PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV question

Matt Meiser
02-11-2009, 5:28 PM
DirecTV came out a few weeks ago and installed a new dish and an HD DVR for me. We kept the standard receiver we already had in the master bedroom. The installer said he couldn't use SWM because of the old receiver and he ran 2 cables to the HD DVR and left the one on the old receiver. The dish only appears to have 3 LNB's. I want to install a multiswitch so I can activate another reciever a creeker gave me for our basement TV. Can I just buy a standard multiswitch or do I need something special for HD?

Menards has a 2x4 multiswitch. My thought is to run the two lines that currently go to the DVR to the multiswitch, then from 2 of the multiswitch outputs to the DVR. One of the other two would go to the new reciever and the last would be for "future" use. Will this work?

Brad Wood
02-11-2009, 6:23 PM
i've read your post three times and I'm still not clear what you are asking... what is "SWM" that the installer couldn't use?

Some info I know - the two lines going into your receiver are so you can watch one channel and record another at the same time... or record two channels at the same time while you watch a recording (or just record two at a time while you are not home, whatever).

When direct came out for my HD install, they put a new switch in with LOTS of ports. The cables from the dish to the switch plug into one side, then the out ports on the other side of the switch go into the house. I've got two going to the HD/DVR receiver, two going to the non HD DVR downstairs, and one going to guest bedroom receiver... and I think there are still four ports open.

Seems to mee you just need to get a switch with enough out ports to run as many cables as you need.

My dish has three LNB's, just like you mentioned.

Between the three receivers I have, I can record four shows at one time on different channels, and watch a fifth channel on the guest bedroom (that makes it sound like we watch a lot of TV, we probably do watch too much, but not that much)

I don't know if this helps or not.

Jerry Casler
02-11-2009, 7:21 PM
the three lnbs for three different sat feeds , they should go to a switch box then to feed your receivers there should be an extra port there to run a line to new receiver or tap in into the one for the bedroom and install a splitter to run new line

Tim Morton
02-11-2009, 7:39 PM
i've read your post three times and I'm still not clear what you are asking... what is "SWM" that the installer couldn't use?

swm=Single Wire Multi-switch.

Matt Meiser
02-11-2009, 8:37 PM
Thanks Tim. As I understand, SWM only requires one wire to each receiver. But all the equipment must be new to use it.

They did not install any kind of multiswitch inside or outside the house. Three RG6 lines come off the dish, inside the house to a ground block, then off to the receivers, via my network closet, which is where I would add a multiswitch.

So I guess my question is, are there special HD multiswitches or do the ones they've been making for years still work? What makes me wonder is the fact that even though our old dish had 3 LNBs, we still had to get a new dish for HD. And, can I install the multiswitch on just 2 of the three LNBs and let the third just go to the other reciever. Or do I not understand what's going on at the dish itself (the connections are covered by a shroud so I can't see how they are labeled?)

I suppose I could just buy the one at Menards and try it.

Sonny Edmonds
02-11-2009, 9:29 PM
Check here, Matt. (http://hdguru.com/)
HD Guru is pretty much the chatterbox of HDTV.
Might already have the question answered for you and save you some dough and frustration.

We have DirecTV service, and two HDTV's and another standard DVR we had with them before we went HD. (Plus the system in the RV, standard reciver, track in motion anntenna)
The guys rewired the whole system when they came for the first HD DVR. Because I made a last minute request that they put the old DVR in the kids' room, (Daycare), they put a large multi switch in the attic.
It is a big old bruser, and when the guy came to do the last HDTV DVR install, all he had to do was tap the two remaining HD outputs of that multi switch.

But I don't know if you can install your own multi switch for HDTV. They have gotten very sofisticated about the satillite service. You can even reset your recivers over the web with DirecTV.
You have to login, then go to "refresh services". It has each reciver you have with them and the card number's last several digits.
So they do know exactly what you are getting and are subscribed for. I don't think it's easy to pull any shenanigans, if at all possible.
I think extra receivers (after the initial HDTV install) are $4.95 a month. I'm fairly certain our second set-up is that price. Hardly worth trying to do it on your own. Just go legit. ;)
And get the protection package. If the DVR craps out, they replace it under the coverage. We've killed two. :o But I think they figured out the quality control issues. Still, we keep the protection.

Also, as I understand it, there are 5 LNB's in that dish. :eek: It takes them to get the HDTV from their satillite.

Enjoy! "It's like 3D TV!", so sez my buddies wife in Aridzona. :)

Barb Becker
02-11-2009, 9:47 PM
Here's another site that might be helpful. (my better half is the keeper of the remote and all things associated :rolleyes: - I'd rather spend my time on the 'puter and learn something useful!).

http://www.dbstalk.com/

Matt Meiser
02-11-2009, 9:57 PM
Thanks for the links guys, I'll check those out too. It appears, based on what I've read that there are a couple specific multiswitches for the new dish. If what I'm reading is right, there's also a fourth connection on the dish. I'll have to go out tomorrow and pull the cover off to see what's there. If that's the case, I just need to run a fourth cable in. I'm a little miffed that they didn't install the multiswitch as I had told them we'd probably move our old Tivo reciever to another room. Before I do anything, I think I'll give them a call and see if I can't get them to come out and take care of it for me.

