PDA

View Full Version : Carbide band saw blade and drift

mike marconi
02-11-2009, 2:14 PM
I about to purchase a Lenox carbide tipped band saw blade. I thought I read somewhere that because the teeth on these blades have no set they do not drift like other blades.

Can those using one of these blades confirm or contradict this?.

Thanks Mike

David Romano
02-11-2009, 2:45 PM
Drift is what is meant when the blade does not cut parallel to the fence. Any blade can do this and there are multiple causes. One variable is tracking (for most saws where at least the top wheel is crowned) Another is blade tension which in turn flexes the frame, which in turn changes the tracking. Another variable is feed rate, and yet another is blade wear. I have a blade that is only used for straight cuts. I'd assume that if you want to buy such a nice blade that you want to resaw with it. If a blade is used for curves very often, it may dull more on one side than the other then the cut pulls to one side. Granted this will be slower with carbide, but it would still happen.

Don't buy the blade and expect no drift, just learn how to control it.

hope this helps

David

William Falberg
02-11-2009, 4:36 PM
Hi Mike,
The Lennox carbide-tipped blades have ample set, in that the width of the carbide insert is wider than the blade stock. They have a very sweet set-angle for re-sawing and you'll probably love it. I do. If you're looking for deep cuts you'll favor the 3/8" W blade - it's got more et-angle. The 1/2" has the same kerf width but due to its wider body and its lower set-angle might make deep re-saws more difficult and require more tension than your saw can handle. Finish is smooth in both cases as well as feed rate if you don't exceed 3TPI.