PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw upper guide assm.

phil bourgault
02-12-2009, 1:31 AM
Ok guys so i got in a hurry and purchased an older Foremost bandsaw off Craigs list. The old guy seemed sincere but he got me:o. Now I need an upper guide assembly so I can use my new toy. Looking around, It appears that alot of different brands were probably made by the same manufacturer with just a different brandname stamped on them. Is this a correct assumption? And if so will that part be easy to find? The one thats on the machine now appears to be made of cheap pot metal. Is this what I can expect to find out there?
Any help would be greatly appreciate as I joined sawmill just to find an answer. Thanks in advance. Phil

Steve Rozmiarek
02-12-2009, 3:18 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Phil! I'm personally not familier with that make of saw, can you describe it a bit? How big? Maybe a photo? Carter makes aftermarket guides for just about everything, which may be an option, but you may be right about someone else marketing that same saw with a different brand name.

Jeff Willard
02-12-2009, 8:01 AM
Would it be a Taiwanese knock-off of the Delta 14" BS? If so, there are a ton of parts out there that will fit, or can be made to with minor modifications. I just replaced the upper wheel hinge/tensioning assembly on a Craftsman saw with Powermatic parts. No mods required.

phil bourgault
02-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Actually guys foremost was made in the good ole U. S. of A in Kent Washington, but they are out of business now:(. I'll try carter, Thanks

Phil Thien
02-17-2009, 8:25 PM
Check at owwm.org (Old Woodworking Machines), they may have some tips.

What is wrong w/ your upper guide?

Bob Aquino
02-17-2009, 8:41 PM
Actually guys foremost was made in the good ole U. S. of A in Kent Washington, but they are out of business now:(. I'll try carter, Thanks

Well, maybe not. Check out this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?referrerid=5960&t=91350

If it is a chiwanese saw, then you should be able to find a part at grizzly that might fit or you can go with carters, but you will probably have more in the guides than you do in the saw.