PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Progress **Pics**

Jim Ketron
07-06-2004, 1:56 PM
Hello Everyone started my new shop 7/3/04 My shop is not a large one but its better than the one car garage that I was in. I was running out of room and could only use one tool at a time. it was taking the fun out of woodworking. The wife told me to build a shop and the place I have to build it limits me to a 20x24 shop.Here are a few days work. The 1st pic is the location I plan to use. I pland on leveling the lot myself TOO MUCH DIRT to move so I called in some help 2nd pic.3rd pic is me doing some final prep moving dirt to level it a little more.I have the concrete pilings poured and Im seting the floor joists today.Well break time is over got to get back to work!
Jim
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_001.sized.jpg
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_002.sized.jpg
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_004.sized.jpg

John Miliunas
07-06-2004, 2:08 PM
Gee, I'd love to see what you would call "a LOT of help"! :eek: Ah yes, nothing like the right tool(s) for the right job! Keep those progress pics coming! :cool:

Tyler Howell
07-06-2004, 2:16 PM
You Go Jim,

Tell us about the sight. Is that a retaining wall to hold back the hillside?? Interesting. That is a respectable shop size but never big enough congrats,;)

Frank Pellow
07-06-2004, 3:04 PM
Jim, re your statement that: "I called in some help". It looks like you called in a whole lot of help. :rolleyes: There is no way that I can get something that big into the spot that I am building my workshop. :(

I hope you are having fun. Are you?

Chris Padilla
07-06-2004, 3:32 PM
Hmm, Festool doesn't make backhoes and quads, do they? ;)

Nice red clay you've got there, Jim! Any drainage problems? should be a great site for the shop. Tell us more about your plans? What kind of access? What sort of doors, what style of shop (roof?)? ????? :D

Jim Ketron
07-06-2004, 3:33 PM
You Go Jim,

Tell us about the sight. Is that a retaining wall to hold back the hillside?? Interesting. That is a respectable shop size but never big enough congrats,;)
Hello Tyler
The spot is where the kids playground was. I built the retaining wall 8 yrs ago so the kids would have a more level spot to play in the back yard. They are older now and never use it anymore, so thats were I decided to put the new shop!
The wall is three blocks high and filled solid to the footings.
boy its hot today I have had to take several breaks:cool:
well breaktime is over back at it!
Jim

Jim Ketron
07-06-2004, 3:49 PM
Hmm, Festool doesn't make backhoes and quads, do they? ;)

Nice red clay you've got there, Jim! Any drainage problems? should be a great site for the shop. Tell us more about your plans? What kind of access? What sort of doors, what style of shop (roof?)? ????? :D

Hello Chris
That clay packs so tight the water just runs right off!
It will have a 8' roll up garage door with a steel side door on the side that the front bucket of the backhoe was on
I think I will put rafters on to save some room in the middle of the shop they will have one brace in the middle about half way up the rafter should give me about 10' hight in the middle. Im using 8' walls on the sides. The windows, I will have two facing south, two facing west the doors are on the east side and I will not have much room for a window there. the north side has a bunch of trees and a bank on it I will not get much light from it so no windows on the north.
Thanks
Jim

Chris Padilla
07-06-2004, 3:52 PM
Sounds good...electrical? plumbing? more, more, more! :D We are insatiable for new shops...we want to help you design it! :D

Any plans for a wood floor? It'll go easier on your legs over time....

Dennis Peacock
07-06-2004, 4:46 PM
Jim,

Congrats on the beginnings of a new dedicated shop.!!!! I know you are excited and I'm excited for ya.!!! May everything go smoothly and as you had hoped......even under budget.! Wait....is that possible? Under budget? Nah! Can't ever happen! or can it.!!! :rolleyes:

Jim Ketron
07-06-2004, 5:18 PM
Sounds good...electrical? plumbing? more, more, more! :D We are insatiable for new shops...we want to help you design it! :D

Any plans for a wood floor? It'll go easier on your legs over time....
I plan on runing electrical from the house and a sub pannel in the shop no plumbing Its not far from the house and it will take up valuable space that I need.
Yes a wood floor hope to have the joists set and get some insulation and the ply on tonight!
Jim

Jim Ketron
07-06-2004, 5:22 PM
Jim, re your statement that: "I called in some help". It looks like you called in a whole lot of help. :rolleyes: There is no way that I can get something that big into the spot that I am building my workshop. :(

I hope you are having fun. Are you?
Frank
Yes I Love to do projects like this! I just love to build things of all sorts wood or metal.(but it is awfull hot today)
Jim

Tyler Howell
07-06-2004, 5:24 PM
Hello Tyler
The spot is where the kids playground was. I built the retaining wall 8 yrs ago so the kids would have a more level spot to play in the back yard. They are older now and never use it anymore, so thats were I decided to put the new shop!
The wall is three blocks high and filled solid to the footings.
boy its hot today I have had to take several breaks:cool:
well breaktime is over back at it!
Jim
Good planning Jim you knew that was shop space all along! You sly devil use the kids as an excuse:p Pace yourself now, lots of water.;)

Jim Ketron
07-06-2004, 8:33 PM
I got the floor joists set and now to add a few blocks for a little extra support and some flashing on the concrete and blocks.
Im going to put plastic on the bottom of the joists and then 19r insulation, hope to get My plywood and studs tomorrow and get some of them up.
Jim

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_008.sized.jpg
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_010.sized.jpg

Jack Hogoboom
07-06-2004, 9:17 PM
Whoa, that's a lot of work for one day in the hot Virginia sun!! I would've faded hours ago. You must really want that shop!!!

Jerry Olexa
07-06-2004, 10:05 PM
Jim looking very well Small thing but I did this on my cabin a few years ago: I used Exterior grade ply 3/4 inch for the floor sheathing. Costs a little more than conventional CDX or others but good insurance against the elements while you are building and not wanting to tarp the whole deck each night. Also, plan ahead on your wiring. Now would be a good time to fish wires underneath while you still have access. I also insulated and sealed my platform underneath as it was a little higher than yours and exposed. Looking great!! I envy you. Building a SHOP is EXCITING!! Keep us advised!! Jerry

Jim Becker
07-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Gonna' be awesome, Jim. Nice fast start, too.

Frank Pellow
07-06-2004, 11:00 PM
I got the floor joists set and now to add a few blocks for a little extra support and some flashing on the concrete and blocks.
Im going to put plastic on the bottom of the joists and then 19r insulation, hope to get My plywood and studs tomorrow and get some of them up.
Jim

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_008.sized.jpg
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_010.sized.jpg

That does not look like pressure treated wood on the joists. If I am correct, why not?

Jim Ketron
07-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Frank Im puting plastic on the bottom of the joists and I have Flashing where the wood contacts the concrete and plastic on the ground for a vapor barrier I have talked to several people about this and they said it would be fine including the building inspector. I have worked on a bunch of homes doing plumbing on the side, in crawl spaces that has been constructed in this manner yet most have pressure treated lumber on top of block with flashing underneath but a lot of older homes do not have pressure treated lumber and they are just fine. I plan on sealing around the sides, under the building with vents just like a crawlspace.

Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
07-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Jim, you seem to be making good progress! I'll bet by now your jaw is really aching from smiling so much! :rolleyes: Congrats! :D

Tyler Howell
07-07-2004, 7:01 AM
This guy is cooking, Ahhh the power of youth and dedication. Go Jim Go!;)

John Miliunas
07-07-2004, 8:34 AM
This guy is cooking, Ahhh the power of youth and dedication. Go Jim Go!;)

Aw heck, I ain't no youngin', but I coulda' got that much done in the same amount of time! :) OK, so I'd be laid up for the following week, but.... :rolleyes: Yup, you're cookin' with gas there, Jim! :cool:

Jim Ketron
07-07-2004, 10:45 PM
I have no pics today
I got the plastic on the bottom of the joists and insulation in the floor and a some of the plywood down
I didn't get to work on it much today I had to take the wife to the Dr.
I should not have anything to hold me up for the next 2 days Hope to get the floor down and some of the walls up.
Jim

John Olson
07-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Boy I wish I could get a shop in the back yard. I have the room, but do not want the extra taxes it would cost me. I am retired and intent to stay that way, so it's the garage for me. Grate job Jim. I will dream through you.

Jim Ketron
07-08-2004, 4:46 PM
I have my floor down and have my 2x4s going to get the exterior plywood today
hope to get started on the walls tonight.
Jim

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop.sized.jpg

Jim Becker
07-08-2004, 4:53 PM
Great progress, Jim. Are you doing a "double layer" floor for stiffness under the heavy machinery? (plywood or strip floor?) 'Just curious...

Chris Padilla
07-08-2004, 5:21 PM
Jim,

What will be 2x6 for framing and what will be 2x4 for framing? I'm big on 2x6 for load-bearing walls and exterior walls--you can pack more insulation in them as well. My personal choice of course. I'm really enjoying watching you progress through the stages. Thanks so much for keeping us up-to-date.

I am going through a garage gut right now and I plan to take pics and post as well. Not quite as exciting as your project, however! :)

Jim Ketron
07-08-2004, 6:03 PM
Great progress, Jim. Are you doing a "double layer" floor for stiffness under the heavy machinery? (plywood or strip floor?) 'Just curious...
Thanks Jim thats a good idea!
For now its just a single layer but I can always add another layer later
Jim

Jim Ketron
07-08-2004, 6:05 PM
Jim,

What will be 2x6 for framing and what will be 2x4 for framing? I'm big on 2x6 for load-bearing walls and exterior walls--you can pack more insulation in them as well. My personal choice of course. I'm really enjoying watching you progress through the stages. Thanks so much for keeping us up-to-date.

I am going through a garage gut right now and I plan to take pics and post as well. Not quite as exciting as your project, however! :)
Chris it will all be 2x4 walls trying to keep my cost down.
Jim

Jim Becker
07-08-2004, 6:21 PM
Jim
Jim, if you have a Lumber Liquidators or similar nearby, you sometimes can get oak strip flooring "dirt cheap"...and unfinished is even better. It makes a wonderful shop floor that is strong, resilient and comfortable to work on. If it were an option for my shop, I'd do it in a "second"!

Chris Padilla
07-08-2004, 6:28 PM
Jim
Jim,

Perfectly respectable. My garage walls are all 2x4 much to my chagrin but at least the rafters are all 2x6. I also literally have a tree (large beam) spanning its width. I think it is 5" x 12" x 24' long!

As it turns out, I will need to furr out the 2x4 wall to bury some ugly gas line (pipes, wiring on the outside of walls is a pet pieve of mine that I can't seem to shake) on one wall. Most economical way for me to do that is to purchase 2x6s and rip them down to the correct size as opposed to 2x4s.

Jim Ketron
07-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Boy another scorcher today :eek: I could only work a few hrs at a time :mad: I got one wall up today and another wall cut out. I have a few places to go in the morning so I wont get to work on it until about 12 or 1 oclock. hope to get all the walls up by Sun

Jim
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_011.jpg

Bruce Page
07-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Your shop is looking great Jim! That is going to be one sweet space when you get it done. At your current rate that should be next weekend right? :D

John Miliunas
07-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Good golly...You should starting signing on as, Jim "Turbo" Ketron! :eek: You're really flyin' on that project! I think I'd be up to about the concrete pads by now! :o Great job. Keep the progress reports/pics coming! :cool:

Jim Ketron
07-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Thanks Bruce I hope to have it under roof by next weekend. I have been off all week but its back to work on Mon :( so I will only be able to work on it after work.

John LMAO :D You are a HOOT!
Jim

Todd Burch
07-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Man Jim! Can you build entertainment centers this fast??!!! Todd

Jim Ketron
07-09-2004, 10:47 PM
Man Jim! Can you built entertainment centers this fast??!!! Todd
It would definatly not look as good as yours especialy with 2x4s. LOL
Todd I was hoping to have more done but the heat is getting to me. :cool:
Record highs. WHEW!!!
In one of my pics you can see a fan. And that don't help much! Only if you stand in front of it.
Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
07-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Jim, I came back home from the midwest 2 weeks ago to find my contractor had finished my new shop. I had a long list of "Honey-do's" to do this past weekend. I've been "batching" it for 2 weeks. Between work, "honey-do's", cleaning house, laundry and meals I haven't been able to begin the caulking, painting, wiring or finishing the interior. At the rate you're going, you'll be done before I am! Congrats and go "TIGER"! :D

Jerry Olexa
07-09-2004, 11:31 PM
Great and FAST work!! Looks Good! Jerry

Frank Pellow
07-10-2004, 7:02 AM
At your rapid pace and my ploding pace, you are soon going to overtake me.

And ( so far :) ), I have not had heat to contend with -only rain (and snow).

Jim Ketron
07-10-2004, 5:53 PM
Well here is what I have got done today I got to work on it around 1:30
The second wall is up and 2 more to go
I hear thunder in the background:mad: hope it holds off I would like to get most of the back wall up tonight!:confused:
Jim
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_012.jpg

Jeff Skory
07-10-2004, 7:31 PM
Jim,

I am absolutely amazed. I take it you may have done this type of building once or twice before. :D

Jim Ketron
07-10-2004, 9:11 PM
Jeff I did build a 12x16 yard barn about 5 yrs ago and several decks. but this is the biggest project I have done.

I got about 1/3 of the back wall up tonight. back at it in the morning!
Jim

Brad Hammond
07-11-2004, 12:45 AM
go jim go!!!! you will love that subfloor!!
great job!

Kelly C. Hanna
07-11-2004, 9:43 AM
Looking good Jim! I love the red clay! We have black clay here and I hate it.

Congrats on the new shop progress, you're going to have a nice one!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-11-2004, 3:37 PM
Jim.....Your work is looking good! At this rate, you'll be finishing your first project in the your new shop before Mark S. quits giving Tyler a hard time about his PM66! Full Steam Ahead!

