :D Also, check to make sure the belts are lined up with the pulley...mine were off.

Congrats!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-07-2004, 3:13 PM
Fantastic craftsmanship Jeff!

Jeff Skory
07-07-2004, 8:55 PM
Ok Jeff......

I would LOVE to build a table like that but my problem is I want instant gratification when it comes to the tools. Brian

Brian, half the fun of this hobby is building stuff like this. It's only for your shop so it doesn't have to be perfect (good thing :rolleyes: ) and it's a great excuse to go down to the shop to play.

It really went a lot faster than I thought it would and I learned a lot in the process. Buy the top like I did but spend the time and make the cabinet.

Jeff Skory
07-07-2004, 8:57 PM
What are the rods for inside the fence?

As Doug mentioned they allow the fence to be extended in either direction by quite a distance. Haven't had the need yet but I have used the clamp downs almost every time and the stop block a few times.

Jeff Skory
07-07-2004, 9:02 PM
Where did the top come from for the router table? And how the heck did you use your drill press to cut those square pieces of plywood lying on its base? :p

Kent, I bought the table top from Rockler. It came with the fence and ran $110. Had to buy the 2.5" dust port and the feather boards separately. The metal insert was also extra. All together everything cost about around $180. Thought about making the top but chickened out.

And how the heck did you use your drill press to cut those square pieces of plywood lying on its base? :p

I used an 1/8" rasp at high speed. Slices through anything. :D

Jeff Skory
07-07-2004, 9:06 PM
First thing I did was bust off the center pin on the chuck...what an annoyance!

So you didn't like the little spring backed pin, huh? Doesn't really bother me too much. What was their reason? I think I read in the manual that this was so that you wouldn't accidentally leave it in the chuck and turn the drill on. I just can't picture doing that, but someone must have. :eek:

Brian Riley
07-08-2004, 7:33 AM
Well Jeff...

After looking at your table over and over (while drooling), I may just have to rethink my buying decision.

Brian

Carole Valentine
07-08-2004, 8:16 AM
Nice job! I need to build that DP table and definitely need to to do a router table cabinet. I bought the same drill press and love it, especially the quill lock! Makes it incredibly easy set the depth stop or to line up a workpiece and keep it in place as you clamp it!

Russ Filtz
07-08-2004, 10:18 AM
CHEATER!! I just finished building my DP table from scratch. Took about 3-4 days of fits & starts. Only a few problems like screws coming through the top, etc. Then I forgot to make the center section removeable :eek: . I'll have to route it out when the time comes. Also made the fence a little too tall on the right side so the handles hit it a little too easy. Just have to cut it down some. :o

Pics to follow (once I get my USB camera cable).

Jeff Skory
07-08-2004, 8:58 PM
CHEATER!! I just finished building my DP table from scratch. Took about 3-4 days of fits & starts. Only a few problems like screws coming through the top, etc. Then I forgot to make the center section removeable :eek: . I'll have to route it out when the time comes. Also made the fence a little too tall on the right side so the handles hit it a little too easy. Just have to cut it down some. :o

Pics to follow (once I get my USB camera cable).

Yeah, I haven't made too many original things yet. Haven't made too many things yet. :D I'll be waiting for those pics.

Jeff Skory
07-08-2004, 9:06 PM
Nice job! I need to build that DP table and definitely need to to do a router table cabinet. I bought the same drill press and love it, especially the quill lock! Makes it incredibly easy set the depth stop or to line up a workpiece and keep it in place as you clamp it!

Thanks Carole. Haven't seen you here before and judging from the fact that you have 5 posts to your name you must be pretty new. Welcome.

Yeah, I love that drill too. Glad I decided on that as opposed to a smaller model. I noticed in one of your other posts that you have a 24x24 shop and just got the Unisaw with the 52" fence (and presumably extension table). I got the same one, except that mine is crammed into a 12x13 shop along with all my other tools. It was the most I was able to carve out of the basement without too many complaints from my wife. Sometimes it's hard to walk around let alone shuffle the tools on their mobile bases so that there is enough room to work. The router cabinet doesn't help the situation. :D Ah, well. At least I have a shop!

Bob_Hammond
07-08-2004, 9:17 PM
I would suggest making the top. Glue up 2 3/4" pieces of MDF, add some edge banding, and then put plastic laminate on the top. It's really not that hard, and you'll pick up some new skills.

A router table was one of my first projects also. The homemade ones are much better then the store bought ones.

Bob

Jeff Skory
07-08-2004, 9:21 PM
Bob,

After looking closely at the one that I bought I'll agree that I probably could have built the top and the fence for much less. Next time.

Carole Valentine
07-09-2004, 9:10 AM
Thanks, Jeff. Yes I am fairly new to SMC and to woodworking. Just started learning about a year ago. Right now I am fighting to get over a bad case of the jitters concerning my Unisaw. Seven days ago, my buddy badly injured his hand in a kickback accident, a member in another forum I frequent lost the tip of his thumb and then yesterday a local gent lost 3 fingers. I already have the removable splitter, but today I am ordering a Uniguard. However, all the safety equipment in the world doesn't guarantee that at some point that thing won't "get" me. As a new woodworker, I am afraid I will unkowingly do something stupid even though I have a reasonably good brain and am super cautious! Have fun but be careful with yours.:)

Jeff Skory
07-09-2004, 4:26 PM
Thanks, Jeff. Yes I am fairly new to SMC and to woodworking. Just started learning about a year ago. Right now I am fighting to get over a bad case of the jitters concerning my Unisaw. Seven days ago, my buddy badly injured his hand in a kickback accident, a member in another forum I frequent lost the tip of his thumb and then yesterday a local gent lost 3 fingers. I already have the removable splitter, but today I am ordering a Uniguard. However, all the safety equipment in the world doesn't guarantee that at some point that thing won't "get" me. As a new woodworker, I am afraid I will unkowingly do something stupid even though I have a reasonably good brain and am super cautious! Have fun but be careful with yours.:)

Carole, if you haven't already looked at the Grr-Ripper system I urge you to do so. In my mind this little tool makes using a tablesaw 500% safer than working without it. ( :rolleyes: OK so I pulled that number out of my @#$). But seriously, I don't think I make a cut without it anymore. Do a search in the Creek here for Grr-Ripper or Gripper or Grrripper. You will find lots of post and lots of us that bought one or two of them.

I used to be quite jittery as well. Now I am much more confident although I remind myself not to get overconfident.

Stay safe, but don't work scared.

Bob Marino
07-09-2004, 4:43 PM
Jeff,

Real nice job on both pieces.

Bob

Carole Valentine
07-09-2004, 5:06 PM
Carole, if you haven't already looked at the Grr-Ripper system I urge you to do so.
Already have two of them! They are good safety devices and I use them all over my shop...TS. router. bandsaw...but don't let them lure you into a false sense of security. You still have to be on your toes and using your head.

Jason Tuinstra
07-10-2004, 10:18 AM
Jeff, great job on both projects. The router table must be a real treat for you. You did a nice job with it. Labels and everything. It turned out great. Have fun with it.

Mark Singer
07-10-2004, 10:22 AM
Jeff,
You look way too organized! Great job! Makes you want to build something...

Dennis Peacock
07-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Jeff,

Good to see you around here. ;)

What issue was the DP table in? I really need to do something like that for my DP and I like what you did on your DP table.

Excellent posts.

Jeff Skory
07-10-2004, 7:20 PM
Mark,

I had to label these puppies because otherwise I would forever be trying to
figure out which one of these bits is the 3/8" radius roundover, etc.

Dennis,

Plans are in Wood issue 156, June/July 2004.