PDA

View Full Version : Display for wholesale at local shop

Joe Pelonio
02-11-2009, 4:42 PM
A while back someone asked me to show the display I have at a local shipping/copy center. I have actually been getting a decent amount
of wholesale work from them lately.

Here's one I took with the cell phone, as it sits on their counter. Not a great pic but you get the idea.

Margaret Turco
02-11-2009, 5:00 PM
Thanks for the picture Joe, that looks great! Is that the smoked-looking acrylic? Also, did you just glue on an easel back?

Joe Pelonio
02-11-2009, 6:05 PM
Thanks for the picture Joe, that looks great! Is that the smoked-looking acrylic? Also, did you just glue on an easel back?
It's opaque green, and I cut a triangle of the same acrylic for an easel and cemented it on the back.

Frank Corker
02-11-2009, 6:52 PM
Good idea Joe. Now all I have to do is find a place to put on in.

Joe Hayes
02-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Joe - Nice display & nice idea. Can I ask what type of deal do you have with this copy center. Do you pay them for the ad space or give them a kick back on the work they send?

Joe Pelonio
02-12-2009, 8:12 AM
I sell to them wholesale. They have a graphic artist who does large format printing, paper only, mostly posters. When a customer asks for laser or vinyl work, he e-mails me the artwork, I do it and charge them a wholesale price that allows them to mark it up and make a profit. They are only 1 mile away and do shipping, so I am there most days dropping off packages for UPS anyway so I deliver the work to them.

With business from many other customers slowed way down, this one helps a lot as people find out they can do signs. We have 2,000 home based businesses and no business services other than them, so people like the idea of having it done locally and not having to drive 6-10 miles to the nearest larger business area.

Chip Peterson
02-12-2009, 8:19 AM
That's a good looking display Joe.

I have a question for you, and for everyone that does wholesale work like this. How do you coordinate things from a paperwork, order taking, order placement, delivery perspective? What kind of paperwork and agreements do you have in place with the wholesale customers? How do you handle the money exchange?

Maybe I'm to wrapped up in the details, and I'm trying to make the simple, complicated. Examples would certainly help if possible. Obviously, I don't want to get into your business' detail, but I'm hoping to understand the framework of the wholesale process.

Scott Shepherd
02-12-2009, 8:31 AM
I have a question for you, and for everyone that does wholesale work like this. How do you coordinate things from a paperwork, order taking, order placement, delivery perspective? What kind of paperwork and agreements do you have in place with the wholesale customers? How do you handle the money exchange?

They know the prices, they email or fax the order details over, the items are made, delivered or picked up, and they are given an invoice like any other customer. If I need all the contracts, etc., then I'm not dealing with people I want to deal with in the first place. I like that "look me in the eye and shake hands on it" type of customer. It's worked well for us so far and no worries about all the paper work.

Steve Clarkson
02-12-2009, 8:35 AM
Joe,

I really like that.....thanks for posting it. I really like how you put an actual name badge, name plate, cut out letters, etc.

I have been thinking about creating something like this for quite some time......but different ones for different businesses.....ie. florists, pet stores, liquor stores, etc.

If anyone would like to join me in creating templates like this, please PM me.......if we can get 4-5 people to each make one, then swap, then we will each have 4-5 displays without recreating the wheel 4-5 times.

Joe Pelonio
02-12-2009, 9:55 AM
That's a good looking display Joe.

I have 10+ wholesale customers and it varies. In most cases I provide them with an invoice at delivery, due at receipt and they send me a check right away, usually within 4-6 days. Once customer prefers to pay by credit card in advance, actually keeps a credit balance. His invoices show the sales and remaining credit balance. Those that order the most provide me with a PO by fax or e-mail, and e-mail the artwork in the format I have requested for either vinyl cutting or engraving/laser cutting. There are some repeat orders where we have set prices, but in most cases they have to call or e-mail me for a quote before ordering. Because they find the customers, and do the hassle of the artwork and proofs, and collections, I give them a lower wholesale price and no tax. I do have to keep a state resale form on file for them.

In some cases where the material is not stock for me I will have them order it and have it shipped to me, just to make it easier for me. Like Scott, I know these people and have no need for any kind of written agreements.