Jim Ketron
07-11-2004, 5:13 PM
Jim.....Your work is looking good! At this rate, you'll be finishing your first project in the your new shop before Mark S. quits giving Tyler a hard time about his PM66! Full Steam Ahead!
LOL Ken
Kinda slow today hot one min sprinkling rain the next almost got the back wall up hope to get the front wall up tonight. the bed magnet got me this morning! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzz!
Jim

Jim Ketron
07-11-2004, 6:09 PM
Hello everyone just finished up the back wall of the new shop
Now to do the front It will have a 7x8 garage door and a 36" steel door I will post latter if I get most of it up.

Hope I can work on it this week to get some of the rafters up to get it under roof next weekend!
Then set the windows and doors and trim on the corners and on the eaves and the soffit. WHEW!!
Jim

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_014.sized.jpg

Rich Konopka
07-11-2004, 6:31 PM
Wow !! In one week? Outstanding work !!

Jim Becker
07-11-2004, 7:52 PM
Jim, consider using a double, outward opening insulated steel door rather than the garage door. The issue with the latter is that when you have it open during nice weather, it blocks your lights and anything else that would normally be in that space overhead. I have two of these units in my shop (picture below)and they made all the difference in the world for usabilty and since they also have insulated glass windows, they add to the natural light in the shop. In addition to the dead bolt, they are "pinned" into the header and floor for additional security. The hinges are special security versions made especially for out-opening applications...opening in that direction insures that you don't block access to a tool when the doors are open. The opening, at 6' wide and not-quite 7' tall is not all that different than a small garage door and will allow access for materials, etc. Since your building is framed out the way it is, it really can't be converted to a garage anyway, so this kind of door makes more sense. The obvious alternative is a roll-up door, but that might be more expensive.

Bob_Hammond
07-11-2004, 9:34 PM
Tell the truth, you've got a crew of 8 helping, don't you!

Bob

ps As a user of a garage shop I would agree with Jim about garage doors not being the best. As he said, when open in nice weather they cover the lights, and make it so that you can't store anything above them

Chris Padilla
07-11-2004, 9:50 PM
Agree on traditional sectional garage doors. They have their place on homes--i.e. the garage. However, they aren't the best for a dedicated shop...they take up ceiling space when opened and the rails supporting them can get in the way as well.

Since you are savng a few bucks here and there, Jim, you might put the savings into outward swinging doors...assuming they cost more to purchase and possibly install.

Jim Ketron
07-11-2004, 11:05 PM
Jim, consider using a double, outward opening insulated steel door rather than the garage door. The issue with the latter is that when you have it open during nice weather, it blocks your lights and anything else that would normally be in that space overhead. I have two of these units in my shop (picture below)and they made all the difference in the world for usabilty and since they also have insulated glass windows, they add to the natural light in the shop. In addition to the dead bolt, they are "pinned" into the header and floor for additional security. The hinges are special security versions made especially for out-opening applications...opening in that direction insures that you don't block access to a tool when the doors are open. The opening, at 6' wide and not-quite 7' tall is not all that different than a small garage door and will allow access for materials, etc. Since your building is framed out the way it is, it really can't be converted to a garage anyway, so this kind of door makes more sense. The obvious alternative is a roll-up door, but that might be more expensive.Thanks Jim I will look into it I will have to see how much $ they are. I considerd building my own doors to save some $. I agree with you guys and
I might just build my own doors from wood and use some steel to fab up a way to lock it to be more secure.
Jim

Jim Ketron
07-11-2004, 11:13 PM
[QUOTE=Bob_Hammond]Tell the truth, you've got a crew of 8 helping, don't you!

Bob

I actually have 3 Me Myself and I:D
I wish I had some help I have used my Wife and my kids a few times to help steady the wall while I nailed the braces on.

Frank Pellow
07-11-2004, 11:40 PM
I agree about using outward opening double doors rather than garage doors. I built my own (insulated) doors for my new shop and am certain that I will be happy with them.

larry merlau
07-12-2004, 12:23 PM
I agree about using outward opening double doors rather than garage doors. I built my own (insulated) doors for my new shop and am certain that I will be happy with them.

frank i would like to know how you made your doors, i now have a garage door and liked the idea jim mentioned but could easily make my own like you have. i had been contemplating elimanting the garge door and the heat factor that went with it. and some more light never hurts either thanks for any ideas larry

Douglas Robinson
07-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Where is Weber City, VA? I live in Fairfax, VA and if it isn't too far, migt be willing to lend a hand.

Doug

John Gregory
07-12-2004, 1:05 PM
We built our shop 2 years ago. Things I am glad I did:
10 foot ceilings.
A/C and heat
ski lights and one window.
6 two tube cold weather 8' fluorescent lights
When I ran the electrical I put in an empty 3/4" conduit for phone/data/cable tv.
Wood storage.

Just some things to think about if you haven't already

John

Jim Ketron
07-12-2004, 4:16 PM
Where is Weber City, VA? I live in Fairfax, VA and if it isn't too far, migt be willing to lend a hand.

Doug
Thanks for the offer but Weber city is in Scott co on the opposite side of Va. its about 20 miles from Bristol International raceway. And about a 1/2 mile from Kingsport Tn.
Jim

Jim Ketron
07-12-2004, 8:54 PM
Well I got the front wall framed up did not get to sheet it though:( Rain
As you can see in the pic little rain drops. This pic is from my back deck got to try and get the lumber for my rafters
Jim

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_015.sized.jpg

Frank Pellow
07-12-2004, 10:37 PM
frank i would like to know how you made your doors, i now have a garage door and liked the idea jim mentioned but could easily make my own like you have. i had been contemplating elimanting the garge door and the heat factor that went with it. and some more light never hurts either thanks for any ideas larry

I will take some pictures then will describe the design in a new thread tomorrow or the next day.

Fred Voorhees
07-13-2004, 8:11 AM
We built our shop 2 years ago. Things I am glad I did:
6 two tube cold weather 8' fluorescent lights

John - I did the same thing. I don't continually heat my shop so in the winter when I first go up in there, the lights need to start up in the cold, sometimes frigid temps. The cold weather florescent fixtures solve the problem of slow starting lights. It was a small extra price to pay for that luxury.

Jim Ketron
07-14-2004, 6:16 PM
Going to start on cutting out my rafters tonight.
I think I will draw the layout lines on the shop floor and cut out 2 to see how they will fit and use them for templates. Anyone have a method they like to use to cut rafters?
Hope to start setting them thur or fri and get it under roof by sun.
Jim

Jerry Olexa
07-14-2004, 10:28 PM
Agree w your approach on rafters , Cut 2 best u can, then adjust and make a template. Rest shouls be easy if ridgeboard is level and true.

Jim Ketron
07-17-2004, 4:41 PM
Hello everyone have not worked on the shop in a few days.
got all the rafters up and it started to rain:mad: still have to put my braces in and work on the eaves. Then put down the ply on the roof hope to get the felt and start on some shingles by sun. If I don't get a rain delay!
hope to get some more done tonight!
Jim

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_016.sized.jpg

John Miliunas
07-17-2004, 11:09 PM
Dang it, Jim! Rain or no rain, you're really cruisin' on that! :D I *might* have most of the floor done by now! OK, maybe.... :rolleyes: Thanks for the update and good luck with the weather! :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
07-17-2004, 11:14 PM
You are really smoking Jim! Looks good! Keep it up!

