PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sander source

David Song
02-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can get a Jet/Performax drum sander at a good price? 10-20 or 16-32

Also, anyone else recommend other brand/model drum sander over the Performax on a similar size and price point?

thanks!

Dewey Torres
02-11-2009, 2:13 AM
David... go for the 16/32 vs the mini if your buget will allow. It is perfect for a small shop but ins't so small leaving you to want more.

Download a program called SNARFER from here (http://www.snarfware.com/) and set it up the auto search CL for you. Great deals of late in tough times folks are letting their tools go for pennies.

Jim Kountz
02-11-2009, 8:02 AM
+1 for the 16-32

John Bush
02-11-2009, 8:05 AM
be patient and check CL. They pop up frequently

Perry Underwood
02-11-2009, 8:45 AM
Ryobi used to make a 16/32 drum sander. Sometimes they're on eBay for around 250-300 dollars. Not considered as good as the Jet, but I have one (purchased directly from the factory in Taiwan) and it works well. Here's the link from the factory.

http://www.maoshan.com/product_1_table.asp?id=32&ids=6&page=1

Steel City used to sell a version of this drum sander that was slightly modified. Accura still has their version on their website.

http://www.accuramachinetools.com/accura-01632-single-drum-open-sided-1632-inch-drum-sander-w.html

Jim Dailey
02-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Dave,

I can't speak from direct contact on the Performax. But bigger is better...

As for the Ryobi that Perry mentioned, I've owned one - NO to the Ryobi

I know a number of people on the Creek have posted issues with the Delta, but they are Ok once they get set up correctly & like all of the small units work fine as long as you take light passes. I owned one after the Ryobi, they are a MUCH better machine.

I have known several VERY skilled mechanical people who have owned Grizzly drum sanders... the language these guy's used to describe would make a dock worker blush trying to get these working. Based on their VERY strong negative comments I never owned a Grizzly drum sander.

If budget & space permits go for a Woodmaster. I've had a 38" (sold this for $1,500) & now moved to the 50" They do have a 26" version of these machines which like the 38" uses a 5hp Lesson. The 50" uses a 7hp Lesson. The variable speed drive belts run by a 1/2hp chain drive motor on the Woodmasters are not sand paper belts but use the same heavy rubber belt material as a wide belt sander. These are serious machines, just short of a wide belt sander without the expense. Woodmaster has a sale on there scratch & dent units ending this month that is the best I have seen them offer, nearly used prices on sanders & planers.

I'd vote for watching the classifieds' or Craig's list or even eBay if there is on close that you can pick up.

Hope this helps, "Good Luck",
jim

george wilson
02-11-2009, 12:35 PM
I have a Delta.Love it,and cheaper than the Performax. It is a LOT more rigid than the Performax. I easily adjusted the outboard elevation screws on the feed table to get not even .001" variation in thickness over the width of a 10" wide board.

The head of the Performax,or any other open side sander whose head goes up and down,is easily flexed. Put a thumb on the feed table,and a finger on the sanding head. It easily flexes up and down.

The Delta's dust hood is exceedingly efficient at getting all but a tiny amount of the dust. The sanding band's clamps work fine-no taping the sandpaper on.

Don't bother buying 220 belts for any of them. 120 is the limit,or loading and burning result. I am going to try some blue zirconia belts in 220. The blue ones cut a lot better on my knife maker's grinder. That may apply to wood in the 220 grit region.

Joe Von Kaenel
02-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Dave,

I bought a new 16-32 on Amazon for less than $1000 about 5 months ago. It is a great sander IMO The current price on Amazon is$1049.99 Free shipping is available. I found better prices online than locally. The local retailer has to mark up the price also. Hope this helps

Joe