PDA

View Full Version : Please identify this plant

Wolf Kiessling
07-06-2004, 6:37 PM
Anybody know what the name of this plant is? We have had it about 12 years and this is only the second time it has bloomed. It was started from a cutting and the person we got it from called it a Dutchman's Pipe. However, several years ago, when we were at the Phoenix Desert Botanical Center, they had a huge one of these in the succulent house and they called it something else. However, the name has escaped me. Here is a pic of the plant and another one of the blossom. The blossom also looks weird to me, seems to me when it bloomed while we were living in Houston, it opened up much wider and had a "Lily like" shape (for lack of a better word) instead of the "bulb" like shape now. Can anyone help?

Jim DeLaney
07-06-2004, 11:07 PM
It is one of the many varieties of Epiphyllum. Also called 'cactus orchids' by some.

I have about fifty of them - probably 25-30 different varieties - in my back yard. Flowers range from pure white, thru yellows, oranges, pinks, and bright reds. Some of them are night blooming only.

The only unfortunate part of them is that the beautiful blooms only last a day or two.

Wolf Kiessling
07-06-2004, 11:43 PM
It is one of the many varieties of Epiphyllum. Also called 'cactus orchids' by some.

I have about fifty of them - probably 25-30 different varieties - in my back yard. Flowers range from pure white, thru yellows, oranges, pinks, and bright reds. Some of them are night blooming only.

The only unfortunate part of them is that the beautiful blooms only last a day or two.

All right!!! Thanks a lot, Jim. I just knew that someone here would know....