PDA

View Full Version : Minimax MM20 Questions - 2003 vintage...

larry bradley
02-11-2009, 9:32 AM
Hi Guys-

Trying to get my hands on a bandsaw to do some resawing - mostly taking old pine joists/studs/beams into flooring and finish/trim stock, and other general 'rip it in half' sawing needed in renovating old houses - to make a piece of trim, or match a moulding, etc.

I've got a lead on a lightly used 2003 MM20. It's weight is high 580 lbs. or thereabouts (lighter than newer mm20?) and has the 4.8hp motor. It's got slightly lower resaw height (16"?) than the newer vintage MM20's.

Any reasons to be wary of the 2003 MM20? Any changes made since then for the better? Is this the vintage that had switch issues? I've heard about difficulties using small blades - 1/4" - though I would mostly be doing straight rips with a 3/4 or 1" blade. I suppose down the road I'd like to do some finer woodworking and would like to pass this saw to my son in 20 years. Possible?

I've been studying up on the Euro bandsaws for a while and I really like the sound of the minimax. The MM16 would be great for me - but I've got a lead on the MM20 for about what a new MM16 would be and it's close enough to take a trip and pick up and eliminate costly shipping.

Any 2003 MM20 owners out there with thoughts?

Thanks.

Tony Scolaro
02-11-2009, 9:53 AM
I don't own one. My friend loves his 24" Here is a starting place to join a group you can join that will have answers and lots of previous Post good luck. http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/MiniMax-USA/

Tony

Jim Becker
02-11-2009, 11:33 AM
It's a good machine, Larry. I have it's smaller sibling, a 2003 MM16.

Jim Dailey
02-11-2009, 12:25 PM
I own one. Never an issue. With the Lenox carbide blade it rips anything even teak like butter.

For me the 16" throat will handle anything I want to cut and frankly 16" terrifies me :eek: Like any tool, power or manual you need to treat it with a good deal of respect.

jim

Mike Heidrick
02-11-2009, 3:15 PM
My newer MM20 is 765 lbs or so the literature specs say and 20" resaw. HEAVY!!! It will compress pneumatice dolly wheels if not centered! I have no issues running a 1/4" blade or a 1.25" Lennox blade. You will love it! Anything that goes wrong minimax will stand behind you. Call tham and ask - you will be impressed.

larry bradley
02-11-2009, 4:10 PM
Thanks for all the info gentlemen. :)

Any sense of where the extra 180lbs is coming from with the 2003 mm20 vs. the newer models? Is it just added height of the frame?

Does the 1/4" blade just ride the middle of the tires whereas with the 1" blade the teeth just barely hang off ?

If I could get it in the $2500 range would that be a reasonable value?

And if I can get it with Zambus casters thrown for a bit more should I go for those?

thanks again.

Chris Padilla
02-11-2009, 4:17 PM
I have one...and older one but since I got mine used, I don't rightly know what year it was manufactured but the resaw height is more like 15 3/4" :D I got 'er up to 12 1/4" on resawing some walnut into veneers. Man, that is some work!

The tires are flat (as opposed to crowned). I've been running a 1/2" blade for my resawing lately.

I recall paying around 2100-2200 for my MM20 back in 2004. I do have some switch issues here and there but it is usually just a stuck switch and popping off the cover and dinking with it for 20 s usually fixes it for a couple of months.

Mine came without the mobility kit so I added that on. I recall that being around $160ish? Zambus would be some nice casters to get...I've been meaning to order some....

Glenn Shotwell
02-11-2009, 8:29 PM
I bought a used MM20 about a year ago. It is the larger resaw capacity than the 16" you mention though. I forget the date but I'm thinking 06' or so.

Anyway, what I'd like to say is that you won't feel left out by buying a used Mini Max. I have had questions concerning my used saw and Mini Max is great about getting back to me and answering them. Sam Blasco even called me back a few times and left messages that he had called and was trying to get back to me because he never got through to me, because I was too busy for a few weeks there to return his calls. And they, and he, knew I was a new owner of a used saw from a private party. I feel this says a lot for this company. New owners that buy from them directly can expect good resale value when used buyers are going to get great service too.

Great band saw, super smooth running. I have the mobility kit and it is ok to move the saw around in my garage, but would like to get some of the Zambus casters eventually. Think I'll get a good carbide blade first though. I got a bunch of regular blades, from 1/2" to 1", when I bought the saw and they are working great for now.