Jerry Olexa
07-17-2004, 11:19 PM
Small tip: consider cross ties or Tie beams to form an "A" and join your rafters.Looks like you won't have ceiling joist so for insurance and to prevent spreading, put in a few cross ties. They can be higher up to give you overhead space and/or used for storage. Your project looks good and you sure are FAST!! Jerry

Terry Hatfield
07-17-2004, 11:38 PM
JIm,

WOW!!! Great progress. The shop is looking super good!!! Hope the rain stays away for you.

Terry

Jim Becker
07-18-2004, 8:33 AM
That's going to be a nice big, open space, Jim! Nice job on those rafters...much better than I'd ever do...sheesh!

Jim Ketron
07-18-2004, 3:39 PM
Small tip: consider cross ties or Tie beams to form an "A" and join your rafters.Looks like you won't have ceiling joist so for insurance and to prevent spreading, put in a few cross ties. They can be higher up to give you overhead space and/or used for storage. Your project looks good and you sure are FAST!! Jerry
Thanks Jerry for the tip I have already have done that. it will give me a 10' ceiling 4' off the wall.
Heres a pic of my progress so far today. 7/18/04
Jim
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_017.sized.jpg

Frank Pellow
07-18-2004, 4:25 PM
Great progress.

With your speed and my lack of same, it is obvious why I only post my progress once a week, whereas you can post yours every day or so.

Jim Ketron
07-20-2004, 11:19 PM
Worked til dark I got the roof on and the felt down!:D
I bet it don't rain for days now!:rolleyes:
time to get the shingles and start putting them down
windows and the 36" door. Im going to take Jim's advice and I will build two doors to go on the 8' opening that swing out.
also work on the soffit and finish putting up the sheeting on the out side caulk it and paint. Oh almost forgot the trim boards
then on to play the sparktrician!:eek:
Jim
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_018.sized.jpg

John Miliunas
07-20-2004, 11:26 PM
Jim, you're just cookin' on that shop! :D Man, could I *PLEASE* have just about 10% of YOUR energy?! :eek: Simply awesome! Keep up the great work. You'll be constructing projects INSIDE your shop in no time! :)

Jim Becker
07-21-2004, 8:08 AM
Jim, when you make your doors, be sure to get "security hinges" made specifically for outward opening applications. These hinges have pins that cannot be removed which is important since the pins are on the outside of the building.

Nice job on that new shop! This pictorial has been great. Thanks in advance for keeping it going.

Byron Trantham
07-21-2004, 8:26 AM
Man, even after you're done with that great shop, you'll have tons of fun thing to do. You know, like deciding just "how far to I want walk from this to that that one?" Maybe I need to place them closer together, etc. Do I hang curtains?..... Do I let SWMBO have one of the keys to the door? Decisions, decisions, decisions!!:D :D :D

Frank Pellow
07-21-2004, 8:30 AM
Jim, when you make your doors, be sure to get "security hinges" made specifically for outward opening applications. These hinges have pins that cannot be removed which is important since the pins are on the outside of the building.

Nice job on that new shop! This pictorial has been great. Thanks in advance for keeping it going.

I don't think that you need to go to go to the extra expense in order to get this security. I am simply using bolt with no grip on the outside in order to obtain the same level of security.

Jim Becker
07-21-2004, 8:45 AM
I don't think that you need to go to go to the extra expense in order to get this security. I am simply using bolt with no grip on the outside in order to obtain the same level of security.
If you used "regular" hinges, someone can pry the pin out and remove the door no matter how you are locking it in the middle. This is not a locking situation...it's a physical-fastening-the-door-to-the-shop situation. Security hinges for outward opening do cost a little more, but not an excessive amount...the pin is just welded in place.

Frank Pellow
07-21-2004, 9:34 AM
If you used "regular" hinges, someone can pry the pin out and remove the door no matter how you are locking it in the middle. This is not a locking situation...it's a physical-fastening-the-door-to-the-shop situation. Security hinges for outward opening do cost a little more, but not an excessive amount...the pin is just welded in place.

Jim, I guess that I must have the type of hinges that you are talking about becuase the pins cannot be pried out. I was not aware that it was possible to get this type of nige with pryable pins.

Bart Leetch
07-21-2004, 9:43 AM
The shop is going up real fast, looks like you should be meeting your self coming & going. Looking good. :D :D :D

Jerry Heiser
07-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Hey, Jim, I'm planning on adding a 10 x 20 addition onto my shop. How 'bout stopping by and knocking it out for me? Shouldn't take you more than a couple evenings, three at the most! In all seriousness, you are doing a commendable job on your shop. Your energy and tenacity are to be admired (and envied). It would take me a sight longer to accomplish what you have in such a short time. How's that old saying go? "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!" It will probably take me as long or longer to do my addition. :o

I also cast my vote for swinging doors (in lieu of the overheads) for all of the same reasons. Keep up the good work (and the pictures) coming.
Jerry

Ken Fitzgerald
07-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Go Jim GO! You'll have that dude done before I can finish typing this response! :eek: Oh to be young and enthusiastic again! :D

Michael Stafford
07-21-2004, 4:28 PM
Jim, My shop is also 20x24. I have all my openings on the long walls with 3 windows on the back and french doors and a 7x8 garage door on the front. Everyone is right about using swing out doors rather than an overhead door. I suppose I could change it. I don't know what your climate is there but one thing I would recommend is a large whole house fan near the center of the shop and continuous eave venting. This combination keeps my shop tolerable and it is pretty hot here. You certainly are doing well and I'm sure you can hardly wait to get inside and get to the real fun work. Enjoy!! :D

Paul Downes
07-21-2004, 5:16 PM
Just a comment, If you are going to run your service in under the floor, you might consider running it in conduit and leaving some pull cords in it for future additional needs. I wouldn't run wires any other way with all the rodents and such that might think the insulation looks tasty. You might want to pull in some cat5 for a phone or something like that later, and it sure is eaiser if you have big enough conduit with pull cords installed. I've used poly bailing twine for this and it works fine. When I had a backhoe handy I ran new service to my barn and also buried a water line and a gas line in the same trench. I checked with the power company and made sure everything was done to code.

Paul Downes
07-21-2004, 5:20 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention, I use a braided poly rope that opens like a chinese finger to do the actual pulling. the twine is used to pull the rope through and the wires are inserted into the chinese finger and taped with electrical tape to secure.

Lou Morrissette
07-21-2004, 6:16 PM
Looking good Jim! It's realy exciting to see things taking shape. At the pace you're working, you'll have it up and running in a week.:D Hope everything goes well for ya.

good luck
Lou

Jim Ketron
07-26-2004, 5:34 PM
Hello everyone almost got all my shingles on this weekend all that is left is a few courses in the back and the ridge cap and install the dripedge on the sides I installed them already on the front and back( didn't want to bend it with the ladder). Slowly getting there!
Jim
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_019.sized.jpg

Jim Becker
07-26-2004, 5:42 PM
'Looking great, Jim. It's amazing how much a roof makes things really look like they are coming together. You're doing a great job on your shop.

