PDA

View Full Version : Sparks on MM Band Saw

Steve Mellott
02-11-2009, 11:47 AM
We were using my friend's MiniMax Band Saw last night and I noticed some sparking between the blade and the back bearing guide. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Thanks.

Steve

Pete Bradley
02-11-2009, 12:00 PM
A common cause is the back guide is too far back or side guides are too far to the front, causing the set part of the teeth to contact the guides. If the thrust bearing is a ball bearing and it's chewed up, I could also imagine you getting sparks as the band scrapes across the grooved, hardened race of the thrust bearing.

Pete

Lee Schierer
02-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Is the thrust bearing roatating freely? If the bearing doesn't rotate freely, then the blade may create a spark when they touch.

george wilson
02-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Are the guides ceramic?

Dan McCallum
02-11-2009, 8:38 PM
I get this on my MM16 as well. I think it is the chewed up thrust bearing that doesn't turn very well, I'm going to order replacements from Iturra. The teeth are not contacting the guides, it is possible to see if one looks closely (not too closely though mind you!).

It's been doing this for a while, ever since I tried resawing some logs that were too big and I had no business trying to resaw on the bandsaw. Wound up bending and damaging a bunch of stuff, including the thrust bearing. I have actually been worried about the sparks igniting the dust, which hasn't happened yet, but it's time to replace them before anything bad happens.

Dan

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2009, 9:17 PM
I don't get sparks on my MM-16.

Is it possible that it's caused by the weld on the blade?

I bought Mark Duginski's latest bandsaw book. I bought a hone and hone the rear corners and the back of the blade. I'm still using the cheap blade that came with the saw but I have 3 Olson bi-metal blades that I bought. Haven't had the need yet to use those 3.