Nothing that I've cut bogs the MM20 down. Compared to my 14" Delta, which I always seem to bog down.

Doug Shepard
02-11-2009, 9:00 PM
I know they've changed to a different switch due to the number of problems with the older one, and also changed the way the throat plate insert on the table mounts. The older insert could be tougher to get set level with the table and the new one also makes it easier to make your own insert plates for zero cleanace ones. Neither of these is a big issue but you did ask. The MM16 is one of the best tool purchases I've done.

larry bradley
02-12-2009, 8:34 AM
Thanks gents.

Doug - the throat plate insert - is that the insert in the table that the blade runs through - or is that the 'zero clearance insert' ?

Is there a particular make on the switch that was giving problems(or way to tell if I have the one prone to problems)? The current owner thought this switch might be from before those problems began - and that they changed switch maker and that's when the problems began that are discussed in many posts.

Is there an online MM20 manual or parts schematic?

For the 30 amp 220volt circuit I'm running to the saw - does that need to be 10 guage - or is 12 guage sufficient? I know I can consult wiring code to double check.

Bill Stoffels
02-12-2009, 8:52 AM
Larry,
I also bought a MM16 bandsaw , but got it as a reconditioned one thru Minimax, price was approx. $500.00 off of list and the machine works great.
I would go with the 10 ga wiring in that 12 may work but its not much more to get a 8 ft pc of 10 GA.
I am pretty sure that when I hooked mine up it was 20 amps at 220V not 30 .
You will be glad you bought it but you might also be able to get a new MM20 for $2500.00 minus shipping.
Bill

Doug Shepard
02-12-2009, 9:13 AM
Doug - the throat plate insert - is that the insert in the table that the blade runs through - or is that the 'zero clearance insert' ?

Yeah. The older type is a black plastic affair with adjusting screws under the 4 corners and sits down inside a cavity roughly 2" deep. It's not a zero clearance type. It also has to be removed for tilted table cuts or the blade will hit the side of the slot (at least on the larger angles). The new tables have a machined ledge all the way around the opening and the insert sits on that. You can make your own ZCI's (for straight or angled cuts) pretty easily just planing something to the ledge depth and cutting to size.
I wouldn't pass up a good deal on the older type but the newer table style is better.

larry bradley
02-12-2009, 9:34 AM
Bill - when you say "new mm20 for $2500 minus shipping" - did you mean "new mm16"? aren't the mm20's over $3k new (plus i'll have to add another $300-400 to get it shipped to Virginia)?

thanks.

Chris Padilla
02-12-2009, 11:04 AM
As far as a ZCI goes, keep in mind that the clearance around the blade could be a ZCI but you may still want holes in the rest of the insert in order to ensure good dust collection. I dunno, a ZCI isn't easy to make for a bandsaw due to how the blade mounts and runs and I wonder how necessary it is anyway. Bandsaws aren't designed to make finished cuts so I dunno.... :)

larry bradley
02-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks for all the info guys.

I got my MM20 yesterday - with the zambus casters - and a woodslicer 3/4" and a lenox trimaster 1", and a number of other blades - and ended up around $2k.

I went with a helper to get it and sheesh it's a beast to lay down. We eased it down onto it's back with some rope/winch work, then winched it up onto my low trailer, secured it down - and then on the other end winched it down and slid it (assisted by the 2 mobility wheels at bottom end) around the back of my house to my basement walkout doors into the basement, and then threw the winch over the basement center beam and winched it back up to vertical until it rolled to rest under the beam. whew! thank goodness for my 8' plus basement ceilings and being at grade in the rear.

I"ll post a thread with some photos of my new beast soon. Very excited to resaw some old pine. I've got to run that 10/3 and 30Amp breaker.

Chris Padilla
02-13-2009, 1:19 PM
Sounds like you got a fabulous deal, Larry! Yes, we do need pics! :D No-a pics, didn't-a happen-a!! ;)

larry bradley
02-17-2009, 12:26 AM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff104/virginiarenovator/shop%20tool%20photos/02-14-2009_184.jpg

Doug Shepard
02-17-2009, 5:24 AM
He shoots. He scores.:cool:
Nice.

Chris Padilla
02-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Beautiful! How do you like those casters? I'm really thinking to pick some up. I guess you don't need that mobility kit on there with those caster...right? :)