Rich Konopka
07-26-2004, 5:48 PM
Wow !! You are cranking on that. What's up with the No Trespassing Sign? You have a couple of the neighborhood varmits lurking around the shop?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-26-2004, 7:05 PM
You're making great progress at a fantastic pace! Keep up the good work and the pics, too!

Jim Ketron
07-26-2004, 7:23 PM
Wow !! You are cranking on that. What's up with the No Trespassing Sign? You have a couple of the neighborhood varmits lurking around the shop?Yes I had the kids trampoline there and a swingset. One of the neighbors had some visitors and guess what ! one of them was jumping and broke their arm. I dont let anyone jump on it untill I talk to the parents first but I didn't know she was on it. So the Wife and I decided to take it down before anyone else got hurt. ( Fear of a LAWSUIT)
So I posted it untill I took it down. and then a few days later I started on the new shop so I decided to leave it up.(one of the reasons I got to build it there)
Jim

Jim Ketron
08-01-2004, 4:58 PM
Its break time while its raining :mad:
The roof is done since last post and I have the soffits done ready for some paint. Then hang the windows and do all the trim, and paint the exterior I will save the vinyl soffit for last.
trying to find a fast and cheap way to close in the bottom I already have some vents for it? any sug?
Jim
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_022.sized.jpg

Chris Padilla
08-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Hey Jim,

Great progress...your shop may be ready before mine! :)

Jim Becker
08-02-2004, 10:56 AM
That's really looking great, Jim. Keep up the good work!

Tyler Howell
08-02-2004, 11:23 AM
trying to find a fast and cheap way to close in the bottom I already have some vents for it? any sug?
Jim
Looking great Jim.

For the skirting the only thing I can think of that would meet your parameters would be preasure treated ply wood??? Saw some 6 year old buildings that had the preasure treated for there foundations up here in the frozen north. They were holding up real good.;)

Jerry Olexa
08-02-2004, 11:52 AM
Looks good Great Job! Be sure to vent the bottom enclosure. Jerry

Tom LaRussa
08-02-2004, 12:20 PM
JimHow about vinyl lattice? It's cheap at just under $24 per 4'x8' sheet, it never needs painting, and bugs don't eat it.

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=98707-81826-98707

Jim Ketron
08-02-2004, 3:43 PM
Jim
Looking great Jim.

For the skirting the only thing I can think of that would meet your parameters would be preasure treated ply wood??? Saw some 6 year old buildings that had the preasure treated for there foundations up here in the frozen north. They were holding up real good.;)
Good thinking Tyler I can paint it the same as the shop!
Jim

Jim Ketron
08-02-2004, 3:45 PM
How about vinyl lattice? It's cheap at just under $24 per 4'x8' sheet, it never needs painting, and bugs don't eat it.

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=98707-81826-98707
Thats a good idea too Augustus!
Decisions Decisions?
Jim

Joe Mioux
08-02-2004, 9:50 PM
Hi Jim

Your new shop is looking good. What are the dimensions. If you use vinyl lattice, you might want to staple some screen on it to keep little animals out. just a thought.

Best wishes

joe

Jim Ketron
08-02-2004, 9:53 PM
Hi Jim

Your new shop is looking good. What are the dimensions. If you use vinyl lattice, you might want to staple some screen on it to keep little animals out. just a thought.

Best wishes

joe
It's 20x24 Good idea on the screen!
Jim

Jim Ketron
08-08-2004, 9:31 PM
Hello Everyone
The soffits are done! it took a little longer than expected but I think it looks great I used vinyl soffit material
The windows are in and the trim is on
Still have to build the 3 doors one door for everyday use I'm thinking of putting in a plexiglass window in it (to see who's at the door:eek: ) and 2 swing out doors to get materials in and out.(As recomended by you guys):)
I will get the guttering up also
Jim
Look over the mess I need to clean up a little!:D
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_023.sized.jpg

Dick Parr
08-08-2004, 10:02 PM
Looking good Jim.

Jim Becker
08-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Now, that's really starting to look like a shop!! Get those doors in so you can start on the real fun stuff!!!

Kelly C. Hanna
08-09-2004, 7:18 AM
Nicely done!! Can't wait to see tools in there!

Dan Mages
08-09-2004, 8:22 AM
Looking good so far!!!

Dan

Tyler Howell
08-09-2004, 8:26 AM
Fastest carpenter in town! Do you contract out???

Looking good;)

Ken Fitzgerald
08-09-2004, 8:35 AM
Jim.....man you work so fast .......I'll bet you have to stop once in a while to let your tools cool down! :eek: :rolleyes: Great Job!

Chris Padilla
08-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Great progress, Jim. You may (sorry....WILL) be done before me and I had more or less a head start on you! :)

Get this: The HVAC plumber (the guy supposedly I am paying on the side to tidy up some gas lines for me before he installs the new HVAC) was supposed to show/call Saturday according to his boss. I come into work early as I usually do (6:30 am) and low and behold there is a message from Saturday from the plumber! Grrrrr!!! Why o' why did he call my work number??? Sigh....:(

Jim Becker
08-09-2004, 10:21 AM
I come into work early as I usually do (6:30 am) and low and behold there is a message from Saturday from the plumber! Grrrrr!!! Why o' why did he call my work number???
There's this handy telephony/messaging feature called..."outcalling". :D

Tom LaRussa
08-09-2004, 2:25 PM
Get this: The HVAC plumber (the guy supposedly I am paying on the side to tidy up some gas lines for me before he installs the new HVAC) was supposed to show/call Saturday according to his boss. I come into work early as I usually do (6:30 am) and low and behold there is a message from Saturday from the plumber! Grrrrr!!! Why o' why did he call my work number??? Sigh....:(
Chris,

I assume he also had your home number? If so, my guess is he didn't really feel like working on a Saturday, so he called your work number -- and NOT your home number -- in the hopes that he'd miss you. Then he could tell his boss, "Gee boss, I called him but he never returned my call." Thus safely off the hook, he was free to spend the day at Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Pac Bell Park, etc.

John Miliunas
08-09-2004, 2:54 PM
Hey Jim, you're kickin' some serious butt on that project! I wish the guy I hired to help out with our place were half as fast! Lookin' good! :) :cool:

Chris Padilla
08-09-2004, 3:07 PM
Finally got a hold o' the plumber...he's coming tomorrow morning. All we need is 15 minutes to chat and point and then he can come whenever he wants to do the work. COOL!! :D

Jim Becker
08-09-2004, 3:18 PM
Finally got a hold o' the plumber...he's coming tomorrow morning. All we need is 15 minutes to chat and point and then he can come whenever he wants to do the work.
You sure you don't want a definite time for him to do the work??? I'm thinking track record here... ;)

Chris Padilla
08-09-2004, 3:24 PM
Well, he needs to do the gas-line stuff "off the clock" and he needs to do the HVAC "on the clock" so I'm not worried. The two are kinda intermingled as the boss can get on him to do the big-money HVAC stuff once the "off the clock" stuff is out of the way.