Jim Becker
02-11-2009, 10:15 PM
A current install should be a 5-LNB dish...at least that's what mine is and it's been in place since early last summer.

Matt Meiser
02-11-2009, 10:35 PM
OK, aren't LNB's the white bumps on the dish? If so there's three??? There's space to the one side where it appears more could go but weren't installed.

The new dish is bigger than our old dish which had three of the bumps and was definitely a 3-LNB dish according to the box.

Brad Wood
02-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Personally I'd call Direct and complain that the installers screwed you and didn't do a complete install. I am pretty sure those are contractors and I'd bet they charged back a switch to Direct.
When I first moved into my place, the first installer had to run all new cable from the dish into the house (previous owners never had anything). The guy ran the cable directly through the wall and into my TV. I walked in as he was wrapping up, saw that he didn't put a jack on the wall, and told him I wanted a jack (he had already done the other three rooms). The ass had the nerve to argue with me that I didn't need a jack and that the straight cable to the TV was fine. I said "well, what if I want to move my TV", he said "this is really the only place in the room where a TV can go". I said "that is beside the point, you don't get to decide where my TV goes, and what if one of my dogs chews the cable?"... with a bad attitude, he went back and did a proper install... needless to say, I kept an eye on him the entire time (don't think he liked that either).
Anyway, my point is, I think these guys cut corners to save money and likely charge Direct for complete installs. You should call Direct and tell them you want to connect another receiver but the installer didn't put a switch on the house for you to tap into

As far as the LNB - my HD dish was installed last January and it has three... and there are three cables coming from it into the switch

Michael Parr
02-12-2009, 10:56 AM
http://www.directtv-advisor.com/directv-multiswitch.html

This Seems to have at least more information on it.

Matt Meiser
02-12-2009, 12:37 PM
I called DirecTV and talked to someone in tech support. They admit they should have installed a multiswitch for me but didn't. To fix it they want $99???

The dish has 4 connections, one is open. So I can run another cable in from the dish, through a ground block, to the receiver.

Before I even asked, she she also said I can do exactly what I asked about at the beginning of the thread since I don't have SWM.

Edit: I keep seeing references to a Zinwell WB68 mutlisiwtch being used with the Slimline dish they installed--4 cables into the multiswitch and 8 available outputs. A quick search turned up numerous examples on Ebay. I've got a new one on the way for $17.98 total. I'll have to add an additional ground block and run a new cable from the dish to there, then on to my network closet.

Jim Becker
02-12-2009, 3:43 PM
Don't forget, Matt, that you can't use "normal" cable TV stuff with DTV due to the frequencies they use.

Matt Meiser
02-12-2009, 4:38 PM
I'm using a Belden RG6 coax for everything in the house. About 1/2 the signal path on the already installed lines is on cable I ran from my network closet in the basement to the TV's. Their wire runs from the dish to the closet. The only thing he saw that he was concerned about is the barrels in my wall plates--he had me change those out for the ones he uses.

Brian Effinger
02-12-2009, 6:00 PM
I called DirecTV and talked to someone in tech support. They admit they should have installed a multiswitch for me but didn't. To fix it they want $99???

At that point I would have said "cancel my service - I'm going with xyz cable, (or Dish Network)." It is completely unacceptable that they want more money to fix a mistake made by one of their hired installers. Complete BS.

Peter Stahl
02-12-2009, 6:36 PM
Don't forget, Matt, that you can't use "normal" cable TV stuff with DTV due to the frequencies they use.

What type cable do you need to use for it?

Christopher Stahl
02-12-2009, 6:40 PM
Matt, if you want to use HD, you will need an AT9 dish and a multiswitch that can handle Ka/Ku bands from the dish. Off the dish, you will have for RG6 lines to the multiswitch. From there, you'll need to two lines for each DVR box. The WB68 will fit your needs.

If you want to use the SWM equipment, you'll still have 4 lines coming from the AT9 dish, but it will go into and SWM Multiswitch like the SWM-8. From there, you may choose to send the signal through a Power inverter like the SWM-PI. Then finally into a splitter, like the SWS-8. From there to your boxes around the house.

You may also need to consider any long distances from the dish to the multiswitch. If your line is 75 or more, you'll probably need a polarity locker similar to the Sonora HRPID1422 place before the multiswitch.

If you're getting the new install, you'll want to use the SWM equipment so you don't have to run cables every where.

There is suppose to be an SWM AT9 available sometime which would allow for only one line in from the dish. I'm not sure if that's out yet.

