PDA

View Full Version : Jws-35x5-1

Mark Bolton
02-11-2009, 7:53 PM
Just thought I would throw this out to the group,

We are planning on ordering this shaper for our shop. In all the research we have done it seems like the best shaper in its class and price point. Its a bit more than we wanted to spend but anything lower seems well.... and we are not in a position to buy a 5K industrial shaper.

I have looked at any piece of equipment in this price range we can find, including looking for used for about 2 months. I have not looked at, nor am I interested in, any grizzly equipment.

We would be interested in any input,
Thanks,
Mark

Peter Quinn
02-11-2009, 9:06 PM
Been looking at that one myself, haven't gone to see one in person yet. I keep wondering why they would sell a 5HP shaper that size with a 3/4" spindle and sell the 1 1/4" spindle as an option? Looks to be around $130 for the bigger spindle. Otherwise it seems like a solid design and well featured. I think when the time comes for me I'm leaning more towards the PM2700.

Mark Bolton
02-11-2009, 9:11 PM
Thought the same thing, then I found this:
http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jetjws35xrvu.html

It states that it comes with the 1 1/4" and the others are the options. I am looking into this as we speak.

The killer with the PM (for us) is that this is already pushing our budget considering allowing for tooling and a feeder. Jumping to 3199 for the PM chews up another 800 bucks that could be allocated to these purchases.

Even if the 1 1/4" spindle has to be purchased, it still leaves 650 for tooling.

Mark

Mark Bolton
02-11-2009, 9:15 PM
As a side note, Etool has the 1 1/4" spindle listed at 66.67

Mark

Mark Bolton
02-11-2009, 9:27 PM
You got me crossing my t's and dotting my i's. The PM actually seems a bit lesser to me in that it is only a 2 speed machine where the Jet is 4. The only real thing I would like to see on the Jet is the DRO. The PM also boasts dual DC ports and the integrated casters, neither of which are important to me.

The DRO sure would be nice though. The integrals of the two machines (belt tensioning and spindle clamp) look identical as do the fences.

Even with purchasing the 1 1/4" spindle I am still leaning to the Jet.

Mark

Mark Bolton
02-11-2009, 9:34 PM
http://content.wmhtoolgroup.com/whitepapers/708323_whitepaper.pdf

More on the 1 1/4" collet being standard.

Mark

Mark Bolton
02-11-2009, 9:39 PM
collet = spindle, got ordering the router collets in my head.

Mark

Jay Brewer
02-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi Mark, no help of the model your looking at. I have an older Jet 2 hp that I bought used and is built very well. I also have the Powermatic 5 hp 2700. It is a great shaper, I bought it for $2600. It pays to shop around different vendors. It stays set up with panel raiser and back cutter.The DRO is very accurate and the dual dust port definitely help keep the cabinet clean. For the life of me I dont know why they made the Jet 4 speed and the Powermatic 2 speeds, seems backwards to me.

I dont think you will go wrong with the Jet or Powermatic, good luck with your decision