Tyler Howell
08-09-2004, 3:35 PM
Much improved Avatar there Chris!;)

Chris Padilla
08-09-2004, 4:03 PM
I needed something to make me look better.... :D That pic is from a merry-go-round located at Pier 39 in San Francisco. Once she spied the ride, she had to get on it! :rolleyes: Who am I to argue? It was only $2 per person for 3 minutes! :eek:

Sorry for the off-thread, Jim! :p

Jim Ketron
08-09-2004, 5:24 PM
Thanks Men!
Im just working at my normal pace!
Thanks for all the helpfull advice!
Tyler, John you guys crack me up LOL!!!!:D
Jim

Jim Ketron
08-29-2004, 10:48 PM
Finaly the 100amp sub panel is in and Hot!!:D (thanks to my buddy thats an electrician) It was hot yesterday and I didn't start untill 8:30 pm and dug all my ditch with the trusty old shovel Untill it was finished 12:30 :rolleyes: Most all the electrical is done I need to run the wire for the TS, AC and the 220 wire for future TS, and the install the motion light for the outside:D :D . most of the outside is complete need to get my buddy to run my guttering on his machine. And later I will put somekind of underpinning then pour two concrete pads(when the dirt settles).:D
Now to put some insulation in and install the AC and it will be ready to work in haven't decided if I'm going to put my sheetrock in yet have to check the $$ funds!
Oh and I also installed some 1/2" pipe for future phone in my ditch.
Here is a pic of my buddy Mike the elec as we were getting ready to pull wire
and of the latest shop pic with the doors complete( it was almost dark sorry for the poor pic)
Jim
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_028.sized.jpg

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_029.sized.jpg

John Miliunas
08-29-2004, 11:05 PM
Finaly the 100amp sub panel is in and Hot!!:D (thanks to my buddy thats an electrician) It was hot yesterday and I didn't start untill 8:30 pm and dug all my ditch with the trusty old shovel Untill it was finished 12:30 :rolleyes:

Aw shucks, Jim. Wish I'd of known that! Coulda' sent down a whole BUNCH of moles we have over here to dig 'ya a cable run! :rolleyes: All's I can say is, you've certainly come a long way and have done a tremendous job in a short period of time! :) Things usually don't progress that fast around here, unless of course, certain things going in the WRONG direction! That usually happens pretty FAST! :mad: OK, now you're going to need to start shootin' pics on the inside of the joint! Knowing you, you'll be setting up for the long haul in just a couple weeks. Great going! :cool:

Jim Ketron
08-29-2004, 11:14 PM
Aw shucks, Jim. Wish I'd of known that! Coulda' sent down a whole BUNCH of moles we have over here to dig 'ya a cable run! :rolleyes: All's I can say is, you've certainly come a long way and have done a tremendous job in a short period of time! :) Things usually don't progress that fast around here, unless of course, certain things going in the WRONG direction! That usually happens pretty FAST! :mad: OK, now you're going to need to start shootin' pics on the inside of the joint! Knowing you, you'll be setting up for the long haul in just a couple weeks. Great going! :cool:
Thanks John
It looks like a tornado went through there. I will get some pics up in a few days when I get it cleand up ( before I get the tools in there)! and get the insulation in.
thanks for all the encouragement!!:D
Jim

Jerry Olexa
08-29-2004, 11:29 PM
Jim you really have done an outstanding job and in Quick, short time. You should be proud. Anxious to see it equipped and in action. Again, Terrific job!!

Dick Parr
08-30-2004, 12:37 AM
It really looks good Jim, very nice job.

Rich Konopka
08-30-2004, 8:06 AM
Jim, Great job !! The weather may be hot now but in a few months the chill we be upon us. Insulate and Drywall as soon as you can. The insulation will give you comfort and also saving on heating and cooling costs.

Jim Ketron
08-30-2004, 7:43 PM
Jim, Great job !! The weather may be hot now but in a few months the chill we be upon us. Insulate and Drywall as soon as you can. The insulation will give you comfort and also saving on heating and cooling costs.Thanks Rich
I will definitely put in my insulation .I will have to see how much $$ is left for the shop fund. Im going to add a room for the little ones on the way:D then if there is some left over then sheetrock the shop.:) I plan on making some furniture for them (crib, cradle, changing table/chest). that will come first!
Jim

JayStPeter
08-30-2004, 7:50 PM
Wow, that looks great. Quick question ... do you ever sleep? :D

Jay

Jim Ketron
08-30-2004, 8:02 PM
Wow, that looks great. Quick question ... do you ever sleep? :D

JaySometimes:D LOL! Here the last few weeks I have not got to work on it as much as I would like. mostly on the weekends.
Your post on Chris P thread made me laugh!!!
you guys make me blush! LOL
I can't wait to get in there 8 weeks and no woodworking! My TS and lathe are calling me!
Jim

Chris Padilla
08-30-2004, 8:19 PM
It is kinda fun working on our shops "together," Jim! :) I've got a lot more electrical done last weekend...need to take pics of that work.

I've also decided that I am going to put off the sheetrocking as long as possible in order to make sure I have everything where I need it 'cause once you button up those walls.... :D

Jim Ketron
08-30-2004, 8:35 PM
It is kinda fun working on our shops "together," Jim! :) I've got a lot more electrical done last weekend...need to take pics of that work.

I've also decided that I am going to put off the sheetrocking as long as possible in order to make sure I have everything where I need it 'cause once you button up those walls.... :D
I havent taken any pics of my shop inside yet. I will take a pics to mark where each wire is for future reference.
Yes I even thought about not finishing the sheetrock when I do hang it! (untill I make shure everything is where I want it). That way the screws are accessible for easy removal! I will paint it though.
Jim

Jim Ketron
09-02-2004, 5:52 PM
Hello everyone
Did some cleaning last night so heres some pics of the inside. the elec boxes that dose not have any covers on them is for the future 220 rec as you can see the lights are on and I have plenty of them 11. instaled my motion light outside the shop also
so for the long weekend projects
I'm going to put on some handels and hasps on the doors and locks. An electrician is giving me a AC/heater the type thats in hotel rooms if it works good I will be instaling that this weekend and I have another AC if it don't
Get my insulation in and set up shop:D :D :D
Let the sawdust fly
Jim

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_031.sized.jpg

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_030.sized.jpg
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_032.sized.jpg

Jim Becker
09-02-2004, 5:57 PM
Ah...nice virgin space just waiting for you to mold it into the shop of your dreams! Congratulations on the progress...it's looking great, Jim.

JayStPeter
09-02-2004, 5:58 PM
Nice job. You're a machine.

Jay

Tyler Howell
09-02-2004, 6:20 PM
Woh, Slow Down,:eek: Easy!:o I'm getting a nose bleed from the speed of your progress. You don't waste any time.

Fine job there Jim;)

Kelly C. Hanna
09-02-2004, 6:33 PM
Looks good inside Jim! I like the wiring, much neater than normal jobs I get to witness from time to time. Looks like you also have plenty of light...good job.

Rich Konopka
09-02-2004, 6:54 PM
Jim:

One word !!!

OUTSTANDING !!

Chris Padilla
09-02-2004, 7:17 PM
Man, that is just bloody sweet!! I can even tell the 10/3 (or /2) from 12/3 (or /2) from the pics! Gotta love that...excellent job, Jim.

