PDA

View Full Version : Major Gloat! Must...Post...Now...

Steve Wargo
07-06-2004, 1:25 PM
I received a call on Sunday from a buddy that there was a furniture restoration shop going out of business a few miles from me. We went down Monday morning and immediately went to the lumber and veneer area. I found about 45 to 50 sq ft of Amboyna Burl (that is primo), 3 6' long x 10" wide by 1/4" thick boards of Holly, a nice Mahogany half crotch flitch (about 10 sheets), a nice little walnut burl flitch (6 sheets), a beautiful Brazilian Roasewood sheet, 2 nice Birds Eye Maple sheets, a nice sheet of Tulip, and a few others. I took it up to the check out person and he said "How about $7." I paid and ran to the car. The last thing I need was more veneer, but $7 is un real. The Amboyna is the nicest I've ever seen. I listed three of the many sheets on E-bay this morning. Thanks for listening, I still have a smile on my face.

James Carmichael
07-06-2004, 1:38 PM
Congrats, Steve, but I believe the unwritten rule is that to qualify as major, a gloat posting must be accompanied by pictures.

Dan Mages
07-06-2004, 2:16 PM
Amboyna?!!? pics!! we need pics!!

Dan

Steve Wargo
07-06-2004, 2:37 PM
I only took pictures of the ones I listed on e-bay. The rest of them are a single flitch measureing about 17" square.

A small sample (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8116491555&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT)

Dave Anderson NH
07-06-2004, 3:40 PM
There is a traditional reply to this type of good fortune among Galoots and Neanderthal types and you've heard it before. You Suck ! I'm sure you'll put the veneer to good use and post the results here on the Creek.

Jim Becker
07-06-2004, 5:52 PM
Dave, my boss and I say that to each other all the time when one of us gets something good come down the pike :D...(really we do!) but it sure does apply here, too! What a find!

Dave Anderson NH
07-06-2004, 8:42 PM
For those who have been around the hand and old tools world for a while it has always been the traditional reply to a primo gloat. It started at least 6-7 years ago on the Old Tools list and carried over to Badger Ponds Neanderthal forum and is in use elsewhere. No higher form of praise can be given.

Steve Wargo
07-06-2004, 9:20 PM
I'll post pics of the serpentine front sofa table in mahagany with the Amboyna top and ebony accents when it's completed.

Steve Wargo
07-06-2004, 9:22 PM
..........http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif