PDA

View Full Version : Steel City Table Saws

Rick Gustafson
02-11-2009, 10:45 AM
I have been shopping table saws lately and was leaning towards the Craftsman 22124 until I found (on Sawmill Creek) that it is made by manufacturer of the Steel City Table Saws.

I really like what I see with the Steel City line especially the 3HP, 10 inch saws with 50 inch fences and am now trying to compare the SC 35618 (Toolking - $1,799.99) with the SC 35685 (Toolking - $999.99) Does anyone have any information on the differences between these two models? Is there really an $800 difference?

This is my first post so, thanks in advance for any information on the SC Saws.

John Thompson
02-11-2009, 11:57 AM
I have been shopping table saws lately and was leaning towards the Craftsman 22124 until I found (on Sawmill Creek) that it is made by manufacturer of the Steel City Table Saws.

I really like what I see with the Steel City line especially the 3HP, 10 inch saws with 50 inch fences and am now trying to compare the SC 35618 (Toolking - $1,799.99) with the SC 35685 (Toolking - $999.99) Does anyone have any information on the differences between these two models? Is there really an $800 difference?

The 35618 has been dis-continued and will be replaced with all granite tables, Rick. So.. the $999 is a close-out price. The 35685 is not dis-continued so that is the retail price. The 35618 was retailing for around $1299 so that is an excellent price. But.. what are the differences.

Both have the excellent Industrial 50" Fence.. both are left tilt.. tables are comparable.. both are well machined. But... the 35618 has smaller trunnions than the 35685.. sufficient by all means but smaller. Since that model will be replaced by a granite top with riving knife.. the trunnion system has to be replaced to accept the riving knife.. hence the dis-continuance and close out price.

So... the 35618 would fit most needs admirably but if one wanted to step up to larger trunnions then the 35685 fits that description at $1799. With that said I have the 35626 5 HP which now retails for $1899. It has massive trunnions which are slightly larger than the PM 66 and the same size as the Saw-stop. The tolerances (run-out.. etc.) were actually better than the PM 66 (old PM and not the PM 2000 with riving knife which has smaller trunnions comparable to the 35685) that I compared to and as good as the Saw-stop which is a $4000 saw.

I can assure you that both of the 3 HP saws will do anything that any other 3 HP saw can do but neither have a riving knife. The 5 HP saw is another step up as it eats 3" stock for lunch and you won't stall it regardless. I ripped 2000 linear feet of hickory ranging from 1" to 3" recently and it didn't even burp for almost 4 hour continous use.

Hopefully that helps in your decision as you know your own needs much better than we can precieve them...

Sarge..

Rick Gustafson
02-11-2009, 12:05 PM
John;

Thanks for you quick response. For clarification, the SC 35685 is the one priced at $999 at Toolking. Here is the link;

http://tools.toolking.com/search?w=Steel+City+35685

Price seem too good to be true so wanted some outside advice.

John Thompson
02-11-2009, 1:04 PM
I may have reversed the numbers as I demo'ed for SC at IWF and I have been known to do that with so many models. If you could take a look at both models and look at trunnion size.. that would clarify immediately but since at Tool King you can't.

Any-hooo.. unless you are are going to do anything commercial or really heavy duty as I do ( I rip air-dried rough for clients for hire) either saw would be a good choice and price is a concern these days for sure when I pay more for groceries a month than I purchased my first saw for back in 1974. :)

Good luck...

Sarge..

Charlie McGuire
02-11-2009, 1:55 PM
Rick,

The 35685 is basically the SC hybrid saw with a 3HP motor. As John said, the trunion is the same as in the hybrid - a contractor style with two rods.

The 35618 is a true 3HP cabinet saw with 3-belt heavy duty trunion.

John Thompson
02-11-2009, 5:30 PM
Charlie is correct, Rick. The smaller trunnion hybrid style only has one belt and the other has 3 with the larger trunnions. Forgot to mention that so.. again it just depends on how much you use the saw and how aggressive you need to be with it.

Thanks for the reminder Charlie.. I often have to take a look to remember the model #'s as there are a few for sure. :)

Sarge..