What kinda lighting did you go with? T-8 or -12 ballasts?

I'm currently trying to figure out my lighting situation...even thinking to put in some spotlight/cans here and there but still not sure.

Dick Parr
09-02-2004, 7:57 PM
Way to go Jim, it's looking good!

Jim Ketron
09-02-2004, 8:21 PM
Man, that is just bloody sweet!! I can even tell the 10/3 (or /2) from 12/3 (or /2) from the pics! Gotta love that...excellent job, Jim.

What kinda lighting did you go with? T-8 or -12 ballasts?

I'm currently trying to figure out my lighting situation...even thinking to put in some spotlight/cans here and there but still not sure.
Thanks Everyone!
Chris I went with T-12 the T-8 are nice and a lot brighter but I was also looking at the $ I could buy 3 T-12 for what 1 T-8 was so I loaded up the shop with T-12 lights and it is well lit! I have had the lights on for a few weeks with a ex cord so I could work at night and I didn't have any bad shadows. But I may add some spot lights as needed
The lights I purchased has 5' cords on them and if the need be I can move them around.
The wire I ran was 12/2 and 10/3
I also have 3 circuits for my rec and they rotate like this 1-2-3-1-2-3 and so on. As of now I have a portable DC and if I'm using a tool and the DC they will be on diff circuits thats why I wired them up like this insted of one circuit on each wall! It did use a little more wire to do it that way but I think it's a good idea! the lights are on two switches 4 on one and 7 on the other so I can use them as light is needed and one switch in a diff box above for the outside motion light (the middle pic)
Thanks
Jim

Michael Stafford
09-02-2004, 8:22 PM
You do quality work. Plenty of light, good power distibution, excellent cross ventilation. A pot belly stove, refrigerator and an easy chair and you'll have the workshop of solitude you may need after the twins arrive. When my shop got to that stage I had visions of Norm's shop dancing in my head. Enjoy!

Sparky Paessler
09-02-2004, 8:53 PM
Looks great Jim! I will have to come see it when you move in. Wish my project was moving as fast.

Jim Ketron
09-02-2004, 9:04 PM
Looks great Jim! I will have to come see it when you move in. Wish my project was moving as fast.
Anytime Sparky! Come on over !
Hey if you need some help with your project Give me a shout.
I would like to see ya make one of those hollow vessels with your homemade hollowing tool!
Thanks Jim

John Miliunas
09-02-2004, 11:30 PM
Wouldn't surprise me none if the next set of pics has all the machinery already in there, ready to rock 'n roll! :D Dang it, Jim....Beautifu work and we're talking "fast" on steroids here! :eek: You'll be ready to enjoy it in no time! :cool:

Chris Padilla
09-03-2004, 1:50 PM
Jim,

I admire you being able to stay on a budget by going with 2x4 construction and T-12 ballasts but I think you are spending your money wisely and doing an admirable job, too! :)

Nice job on the wiring! The flex I am putting in is turning out to be quite a challenge (routing and time) but I think I'll be happy I did it 5 years from now. Now I am thinking about putting in 2+2 combo wiring (2 rg6 coax, 2 cat5e) and creating a distribution panel for future telecom stuff. Now is the time as I have access. More time, more money....:rolleyes:

I found a guy who'll rock the place for $400--2 guys, 1 day. I figured about 50 sheets of 5/8" fire-rated sheetrock and that will cost me about $400. Then I'll have another guy come in and tape/mud the place (1-step above fire-taping) for about $300. $1100 for a full drywall job is a fantastic price and it will be done about 100x faster than I could do it and so it is worth a grand.

Frank Pellow
09-06-2004, 8:58 PM
Congratulations on a job well done Jim. Once, a long time ago, I was ahead of you :) . Now, I will be playing catch-up for some time :( .

Jim Ketron
09-06-2004, 9:54 PM
Thanks Frank

Were not in a race any-way;) My shop is pretty simple in design and a lot less fancy compared to yours. Just enjoy yourself while you work on it and have fun doing it:) we will be in there before you know it.

I didn't get to work on it much this weekend got about half the insulation installed I also put in a motel room type AC/Heat Well the AC isn't going to cut it so I'm going to put a bigger AC in that should do better on hot days and on the cooler days use the smaller one and I will have heat also.
Jim

Chris Pasko
09-08-2004, 5:09 PM
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_031.sized.jpg

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_030.sized.jpg
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/shop_032.sized.jpg

Awesome shot, and great job. One question I have is, what are the diagonal 2x's for in the framing? I have seen them a few times int he past but not often. Looks like they would be a pain in the butt to add to the framing.

Chris Padilla
09-08-2004, 5:22 PM
Chris,

They are for structural framing...to prevent sideways collapse...they aren't too bad to install! :D

Jim Ketron
09-08-2004, 5:31 PM
Awesome shot, and great job. One question I have is, what are the diagonal 2x's for in the framing? I have seen them a few times int he past but not often. Looks like they would be a pain in the butt to add to the framing.

This was reqired by the inspector! If you don't use sheeting(1/2" OSB or plywood) on the corners you have to have some kind of diagonal bracing (per code) I think it's for wind sheer
Yes I took a little additional time to do it! I cut 3/4" out of the wall and the brace with a circular saw!
Thanks
Jim

Chris Pasko
09-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Gotcha..thanks guys. I still wouldnt want to do it =).

Bart Leetch
09-09-2004, 12:05 AM
I went back & looked at the pictures isn't that some sort of sheeting that you put on the outside? Maybe I'm just seeing things. I know when we used 1/2 CDX on the outside we didn't have to put in corner bracing. :)

Jim Ketron
09-09-2004, 12:11 AM
I went back & looked at the pictures isn't that some sort of sheeting that you put on the outside? Maybe I'm just seeing things. I know when we used 1/2 CDX on the outside we didn't have to put in corner bracing. :)Yes it is but it's only 3/8" thick so had to add the braces.
Jim

Bart Leetch
09-09-2004, 12:15 AM
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Jim Ketron
09-14-2004, 12:08 AM
Ops I forgot to take pics of the insulation that I put in!
Oh well I have it all in and I'm now covering up the walls I have 3/4 of it done. I was going to wait to cover them up but its too easy to rip the insulation.
And Im going to paint the walls white to help reflect light.

I have another jobsite find! I got 3 blower fans 3 speeds from some old A/C with new motors in them:D I also grabed some 3 speed switches I plan on making some air cleaners with two of them and maybe a downdraft table with the other.
to late for pics tonight I'll try to post them in the next day or so.
Jim

Rob Russell
09-14-2004, 6:53 AM
This is probably a dumb question, but how are you going to have the 'rock put up with the lights and receptacles in?

Bob Hovde
09-14-2004, 9:13 AM
This was reqired by the inspector! If you don't use sheeting(1/2" OSB or plywood) on the corners you have to have some kind of diagonal bracing (per code) I think it's for wind sheer
Yes I took a little additional time to do it! I cut 3/4" out of the wall and the brace with a circular saw!
Thanks
Jim

Most places only require a 1x4, because that's really all the strength you get out of a notched 2x4, anyway. But--You could have fooled me with the outside sheathing. It looks like plywood to me.

