PDA

View Full Version : Scrollsaws...

Ron Bott
02-12-2009, 1:39 AM
I'm looking to purchase a scroll saw after tinkering with my dad's Dremmel scroll saw for a while. In my research, it seems like the DeWalt is the hands down winner for a mid-priced scroll saw. What would be the buying options if I wanted to take a step up from the DeWalt in terms of price and performance?

Dewey Torres
02-12-2009, 2:00 AM
Ron,
The Dewalt is modeled after the Excalibur, which would be the next step up. After that you are just looking for a saw with a larger throat capacity and less back to forth motion on the blade (which also makes it cut slower).

You need to first define to things:
1) what is the largest piece I will ever dream of working on?
2) how finite do I need to be?

I do very delicate work with my 788 with ease and it has 20 inch capacity.

Up from the Excalibur would be a
Henger or a Hawk.... then there are others. All of which come with a hefty price tag.

I seriously doubt you need that kind of saw yet but please don't take that as an insult.

What kind of work are you doing anyway?

Jeff Mohr
02-12-2009, 9:40 AM
Just for the record....I LOVE my Dewalt!!! Got it a year ago and it is GREAT! Make all kinds of fun stuff....

J D Thomas
02-12-2009, 9:47 AM
Ron,

If you're patient man, you might try scouring craigslist for a used Dewalt, if you decide to go in that direction. I did just that about a year and a half ago, and came across one that included the stand, light, and a myriad of blades and accessories. The saw was impeccably maintained and I got it for $150. YMMV of course, but good deals can be had on CL if one is patient and tenacious.

Just a thought.

Loren Hedahl
02-12-2009, 10:41 AM
I love my DeWalt also. Glad I got it.

Lori Kleinberg
02-12-2009, 5:54 PM
Another proud Dewalt owner.

Jim Finn
02-14-2009, 4:08 PM
.........and another..........

Dave Lehnert
02-14-2009, 7:10 PM
I have owned my DeWalt for about 6 or 7 years now. LOVE IT!!!

Not to rub it in or anything but got my Dewalt with stand at Lowes when they were clearance them out. $199.00

david nance
02-14-2009, 8:06 PM
I love my dewalt (except for the hold down which is junk). By the time the Dewalt becomes a limiting factor in your work, you'll know what the next step should be.

Thad Nickoley
02-14-2009, 10:08 PM
If you can swing it you can go wrong with the RBI Hawk. I love mine.

Jeff Mohr
02-17-2009, 10:05 AM
I love my dewalt (except for the hold down which is junk).

Oh yeah...forgot it came with that.....used a few times and I would have to conclude the same....

Ron Bott
02-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all the input. I ended up ordering a Hegner Multimax 22V.