PDA

View Full Version : I made it out of Kodiak, Alaska!

Bruce Page
07-06-2004, 3:09 PM
I flew up there last Monday for a quick 2 day equipment check-out and got fogged in. After spending 3 agonizing days at the Kodiak airport, I finally made it off the island and made it home yesterday afternoon. Needless to say, my holiday weekend stank! :mad: :mad:

On a positive note, my new Lenox carbide tipped BS blade came in! :D

I did have some spare time to take some pictures. The island home in the secluded bay was beautiful - I guess you wouldn't have to worry about loaning out too many tools!

Chris Padilla
07-06-2004, 3:50 PM
Awesome! Awesome you got your blade (got mine, too!) and awesome pictures! I must get up there some time in my life. Denali Nat'l park would be a main destination.

Bruce Page
07-06-2004, 4:12 PM
Chris, have you taken the plastic protector off yet? I'm wondering how hard it will be to get back on.

Dennis Peacock
07-06-2004, 4:27 PM
Hey Bruce..!!!

I've been to Kodiak Island before. The LOML and I spent 9 days there when a highschool buddy of mine lived up there and offered us to stay for free. He took me hunting over on Afognack Island and we took a float plane over to Afognack and it was REALLY pretty there. Even got to do a little salmon fishing while there. That part of the world is really pretty.!!!! :)

Jim Becker
07-06-2004, 5:54 PM
Chris, have you taken the plastic protector off yet? I'm wondering how hard it will be to get back on.
Nearly impossible. Don't bother. Just hang that sharp sucker up where you can't accidently brush up against it with the teeth towards a wooden or drywall wall! (DAMHIKT!!)

Nice pics...looks like a wonderful place to visit. Thanks for sharing!

Bruce Page
07-06-2004, 6:13 PM
Thanks Jim, I was afraid of that.
I wish I had that much free wall space! I will just have to be very careful when I coil & un-coil it.

Jim Becker
07-06-2004, 6:17 PM
Trust me...there is no way I'd even consider trying to coil that 1" carbide blade back up! Way to scary for me!

Bruce Page
07-06-2004, 6:25 PM
Trust me...there is no way I'd even consider trying to coil that 1" carbide blade back up! Way to scary for me!Jim, I coiled the 1" freebie without any problems, and I've coiled much larger blades back in my machine shop days. ;)

Chris Padilla
07-06-2004, 6:28 PM
Nope, I left it on since I'm not planning to use it right away. I'd love to see how they coiled it into 5 loops! I can do 3 (barely sometimes) but 5!? No way...and not with flesh-slicing carbide whipping around! Very scary!

Bruce Page
07-06-2004, 6:30 PM
Dennis, it is beautiful country, this was the first time up there in the summer. My previous trips up there have always been in the winter and that has its own beauty. The green of summer is almost overwhelming - especially for someone that lives in the middle of a desert. :eek:

Bruce Page
07-06-2004, 6:38 PM
Nope, I left it on since I'm not planning to use it right away. I'd love to see how they coiled it into 5 loops! I can do 3 (barely sometimes) but 5!? No way...and not with flesh-slicing carbide whipping around! Very scary!Chris, The only time you need 5 coils is when the blade is really long or you're trying to use a smaller box for shipping. A 5 coil is not that much harder to do than a 3 coil.

Tyler Howell
07-06-2004, 7:05 PM
Beautiful Bruce, Working on a job up that way.;)

Chris Padilla
07-06-2004, 9:11 PM
Bruce, my blades are 168" long and 3 loops is good enough for me. The thicker blades aren't bad to fold but I had a helluva time trying to get my 1/8" thick into 3 loops. I think it is harder to control it with so little material so you have to really dig your thumbs into to control. I eventually got but it took some patience and time! :)

Bruce Page
07-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Bruce, my blades are 168" long and 3 loops is good enough for me. The thicker blades aren't bad to fold but I had a helluva time trying to get my 1/8" thick into 3 loops. I think it is harder to control it with so little material so you have to really dig your thumbs into to control. I eventually got but it took some patience and time! :)
Chris, I use the one handed, inside-out method - thumbs aren't required. :rolleyes: :D

You do wear gloves, right?

Chris Padilla
07-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Chris, I use the one handed, inside-out method - thumbs aren't required. :rolleyes: :D

You do wear gloves, right?Well, I'm still learning to fold these BS blades...fun times! :rolleyes:

For the larger blades, I use gloves and folding them goes fairly easily. For the smaller ones, I tossed my gloves in frustration. I tell you it took a grand total of probably an hour to get the 1/8" blade to fold properly and I tried it over 3 days. I almost got to the point of designing a sort of "tie rack" but for BS blades just so I wouldn't have to deal with folding the suckers! :eek:

However, I persevered and Lonnie Bird's BS book finally showed me a method that worked! :D

Dan Mages
07-07-2004, 11:28 AM
You are complaining that you were stuck up in that beautiful country?!!? I'd love a chance to go up there!!! Maybe some day....

Dan

Bruce Page
07-08-2004, 3:55 PM
You are complaining that you were stuck up in that beautiful country?!!? I'd love a chance to go up there!!! Maybe some day....

DanDan, spending almost 3 full days at the Kodiak airport is not my idea of fun. :(
The scenery is beautiful, but getting on & off the island is too weather dependent.

Rich Konopka
07-08-2004, 5:35 PM
Dan, spending almost 3 full days at the Kodiak airport is not my idea of fun. :(
The scenery is beautiful, but getting on & off the island is too weather dependent.
Bruce:

Speaking from experience of travelling by air it could be worse. You could be stranded in O'Hare for 3 days. I hope you get home safe.

Be well !!