Kyle Tucker
02-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Sarge,

Just curious, how is the dust collection on this machine? Is the cabinet interior set up anything like the PM2000? I am reaaly intrigued by these saws, and eventually am looking to replace the Craftsman 22124 that I have. Thanks!

The 35618 has been dis-continued and will be replaced with all granite tables, Rick. So.. the $999 is a close-out price. The 35685 is not dis-continued so that is the retail price. The 35618 was retailing for around $1299 so that is an excellent price. But.. what are the differences.

Both have the excellent Industrial 50" Fence.. both are left tilt.. tables are comparable.. both are well machined. But... the 35618 has smaller trunnions than the 35685.. sufficient by all means but smaller. Since that model will be replaced by a granite top with riving knife.. the trunnion system has to be replaced to accept the riving knife.. hence the dis-continuance and close out price.

So... the 35618 would fit most needs admirably but if one wanted to step up to larger trunnions then the 35685 fits that description at $1799. With that said I have the 35626 5 HP which now retails for $1899. It has massive trunnions which are slightly larger than the PM 66 and the same size as the Saw-stop. The tolerances (run-out.. etc.) were actually better than the PM 66 (old PM and not the PM 2000 with riving knife which has smaller trunnions comparable to the 35685) that I compared to and as good as the Saw-stop which is a $4000 saw.

I can assure you that both of the 3 HP saws will do anything that any other 3 HP saw can do but neither have a riving knife. The 5 HP saw is another step up as it eats 3" stock for lunch and you won't stall it regardless. I ripped 2000 linear feet of hickory ranging from 1" to 3" recently and it didn't even burp for almost 4 hour continous use.

Hopefully that helps in your decision as you know your own needs much better than we can precieve them...

Sarge..

Kyle Tucker
02-12-2009, 12:41 AM

Rick,

I have the Craftsman model you are looking at and it is a really good saw. I have had it since 2005 and have had no complaints on accuracy and power. That said there are 2 things about this saw to consider. One would be the fence size. If you are wanting a 50" model, Biesemeyer or Sears does not offer that on this saw. You can order the 50" rails from Biesemeyer, but you will have to drill into the saw in order to mount - they do not offer a compatible upgrade that bolts up to the Craftsman. Secondly the dust collection on this saw is not the best. Most of the sawdust gets caught up in the cabinet, or comes out the top back at you. That said, an overarm system would surely rid most of the dust on top of the saw, and this is first "nice" saw I have owned, so I cannot tell you how well the others are in regards to cabinet dust collection. I too have been looking at larger saws, mainly because I want to upgrade to a larger fence, and instead of dumping some money into this one for new rails, table, etc., and improving the cabinet dust collection, I am considering selling it and spending the extra on a new saw. Hope this helps some and good luck...

Kyle

John Thompson
02-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Sarge,

Just curious, how is the dust collection on this machine? Is the cabinet interior set up anything like the PM2000? I am reaaly intrigued by these saws, and eventually am looking to replace the Craftsman 22124 that I have. Thanks!

Kyle... all the Steel City TS's at this point do not have a dust shroud. They have the sloped sheet metal tray from wall to wall that slopes to the dust port. I have had a TS with riving knife and a dust shroud. The shroud is a good idea as it funnels dust to the port but.. not all will stay in the shroud and eventually you have to open the door to vacuum out nooks and crannies.. corners.. etc. with a Shop Vac.

I had a Uni-saw that litterally threw dust and chips from every opening. I mean "spewed" as I had to tape off most of the angle adjuster opening and run campers tape all the way around the bottom of the table where the table meets the cabinet. But.. a very good saw otherwise IMO.

On the Steel City my main port gets the majority as it drops on the sloping chute. I use the saw about 3-4 hours a day on average and open the door every 3-4 days and suck up the dust in corners with the Shop Vac. It takes me just a few minutes.

With that said.. no TS will get it all or close unless you have some type of over-head collection. I have a large mouth sheild I made similar to the Shark Guard with a dedicated 6 HP Shop Vac that sits under the rigth table extension leading to it. What goes down is contained by the cabinet.. what goes up is captured by the over-head as I intentionally designed the port on the shield to sit directly over the front cutting teeth of the blade. With this combo.. I get between 90%-95% of all dust coming off the cut.

Hope that helps...

Sarge..