PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Wood

Shane Johnstone
02-11-2009, 9:44 PM
Trying to joint some rouch 2" cedar, but it seems that my jointer doesn't like it much, Doesn't seem to take any off. Is there a secret, or just doesn't work?

Jim Finn
02-11-2009, 10:08 PM
I joint cedar all the time. Works well for me!

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
02-11-2009, 10:35 PM
I assume you have used your jointer before. Make sure that your outfeed table is set where you want it. I spent 30mins with a piece of oak untill I realized I had the outfeed table at the same heght as the infeed and I was getting no where fast.

I also have jointed cedar without problems.

Richard.

Shane Johnstone
02-12-2009, 7:34 PM
I have been jointing, cherry, oak, hickory, maple, with no problems, haven't touched the outfeed table, can drop the infeed to take off 3/16, to 5/16 doesn't matter, just does nothing!!

Michael Conner
02-12-2009, 9:17 PM
I don't really see how that is possible unless the infeed table is level with the top of the blades and level with the outfeed bed. If you think about it, you have spinning blades at the same height of the outfeed. If the infeed is lower, the wood has to hit the blade. Is it possible that the board is bowed enough that the leading edge is going over the blades and then as you press down on the board after it has crossed the blades it raises up the rest of the board such that it does not hit the blade? If so, turnign the board over should do the trick.

I'm really interested in what is going on here. Please post when you get it worked out to let us know what was going on.