PDA

View Full Version : raised panel router bits?

Jay Yoder
02-11-2009, 10:39 PM
I just picked up a Bosch rail and stile set at Lowe's on clearance. I did not pick up the raised panel cutter right beside it. My initial thought was i would like to get one with a back cutter, but now I am questioning not getting the Bosch raised panel cutter (also on clearance). My question is would there be any advantage to this versus another brand? I currently use mostly Whiteside bits and have been very happy with them! The Bosch cutter was abt $50 IIRC...

Brian Peters
02-12-2009, 7:07 AM
Go with the whiteside, those brand ones are usually pretty cheaply made with cheap tips too. Porter-Cable, bosch etc. Bosch makes really good jig saw blades and a decent blade they include with their SCMS but I'm not sure about the router bits. Reason I like whiteside is because they are rather cheap but well made with a fairly thick carbide tip that can be sharpened a few times if you use someone good.

scott spencer
02-12-2009, 7:35 AM
I would not hesitate even a little to choose Whiteside, Infinity, or Freud's 2+2 over the Bosch.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-12-2009, 7:45 AM
I have Bosch stile/rail bits. However, they were bought a very long time ago. I don't know if things changed today for Bosch. Mine were/are of excellent quality and still cut well after 70+ raised panel doors.

-Jeff :)

Steve Rozmiarek
02-12-2009, 10:01 AM
I have Bosch stile/rail bits. However, they were bought a very long time ago. I don't know if things changed today for Bosch. Mine were/are of excellent quality and still cut well after 70+ raised panel doors.

-Jeff :)

I agree 100%, they where also pretty darn expensive back then. These three are the highest quality bits that I have in my collection. Great carbide. The panel raiser is actually my favorite of the three.

frank shic
02-12-2009, 10:03 AM
i love the freud 2+2 raised panel cutter but make sure you get the right size for the desired thickness. if you want the panel to sit flush with the frame, get the one sized for 5/8". if you want the panel to be truly raised from the frame, get the one sized for 3/4". make sure you have a 3hp router to spin it.

Jay Yoder
02-12-2009, 5:43 PM
so for $50 you would pass it up? just curious...