PDA

View Full Version : Oval Beaded Rock Elm !0"x8½"x2½"

Leo Van Der Loo
02-12-2009, 4:00 AM
Finish turned this one green and let it dry, it's now been sanded and has a few coats of Polymerized Tung oil on it :).
The sanding took quite some diligence on the beads and the oval inside but it's done now :D
All comments welcome :D

Steve Schlumpf
02-12-2009, 9:07 AM
Now that's different! Very nice looking wood and I do like the detail work on rim area! Folks are going to wonder how you turned an oval shape with beads! Glad to see you were able to sand without removing any of the details! Nice work Leo! Thanks for sharing!

David Christopher
02-12-2009, 9:30 AM
Another outstanding specimem. Leo, that bow is beautiful

Paul Douglass
02-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Golly, that is outstanding.

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Leo that is a beauty. I had thought about beads on bowls but just never did try it. Well now's the time. Great job.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-12-2009, 1:21 PM
Now that's different! Very nice looking wood and I do like the detail work on rim area! Folks are going to wonder how you turned an oval shape with beads! Glad to see you were able to sand without removing any of the details! Nice work Leo! Thanks for sharing!

Hi Steve, yes the question came up at the turners club where I showed it, as how I turned it oval ;).
The beads were cleanly turned, so the amount to sand wasn't that much, but hand sanding these things especially the seams so they are clean is time consuming the same with the finish, it does take extra care and time, I do like the outcome, so it was worth it :D

alex carey
02-12-2009, 2:01 PM
good job, quite unique. Those beads must have been hell.

Jim Kountz
02-12-2009, 6:46 PM
Nice looking grain in this one Leo, as usual you did a great job with it!!

Leo Van Der Loo
02-12-2009, 7:41 PM
Another outstanding specimem. Leo, that bow is beautiful

Thank You David :D

Golly, that is outstanding.

Thank You Paul :D

Leo that is a beauty. I had thought about beads on bowls but just never did try it. Well now's the time. Great job.

Thank you Bernie :D, I've always stayed with just one as a little decoration, and on the bottom side mostly, just seemed like a couple on the top could look good on this one, skinny spindle gouge did do a nice job of it I think :)

Leo Van Der Loo
02-12-2009, 7:46 PM
good job, quite unique. Those beads must have been hell.

Hi Alex, thanks :), they were fun to make Alex, just some some extra hand sanding rather than letting the bowl spin ;)

Nice looking grain in this one Leo, as usual you did a great job with it!!

Thank you Jim :D :D