PDA

View Full Version : Corel vs Adobe Photoshop Cs

natasha robbins
02-11-2009, 2:46 PM
Hi all,
I got my engraver about a year ago and have just been messing around with it on little things. I see alot of people talking about Corel Draw and nothing really about Adobe Photoshop CS. Is there an advantage with Corel Draw? Also in order to do photos do you need a special program?

I was just using Adobe because it is what we already had but if Corel is alot better i'm sure i could go get that.

A little history on what i have been doing is using a LS100 Laser Engraver.
I mostly engrave radio housings on two way radios. I have been using the engravocolor sticks to fill in the color. I've tried using paint but it never works out to well. Maybe someone has an idea on how to use the paint and make it turn out good. Thanks

Tim Bateson
02-11-2009, 3:06 PM
I processes all my Photos in CS, but that may because I've used it for years and can process a photo is seconds. I do use Corel PhotoPaint for vignettes thanks to Mike's post on how to do it.

Joe Pelonio
02-11-2009, 3:51 PM
I too use photoshop for photo editing sometimes, it was made for that and does a better job then Corel Paint. I have an older version but it, and as far as I know newer ones do not allow you to create or edit vector files which makes Corel a must for laser work.

Michael Kowalczyk
02-11-2009, 4:00 PM
Joe that's why they have Illustrator ;)

Ruben Salcedo
02-11-2009, 4:06 PM
Tim,

here is one of many ways of making vignettes or feather ovals in CS, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw0exVrZfFk , the video is a bit fast, you can pause it to read the instructions.

Ruben

Anthony Scira
02-11-2009, 4:43 PM
I got Corel cause it's a lot cheaper and seemed to be the laser standard software.

You can get some pretty cheap copies of X3 on ebay. Just watch out for pirated copies cause I don't think you will be able to upgrade to X4 when you are ready.

Doug Griffith
02-11-2009, 5:20 PM
Hi Natasha,
If you already have Adobe Photoshop then you probably have Illustrator as well. The interfaces are very similar so you won't have the steep learning curve of Corel nor have to invest in it. Illustrator will do everything Corel does if not more. You may have an issue with Illustrator driver compatability and your hardware. I'm sure others here will have that answer.

The best thing about Corel is the support you get here on SMC.

Cheers,
Doug