PDA

View Full Version : Oscillating Spindle Sander QUESTIONS

Tom Overthere
02-11-2009, 12:40 PM
A typical oscillating spindle sander (spindle sander (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Oscillating-Spindle-Sander/G1071)) uses 9” tall sandpaper sleeves. The machine’s oscillation is only 1.5” and typical applications involve work piece thicknesses of 1.5” or less.

So it seems like you’d wear out the bottom 3” of your sleeve, and then flip it over and wear out the top 3” (the new bottom) but the middle 3” would never get used…

QUESTION 1: Is there some way to lower the spindle into the table by 3” or more, so you can sand using the “mid spindle” area? Or do you just trim off the worn bottom 3” of sleeve and then lower it to the bottom of the spindle?

:eek: FAR OUT QUESTION 2: Does anybody make a sanding spindle set that fits in a typical SHAPER? (typical shaper (http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-HP-Shaper/G1026)) I know Shapers run at 7,000 or 10,000 RPM but Osc Spindle Sanders run at only 1725 RPM. I know the Shaper won’t oscillate, but its spindle travel can be adjusted vertically 3” or more…

Yeah, I’m thinking of maybe buying a used shaper, that might never get used as a shaper (router table envy :D).

Thanks

Anthony Whitesell
02-11-2009, 1:08 PM
What I've seen done, is to add a false top to the OSS to raise the work piece. Although the ones I've seen were solid wood, I think I would use two pieces on ply with some slats in between to reduce the weight.

Jason Beam
02-11-2009, 1:11 PM
Small note: "Typical" may not be defined the same for some people as it is for you. For example, Most of the sanders I see use 6" sleeves. Typical sanding thicknesses may only be 3/4" - tho for some folks it could be 2 or 3".

As for using the middle of the spindle sleeve? Put your workpiece on some scrap to raise it up - ping!

Also, on the ones with longer spindles, the tables almost always tilt - and that tilt may be the reson they need to be so long. Tilt the table and you are effectively raising the workpiece if you work on the "short" side of the table. You have to keep the point of contact inline with the center of the spindle/table/angle so that the bevel you sand remains the angle you set it at.

M Toupin
02-11-2009, 2:08 PM
The 9" spindles are actually a heavier class of machine, most of the hobby level are 4 1/2" spindles. Keep in mind, 3/4" stock might be your "typical", though for others 2", 3" or more can be average. I do a lot of Bandsaw boxes and often use the full 9" on my Boice Crane OSS. As Jason, pointed out, tilting table also necessitates the longer spindle.

Flipping the sleeve is good to extend the life of your sleeves, though I'd be careful using extensions to raise your work too high. The higher you get on the spindle the more side pressure your putting on the mechanism which can lead to a shortened life of the machine. I took another approach to reduce abrasive costs, I had a set of 4 1/2" spindles made so I can buy the cheaper sleeves.

As far as using a shaper... not a good idea. A shaper rotates at about 7000rpm were a OSS rotates at about 1750rpm. putting an unbalanced 9" spindle in a shaper and running it at 7000rpm will quickly lead to the spindle wobbling uncontrollably and being broken/ejected. If your lucky it'll miss your head! A drill press sanding drum set would be a lot better option.

Pete Shermet
02-11-2009, 2:18 PM
Better turn the fan on and the smoke detector off!!!! :eek:You're not going to sand it off but rather burn it off!!!! I don't like burn marks on the edges of my projects but it might give an alternate look.;)
There was a fellow on another forum who asked if he could chuck a sanding drum in a router because the shank size was the same, only once was the response and a flack jacket would be a must (JK).
Regards
Pete

Richard McComas
02-11-2009, 2:24 PM
My spindle sand has a 9" sleeve, when the bottom portion of the sand paper wears out I just cut that portion off and slide the sleeve down. Nothing says you have to completely cover the spindle with sand paper.

Bruce Page
02-11-2009, 2:38 PM
My spindle sand has a 9" sleeve, when the bottom portion of the sand paper wears out I just cut that portion off and slide the sleeve down. Nothing says you have to completely cover the spindle with sand paper.

Ahh Richard, I think you need to go back and read the fine print, I don't think that's allowed in this country.. :D

ROY DICK
02-12-2009, 8:32 AM
Use a false top as stated before and flip the sleeve end for end.

Roy