Matt Meiser
02-12-2009, 9:21 PM
Chris, we already had the new equipment installed, or at least a new dish and an HD DVR. I believe we so have an AT9 dish. They only ran 3 of the 4 cables since we only have 3 tuners active at the moment--1 standard receiver and 2 in the HD DVR. The installer said he couldn't use the SWM switch because of the standalone reciever which is about 4-5 years old. The WB68 is exactly what I ordered.

Jim Becker
02-12-2009, 9:34 PM
What type cable do you need to use for it?

I was referring to splitters, etc. Standard RG6 is the correct cable. however.

Christopher Stahl
02-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Chris, we already had the new equipment installed, or at least a new dish and an HD DVR. I believe we so have an AT9 dish. They only ran 3 of the 4 cables since we only have 3 tuners active at the moment--1 standard receiver and 2 in the HD DVR. The installer said he couldn't use the SWM switch because of the standalone reciever which is about 4-5 years old. The WB68 is exactly what I ordered.

Matt, that makes more sense now. You're not using a multiswitch. D* will probably give you a replacement non-DVR receiver is you ask them.

Rich Lightfoot
02-14-2009, 4:35 PM
The correct cable for the new Slimline HD dish is RG-59 not RG-6. I'm not saying RG-6 won't work, just that they have changed to RG-59. Your new dish has 4 outputs and you're currently only using 3 so the installer didn't drop in a new multi-switch and was right about your old switch not being compatible. Installers are not actual employees of Directv, they're either independent contractors or they work for a satellite dealer that's under contract with Directv so they cut costs wherever they can. Since you didn't absolutely need a switch, they didn't put one in.

The switch you have on order is exactly what you need if you want more than 4 outputs. It actually has 6 inputs and 8 outputs (hence WB68) but 2 of the inputs are reserved for foreign language programming (spanish or chinese) from different satellites. If you want/need more than 8 outputs there is a 6X16 switch but it needs its own power supply and runs around $130.00. You can pick up a second dish and WB68 for less than half that.

Jim Becker
02-14-2009, 4:59 PM
Rich, I wonder why they would do that with the whole industry moving to RG6 from RG59 over the past decade...we've all ripped out the old RG59 and replaced it with RG6. (The cables run from my 5-LNB DTV dish are RG6 and it was installed 9 months ago)

Christopher Stahl
02-14-2009, 5:10 PM
The correct cable for the new Slimline HD dish is RG-59 not RG-6. I'm not saying RG-6 won't work, just that they have changed to RG-59.

Rich, this is not correct. RG-6 is recommended for satellite installs. Actually, as Jim stated, it is recommended for most all coax installs. It has a larger center conductor, larger foam dielectric and is double or quad shielded. This all accounts for longer runs and less signal loss. New homes have RG-6 installed unless a contractor cheaped out on coax.

I believe you have your cables mixed up.

Christopher Stahl
02-14-2009, 5:27 PM
If you want/need more than 8 outputs there is a 6X16 switch but it needs its own power supply and runs around $130.00. You can pick up a second dish and WB68 for less than half that.

If you needed more than 8 outputs, the correct way would be to use a WB616, 6x16, or simply use something like I mentioned before. Only difference would be signal splitters after the signal locker feeding two WB68's.

Like this:
Bring the 4 lines in from the dish into a signal locker. Then the 4 outputs would run to 4 signal splitters. The signal splitters have 2 outputs each, one to each WB68. Simple and inexpensive.

Rich Lightfoot
02-14-2009, 6:35 PM
I say RG 59 'cause I have about 1000 ft of it left over from my brief stint working as an installer a few months back. That's the only reason I've got.

I only mentioned the second dish and WB68 as a cheaper option than the others.

Bryan Hosford
02-14-2009, 8:27 PM
Matt,

I just upgraded to HD and due to directtv installers being lazy in my area I had to do the work myself. SWM has 3 legacy connectors for your old boxes, and if the put a DVR in then it should be compatable. DirectTV doesn't want to install these devices, because it costs about $150 per install - basically it's a nice to have in there mind. I purchased the SWM and the splitter that goes with it for about $120. Single wire is from the splitter to the reciever, not from the Dish. You'll need 4 wires coming from a 5 LMB Dish to the SWM. Be advised that Direct TV is switching thier HD signal to MPEG4 format for you should need new boxes anyway, which would allow the SWM. Also you can tell a 5 LMB dish by several means: its REALLY big, so big that it comes with 2 extra brackets to hold the mast of the dish in place. If you want I'll post a diagram of how everything hooks up - really simple install.

John Meyer
02-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Don't mean to hijack this thread but had a question about Direct TV. They came out to install Direct TV in our condo, but our association will not let them put anything on the roof, so I was told they could not do the install because they needed two dishes with four wires coming in and there is no way to run those cables in our existing situation. He said they would be getting a new dish and then they would only need one cable and run it in where our current cable comes in. Can I get HD signals with just one wire coming in the house and then get it split to four different locations in the house through the existing coax that was installed when this place was built?
John

Christopher Stahl
02-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Yes, there is a new SWM AT9 dish coming out. One cable from the AT9 to the SWM Multiswitch.