PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Recommendations

Matt Woessner
02-11-2009, 12:51 PM
I am looking at purchasing a drill press sometime in the near future. What are some of the features I need (size, speeds, motor HP, etc). I would like to stay in the $300-500 price range. Any info about your press would be helpful. Thanks everyone. Matt

Lee Schierer
02-11-2009, 1:21 PM
You're going to want:

1. Adjustable speed, the more the better, either electronic or by changing belt(s) on pulley(s)
2. 1/2" chuck
3. 3/4-1 Hp
4. Floor mounted or Bench mounted depending upon your space available.
5. Adjustable work light.

Watch the local auction sites and used machinery dealers. Lots of businesses are selling equipment to stay in business or because they are no longer in business.

Matt Woessner
02-11-2009, 1:40 PM
Lee,
What brand do you have?
I am looking for a floor model for sure. Thanks

Lee Schierer
02-11-2009, 2:55 PM
Well, mine is a Homcraft that is at least 40 years old, my dad picked it up from a HS shop that auctioned off their old equipment to get new stuff for $75 a number of years ago. I had to add stepped pullies to get variable speeds. I rebuilt the bearings a couple of years ago to tighten things up. It is bench mounted, but there are times when I wish it were floor mounted so I had more space under the quill for boring ends of longer pieces. I can get four speeds (6850, 2330, 1310 and 700 rpm) and have a 1/2" chuck.

Jeff Rowley
02-11-2009, 5:32 PM
I'm in the same boat, and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one this week. I've got it narrowed down to 4 options, these were all sitting side by side at a local store:

Delta 17-950L: This is the cheapest of the bunch with a street price of $400. There are scattered reports of Lowes currently offering these on clearance at $258. My local stores are not. This is only a 1/2 hp machine, but has the IMO nice woodworking table.

Jet JDP-17DX: Street price around $510. This Jet has the 'woodworking' style table with the removable insert and T-slot. The laser system is mounted on the spindle, so seems like it would be easier to adjust than the Delta version back on the column. The table tilted side to side, but not front to back like the Delta tables. One cord for the drill and lamp/laser instead of two like the Delta. Jet also has a rebate going now where you could get two free 50" parallel clamps with this purchase.

Steel City 17": Street price about $500 (on sale now). This gets a lot of favorable reviews for it's 6" quill travel and split head design. For me, I'd rather have the woodworking style table. (I know you could add an aftermarket, but...)

Delta 17-959L: Street price about $580. This is the bigger 3/4hp version of the one above. Definitely has the nicest table of the bunch. I also liked the depth stop the best on this one of the 4 systems. 2 cords is a bit of a pain.

Frankly, I'm torn between the Jet (and free clamps) and the bigger Delta. I'm leaning towards the Delta, especially if I can get the local Woodcraft or the other local source to knock a few bucks off.

Brent Leonard
02-11-2009, 5:46 PM
I love the Shopsmith Mark V for drilling (other things too). It has a large table, with a miter slot & fence. It is nearly infinitely adjustable and also handles horizontal drilling which is awesome. Only complaint for drilling, the adjustable speed range is primarily for wood, for which the adjustability is excellent. To get the speeds down really SLOW, to drill metals, you need an expensive speed reducer attachment (which I have).

Don't bother buying a SS for the tablesaw, it's quite inadequate, IMO.
A used machine is affordable.

I used to own a full size Ridgid drill press. I sold it because my SS was SO much better than a normal Drillpress!

Jules Dominguez
02-11-2009, 6:06 PM
Floor and bench-mounted DP's each have pro's and con's. I recently replaced a bench model I had used for 40 years, and after considering them, I selected another bench model.
Floor models can have a longer stroke and you can make a simple jig to enable you to drill into the end of a fairly long board. Those are definite pro's. What I consider serious con's are that they're tippy and they don't lend themnselves to being moved or making good use under the footprint of the aux table. And an aux table is a must for woodworking.
A bench model can be mounted on a custom-designed- and-built (by you) cabinet on casters with shelf and drawer space. Additionally, there is laydown space on top of the cabinet in the space not occupied by the DP base. Laydown space at the tool is extremely convenient. The cabinet can be built to fit in the "footprint" of the aux table. It can be rolled around the shop without fear of tipping, because the cabinet forms a large base and the DP will be bolted to the top of the cabinet.
For other considerations, see the review of bench-mounted DP's in the August 2007 FWW magazine.
I bought the Jet JDP-15M and built the cabinet and aux table as shown in the attached pic, and am quite satisfied with it.

Joe Jensen
02-11-2009, 6:57 PM
I am looking at purchasing a drill press sometime in the near future. What are some of the features I need (size, speeds, motor HP, etc). I would like to stay in the $300-500 price range. Any info about your press would be helpful. Thanks everyone. Matt

I feel that the length of stroke is one of the most important features for me. I have an old Rockwell industrial drill press that has a 6" stroke. With the long stroke I almost never have to adjust the table. The long stroke also helps drill deep holes, but mainly I'm lazy and I like not having to adjust the table for different bit lengths. I go from regular jobber length twist bits, long spade bits, and forstner bits and hole saws without adjusting the table. It's awesome. Also, if you watch you can get an old industrial machine for under $300. I paid like $150 for mine at an auction 20 years ago. I see the same model I have on ebay regularly for $200-300. Just my not so humble opinion :cool:

Michael Koch
02-11-2009, 11:08 PM
I just picked up the Steel City 17 inch drill press. It is excellent machine. Very stable and the 6 inch travel comes in very handy. This thing is a moose. Extreemly smooth and poweful. You won't be dissapointed. MK

David Song
02-12-2009, 12:31 AM
I picked up a Steel City 17" several months ago for the quil travel and split head design. As far as the quality or performace, I don't know yet since I didn't finish putting it together.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-12-2009, 8:05 AM
Speed range is pretty important to me.

I like to see a slow speed of 170 rpm to 220 rpm for circle cutters, and I like a high speed of around 3600 rpm for polishing (plastic, brass, alum, etc). However, a high speed of around 2400 rpm is plenty for any drilling (very small bits) and any drum sanding I do.

How one changes drill press speed (electronic, stepped pulleys or variable speed adjustable pitch pulleys) is just a matter of convenience and not necessity. In the $300 to $500 range, most offerings are stepped pulleys.

Regardless of drill press chosen, there are a lot of neat add-on accessories that you can either make yourself or buy.

Some are:

Drill press tables with fence and hold down clamps;
A cart for benchtop models, and a cart that goes around the base for floor models. Great for storing bits and accessories;
Mortising attachment if you don't have dedicated mortiser;
A set of spindle sanding drums;
An accessory tray that attaches to the column for quick temporary storage.
A gooseneck lamp if no light is built-in;
-Jeff :)

Matt Woessner
02-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks for all the input! I will consider all my options and figure out what will work for me. Thanks again.

Calvin Crutchfield
02-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Wow. That's a lot of money for a those DP's.

I have a jet JDP 17MF or something like that. (will be for sale soon cheap) It was ok....

Then I found a 1939 Delta DP 600. For $250 I got:
(It had a a lot of accessories, otherwise they go cheaper.)

17" Capacity
3/4 HP Motor (very old, true 3/4 HP, not 3/4 "start-up" hp)
Large production table
Very cool foot operated pedal

No new DP can even be compared to this, especially for the money. For a few dollars in paint, bearings and some elbow grease, I will have a monster that will last another 75 years... True, I live in San Jose, lots of old stuff around here, but if you live near a big city keep an eye out on craigslist. For an older Delta, Walker Turner etc . . . Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of foundries going out of biz.