PDA

View Full Version : Flea Market Finds.....(gloat?)

Mike Langford
02-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Everyone who knows me, knows I love flea markets and yard sales! (because I'm Cheap.....er,I mean.....FRUGLE!)

There is no better place to find deals on items for your shop......GREAT way for the beginning (and old pro) woodworker to add things they need to their shops without spending alot of cash.....................

I've posted some of my finds before: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54764

I'd venture to guess that maybe 15% of the items in my shop are flea market finds/deals....(OK, I made that statistic up ;) but you know what I mean!)

Here's what I found today......I know, they're not earth shattering, but it's a few more items I can use in the shop and I didn't have to pay retail! :eek:

First off is an older model (?) Steelex D1060 (http://www.right-tool.com/steelpocholg.html) (sometimes sold under the Woodstock International name also) adjustable pocket hole jig.....I got it for $2 bucks....the seller thought it went somewhere on a tablesaw!
Here it is after being wire brushed and wiped down with acetone (and I found a hex wrench to go with it!)

Next is just an assortment of useful items......I got everything you see in the pic for $4.25.....$4 bucks for all the Ryobi items and .25 cents for the Stanley Awl.....
Here's a couple of pics of the awl after I wire brushed the metal, spent about 30 mins on it with a card scraper and sandpaper, and finally put on a coat of tung oil (wiping varnish).....didn't want to spend to much time on it since it's just an awl.....:p

Thanks for looking.....let's see some of your Flea Market finds (past or present)

Chip Lindley
02-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Congratulations Mike! Imma frugal sort also! I LOVE a Bargain! Its not that I am *TIGHT*, its the fact that I have *T-bone* woodworking tastes on a *Spam* budget! Bargains are where you find them! Yard sales have not been that kind to me. But consignment auctions HAVE! Almost all my machinery has been acquired DirtCheap! Just make sure you have a USE for your new STUFF. TOO MUCH STUFF is the reason for yard sales in the first place!

Paul Demetropoulos
02-11-2009, 11:40 PM
I think I have the same adj. pocket hole jig, if I'm not mistaken I got it from Leichtung Workshops, remember them? Got some nifty gadgets from that catalog as I recall.