PDA

View Full Version : Sandiing Winged Bowl

Wyatt Holm
02-11-2009, 2:05 PM
Yesterday I made a winged bowl and it has a lot of rough edges and holes. I would like some advice for an efficient way to sand it.

Toney Robertson
02-11-2009, 2:50 PM
With out a picture it is hard to say but chances are that the best way would be by hand.

I sometimes will leave in on the chuck on the lathe but with out turning the lathe on. Sand by hand while rotating the piece by hand.

If that makes any sense.

Toney

steve mcconnell
02-11-2009, 3:58 PM
You can also use a drill and a sanding pad on the wings (with the lathe stopped, obviously) Be careful if you try to sand it with the lathe on, those edges are really sharp. :)

To clean up the edges (if you have tearout) you can use a small plane or a spokeshave.

Denis Puland
02-11-2009, 6:12 PM
warped and depending on the shape most of the sanding can be done with the lathe running. It must be done with a power or a passive sander with the proper pads and more importantly the proper technique.
It is impossible to describe the technique but a few skinned knuckles, torn sanding discs and broken bowls will soon teach the proper technique:rolleyes::D
At least thas how I learned.

There is usually some hand sanding that must be done.

Denis
PS: most of the fun is in the learning:D

Wyatt Holm
02-11-2009, 8:02 PM
Well I finished it today. I used a disk sander in the drill press and sanded a lot of it that way, then sanded the rest of it by hand. I haven't got a picture of it yet but will post it when I do.