PDA

View Full Version : My first shopmade tools

Steve Campbell
02-11-2009, 10:31 AM
After loooking at all the handmade tools on here latly I just couldn't help myself. Had to try. This is what a trip to Menards will do for you. They are just one half inch cold rolled bar and a few HSS bits.
Now all I have to do is get down in the basement and ttry them out.
Thanks to all of you that posted pictures latly.

Steve

steven carter
02-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Nice looking tools, very professional job. Be sure to post what you make with them!

Steve

Norm Zax
02-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Tips are perhaps a wee bit too long. You wont know that till you get a catch, but if you don't, guess you'll be really happy with those! Reel them in a bit.
Congrats on nicely made tools!!

Bill Bolen
02-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Nice looking set of hollowers Steve. I'm sure they will serve you well and because you made them I think the fun factor will rise by an order of 10! How did you get the bend in your swan neck?. I need to make on of those myself. ... Bill...

Mike Peace
02-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Those look great! Let us know how they work.

I just got Ellsworth's new book with it's chapter on toolmaking. I think I may have to give making some hollowing tools a try as well. It gives me an excuse to buy a propane torch I could also use for charring on some turnings.

Steve Clardy
02-11-2009, 1:09 PM
Nice work!!!

Steve Campbell
02-11-2009, 1:59 PM
Thanks for all the comments so far. I just came up from the shop where I tried out my new tools. I rough turned a birch end grain hollow form. It is about 6 inches high by 7 inches across. Any comments would be more than welcome.
As far as the tools went, I soon found out that you were right about the bits sticking out to far. Not a problem just pushed it in a bit and re tightened the set screws. For the most part they worked very good. The swan neck tool was a little grabby. The other two worked about the way i expected.
This is my first hollow form with other than a small Sorby swan neck scraper.
Bill I made the bends in the swan neck by heating it with a propane torch and sticking the end in a whole in on of my basement support posts.
Well better get my jug in the DNA before it starts to dry out too fast..............
Thanks again guys

Steve

Wyatt Holm
02-11-2009, 2:00 PM
Looks good. How did you make the swivel assembly?

Steve Schlumpf
02-11-2009, 3:05 PM
Tools look really good Steve! Nice looking hollow form - so you know the tools work just fine! Looking forward to seeing the finished version of your HF! Nice work on everything!

Bill Bolen
02-11-2009, 3:09 PM
Nice form on you new HF. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece...Bill..

Wayne Bower
02-11-2009, 3:10 PM
Good looking tools, Steve. I agree with Bill the fun factor is a lot higher with shop made tools. I have made several.

Bernie Weishapl
02-11-2009, 4:05 PM
Great looking HF as well as great looking tools.

Steve Campbell
02-12-2009, 8:30 AM
Thanks again for the comments. Wyatt the swivel assembly is real easy. I just took a hack saw and cut a flat on the end of the bar.
drill and tap a hole for a 1/4 inch screw. The swivel itself is nothing more than a heavy duty washer. Just a chunk of 1/8 inch HHS then the washer and screw, tighten good done.
Bill you are right about the "fun factor" It is kind of nice to use something I made myself.
Now all I need is some fresh cut wood to play some more with. I guess it's time to head for the woods.

Steve

Cyril Griesbach
02-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Steve, the swan neck tool is grabby because the curve extends beyond the line of the shaft and the bit extends it even further. If you cut it back so the cutter is in line with the shaft that should take much of the torque away. Of course you know to keep the straight shaft on the tool rest and not the curve.

Wyatt Holm
02-12-2009, 11:50 AM
I agree with Cyril you should make the cutter tip in line with the tool shank. Thanks for the info on the swivel assembly. You should be able to find some good wood by talking to tree removal companies and asking them where they put the trees that are to large to shred. I recently picked up some locust and elm from a wood yard, great stuff. And also look around for people getting nice trees removed and see if you can get some of the wood.

Steve Campbell
02-12-2009, 1:00 PM
Cyril and Wyatt thanks for the heads up on the swan neck being too long. I kind of figured that it was but I wanted to make sure I didn't bend too far forward and bend the part that the bit slides into. Well the next one will be better.

As far as wood goes, I live in a small town with woods all around here. Finding wood is not a problem. Not being lazy is. I still have some nice Maple and I think some Cherry outside under the snowdrifts.

Thanks again guys

Steve

George Van
02-14-2009, 8:04 AM
Steve, you have a great AAW group in Duluth. Alan Lacer demoed last month, Jimmy Clewes, Mathew Hill, Alan Lacer last year. Superior Woodturners.

Steve Campbell
02-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the heads up George. I live about a hundred miles south of Superior. Too far for me to make the trip. I am closer to the Twin Cities but even that is about seventy miles or so. I work construction in the summers and I get WAY too much driving then. Well some day when I retire I may look more closely into a club...

Steve

Art Kelly
02-14-2009, 6:13 PM
You could be sucked right out of the turner's vortex into the world of "Which Quenchant Should This Sad, Pathetic, Helpless Newby Use to Harden O-1 Steel?"

I think that thread is running to five pages at this moment, and some flames are showing around the edges...:eek:

Georgia Custom Knifemakers Guild is a good place to avoid, as well as any forum that mentions "anvil" and "fire" in the same sentence.;)

So many neuroses, and a forum for each and every one!:confused:

Art