Bob

Jim Ketron
09-14-2004, 12:14 PM
This is probably a dumb question, but how are you going to have the 'rock put up with the lights and receptacles in?
Rob Im puting up wood(just on the walls) I was going to put up sheetrock but it's easy to knock a hole in it! so wood it is! I was going to wait a while before I coverd up the walls but it was to easy to rip the insulation and I allready put in the receptacles in and I don't want to take them back out! So Im just taking the covers off then cuting the holes for the receptacles and nailing them up its not too bad!
Jim

Jim Ketron
09-14-2004, 12:18 PM
Most places only require a 1x4, because that's really all the strength you get out of a notched 2x4, anyway. But--You could have fooled me with the outside sheathing. It looks like plywood to me.

Bob
Yes I agree! I just put it in like he wanted to make him happy:D
The sheathing looks just like old barnwood if you will go back and look at some of the pics you can see it better than with the paint on it. I liked the way it looked and the price was great!
Jim

Steve Stube
09-14-2004, 12:46 PM
If I can show a peek into my shop wall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/ceethese/Shop%20Photos/ShopElectricalcktfeedSW.jpg
I used the heavy gage galvanized "T" for diagonal bracing. Sets in a fat saw cut on the exterior of the wall. I have 5/8" T1-11 on the exterior but the 1" Dow foam separates it from the 2" x 6" studs so it didn't qualify for the bracing.

Electrical circuit runs can be seen above and below (I avoid putting in holes at the weakest point of the studs, i.e., the center - a personal thing with me). Nearly all the circuit feeds run in this wall and would be a bunch to route them all at the center (and around windows). Next was putting in the fiberglas followed by Poly vapor barrier. I had all the receptacles prewired so the poly kept them clean until after the sheeting and painting was complete. I then cut the poly and installed the cover plates.

Jim, are you putting in a vapor barrier?

Chris Padilla
09-14-2004, 1:20 PM
Jim,

If you are putting plywood on your walls instead of sheetrock, what do you need to use to meet firecodes? How thick? Does it need to be exterior-rated (or is that the same as fire-rated?) or something? I'm not well-versed in the various ratings plywood can come in.

I know that for my garage, I mostly need 5/8" thick fire-rated drywall for anything next to a living space but your building is 100% detached so I don't know how that impacts your choices if at all.

Jim Ketron
09-14-2004, 4:11 PM
Jim,

If you are putting plywood on your walls instead of sheetrock, what do you need to use to meet firecodes? How thick? Does it need to be exterior-rated (or is that the same as fire-rated?) or something? I'm not well-versed in the various ratings plywood can come in.

I know that for my garage, I mostly need 5/8" thick fire-rated drywall for anything next to a living space but your building is 100% detached so I don't know how that impacts your choices if at all.Chris
As long as it's detached you don't have to put in sheetrock for fire rated walls/ ceilings Now if this were a living space or connected to a living space it would!
I know most of the firecodes and if I don't,I have a copy of NFPA on CD at home. I install Fire Sprinkler Systems and I deal with fire code every day.

As far as I know there are not any fire rated ply but there are some fire retardant wood that you can buy $$$$ I don't know how they make it but I have seen it used on a few jobs I've worked on. but it's not rated as long as sheetrock!
There are a lot of codes on fire rating 5/8 sheetrock will give you 30 min fire rating two layers will give you 1 hr But you also must seal up all penetrations with somekind of fire proofing material If you have plastic over 2" diameter you must use a fire collar with fire proofing and that's just a few!

Thanks Jim

Frank Pellow
09-14-2004, 8:41 PM
Jim, I am going to use very thin plywood (5 mm) on the cieling and walls. What are you going to use?

In fact, I started to prepaint some of the 34 panels today (glossy white).

Jim Ketron
09-14-2004, 8:59 PM
Jim, I am going to use very thin plywood (5 mm) on the cieling and walls. What are you going to use?

In fact, I started to prepaint some of the 34 panels today (glossy white).Frank Im using 1/4" hard board Kinda like MDF(boy this stuff is dusty when you cut it) and I'm going to paint my walls white also. I think it should be more durable than sheetrock!
Im just putting it on the walls for now. I should have pre painted mine(OH well too late now I have almost all of it up!
BTW your shop is Looking great!
Jim

Jim Becker
09-14-2004, 9:09 PM
Jim and Frank...don't you want the ability to screw things directly to the wall, even things that might not need to be "in the stud"? I don't think that 1/4" anything is going to give you a lot of satisfaction in that respect. Even the 7/32" T1-11 in the original part of my shop is dubious for that in my almost five years experience with it...'wish I went with 1/2" plywood! (or OSB like I used in the "new" portion of the shop. THAT I can screw to quite nicely other than to support heavy things.

Jim Ketron
09-14-2004, 9:14 PM
Jim and Frank...don't you want the ability to screw things directly to the wall, even things that might not need to be "in the stud"? I don't think that 1/4" anything is going to give you a lot of satisfaction in that respect. Even the 7/32" T1-11 in the original part of my shop is dubious for that in my almost five years experience with it...'wish I went with 1/2" plywood! (or OSB like I used in the "new" portion of the shop. THAT I can screw to quite nicely other than to support heavy things. OH I didn't tell that I also have a 8'x8' sec of pegboard to hang tools. and it might take a while but I plan on building cabinets and shelves to hold my tools and eq
Jim

Frank Pellow
09-14-2004, 9:41 PM
Jim and Frank...don't you want the ability to screw things directly to the wall, even things that might not need to be "in the stud"? I don't think that 1/4" anything is going to give you a lot of satisfaction in that respect.

Mine isn't even 1/4 inch. For the difference in price between the plywood I purchased for the cieling and the 1/2" G1S plywood that I could screw things to, I will put up with anchoring things to studs.

The 34 sheets of 5mm plywood that I am using was 13.47 (Cdn) a sheet and the 1/2" G1S that I did get for my floor was 38.32 (Cdn) a sheet. When one adds taxes, the difference was $971 (Cdn) or $738 (US).

Jim Becker
09-14-2004, 9:51 PM
One other thought...how well will it hold up if a machine or a board bangs into it? I'm only paying "devil's advocate" here on things I found important in my own shop construction "just in case" they got missed in the process. Shops are places where we tend to be a little "rougher" than we are in our homes. At least most of the time we're a bit more careful in the house! I hope...

Jim Ketron
09-14-2004, 10:04 PM
One other thought...how well will it hold up if a machine or a board bangs into it? I'm only paying "devil's advocate" here on things I found important in my own shop construction "just in case" they got missed in the process. Shops are places where we tend to be a little "rougher" than we are in our homes. At least most of the time we're a bit more careful in the house! I hope...
The stuff I'm using is hard You can hit it with a hammer and it don't dent it:eek:
I missed a few nails:D I thought that out well! thats why I didn't use sheetrock.
Jim

Frank Pellow
09-14-2004, 10:10 PM
One other thought...how well will it hold up if a machine or a board bangs into it? ...

Its certainaly going to hold up better than drywall. :rolleyes: