PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat New Bandsaw

Brian Peters
02-11-2009, 8:29 PM
Just picked up a grizzly g0555x 14" bandsaw from a nice guy on ebay. Pics attached. Never been a fan of grizzly but this saw has had rave reviews, even with a used blade and little setup it cuts like butter. Came with carter bearing guides more than 6 blades, riser block and mobile base.

On a side note even shimmed to the floor so it can't rock it has a lot of vibration at the table. I don't think it affects the cut much but it certainly isn't helping. Any creekers that have this bandsaw change the pulleys so you could use a twist link belt? Took all the vibration away from my jointer hoping it might do the same for this saw.

Thanks.

Michael Wildt
02-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Very nice. Congrats.

Michael

brett gallmeyer
02-11-2009, 10:13 PM
not sure about the link belt... i have the same bandsaw and i love it also! I thought about the vbelt as mine has vibrations also. I"m looking forward to someone answereing this question.

Ray Dockrey
02-11-2009, 10:16 PM
I know you said thay you shimmed it so it doesn't rock but is it level? I have the G0555 and after leveling it I have no vibration whatsoever. I did at first but leveling it was the key.

Perry Underwood
02-12-2009, 2:02 AM
You might want to check the tension on the belt. I've read that vibration may be caused by a belt that is tensioned too much. The manual will give you an idea of the proper tension.

Dewey Torres
02-12-2009, 2:04 AM
Congrats on your new saw. This model looks remarkably like my Powermatic. She should serve you well.:)

James Carmichael
02-12-2009, 7:58 AM
Congrats on the new saw.

I'm not familiar with the Griz, but I use link belts and have never heard of having change out pulleys to use them. Some people switch to machined pulleys along with the link belt to reduce vibration, but it is not normally required.

Prashun Patel
02-12-2009, 8:33 AM
I love mine (the 0555 - not the X), though. Hope you changed your blade. When I got mine, it was shipping with a blade that couldn't cut a curve tighter than a straight line.

I haven't had vibration probs with it.

Jeff Mohr
02-12-2009, 9:34 AM
I love mine (the 0555 - not the X), though. Hope you changed your blade. When I got mine, it was shipping with a blade that couldn't cut a curve tighter than a straight line.

I haven't had vibration probs with it.

Yeah...the blade sent on the machine is good for nothing but frustration!!!

Great machine, though.....I've had mine for a few months and wish I could get to the shop to do more with it! Time.......just ain't enough of it.

Brian Peters
02-13-2009, 9:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. I got it more secure and played with the tension doesn't seem to bad now. I thought the serpentine belts were pretty good anyways, better than the vpulleys.

Brad Wood
02-14-2009, 10:40 AM
On a side note even shimmed to the floor so it can't rock it has a lot of vibration at the table. I don't think it affects the cut much but it certainly isn't helping. Any creekers that have this bandsaw change the pulleys so you could use a twist link belt? Took all the vibration away from my jointer hoping it might do the same for this saw.

Thanks.

but I use link belts and have never heard of having change out pulleys to use them

Nobody seems to really have answered the link belt question. I'm not familiar with the type of pulley this BS has. If it is a typical v groove, I think you can just change to the link, no?

as far as never heard of having to change pulley's to use link belts - I did on my table saw. My saw had a flat multi groove type pully (its a higher end Craftsman - I know most of you guys don't like Craftsman for power tools, but its a decent saw and it is better than nothing).
Anyway, spent something like 20 bucks for a pulley set, put the link belt on, was like a different saw.
Seems like if the Grizz doesn't have the v type pulley, you should be able to switch them out.